YM!

Weekend Thread | October 7-10th | Smile grins with a powerful $18.5m second weekend (18% drop!), Lyle hums a tune to $11.4m, Amsterdam gets karma'd with $6.4m

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I will never understand people who compare The Ring with Smile. Never. Like... they are so far from each other. If anything, the one movie it reminded me was It Follows because of the passing between people thing, but that was it.

Horror is so diverse that when it has loose connective tissue or aesthetics from one to another it is easy to snark from one to the other.

It wouldn't occur to someone who says Smile and the Ring are the same film to equally say that Spinal Tap and What We Do in the Shadows are the same film, or say that Any Two Romcoms are the same film, or Die Hard is the same film as The Towering Inferno when there are about the same level of similarities.

I remember at the start of the IMDB era when armchair critics were trying to justify the mass hatred of Event Horizon (for the crime of being a horror film that took itself seriously in the immediate post-Scream landscape.) by saying it was a ripoff of.......ALIEN.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I will never understand people who compare The Ring with Smile. Never. Like... they are so far from each other. If anything, the one movie it reminded me was It Follows because of the passing between people thing, but that was it.

I assume it’s the whole 7 days thing.

8 hours ago, Flopped said:

I dont think it will get a BP nom. Todd Field's past movies In the Bedroom and Little Children are not exactly accessible but they're MUCH more accessible than Tar. 

There are 10 Picture nominees now (they should go back to 5 since anything but 2 maaybe 3 is pure filler), so including a well-reviewed arthouse movie is more likely than not. They try to make their Picture nominees in expanded field more eclectic so it isn't just biopics. Especially since it's a pretty showy direction from what I read so Directors, who have more highbrow taste than rest of AMPAS, could back it up. But then those bastards snubbed Villeneuve for DUNC so what does anyone know? His directon was the kind they always nominate - showy, technically complex, huge scope - until they didn't. 

35 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I assume it’s the whole 7 days thing.

Fake. If you have seen the movie you know there isn't a set date. It goes from as little as 4 days to a full week.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Smile - 5.4

Wow GIF

Potential $17M+ second weekend (-25%). I know there are hurricane and holiday impacts in that ratio, but still

Damn, that Smile hold is honestly insane. It honestly deserves it. Not a game changer, but still solid Halloween fun. The talk about it being shifted from streaming fodder to theatrical release is what pushed me over the fence.

Amsterdam bombing is a big win for not just trans women, but everyone regardless of ethnicity or orientation. The director is a jackass long overdue a beating.

• Like 1

Also Lyle will probably get to $11-12M due to matinees being stronger on the weekends but it's still looking at a rather dismal PTA for a movie in so many theaters (4,300+). Definitely not going to ease the industry's concerns that families have abandoned the multiplex after two years of kids movies from all studios pivoting to streaming, especially when the only overperformers this year (Sonic and Minions) did so thanks to a surprisingly high non-family turnout.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's still hilarious and wild to me that Renner got paid more than JLaw did on American Hustle when he had the least to work with out of all five stars. Being one of The Avengers (vs. being the unquestionable lead of the big-but-not-as-gargantuan The Hunger Games) must've been incredible leverage at the time.

Renner's agents must have negotiated his AH contract back when he was the next big thing poised to take over Bourne and Mission: Impossible, before both franchises were like, "Never mind!"

I finally found a premise of Tár that wasn't super generic... Well, Film Twitter/TikTok will be sooooo much fun when Austin Butler and Cate win Best Actor and Best Actress for those roles.

Great for Smile! The Ring had crazy legs back in the day.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

The Ring literally ends with her passing it on to someone else. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Smile - 5.4
Lyle - 3.4
Amsterdam - 2.6

Isn't Monday a holiday in some parts of the country? That might help Smile with an even crazier weekend hold.

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also Lyle will probably get to $11-12M due to matinees being stronger on the weekends but it's still looking at a rather dismal PTA for a movie in so many theaters (4,300+). Definitely not going to ease the industry's concerns that families have abandoned the multiplex after two years of kids movies from all studios pivoting to streaming, especially when the only overperformers this year (Sonic and Minions) did so thanks to a surprisingly high non-family turnout.

I mean, it could also be that Lyle looks kinda babyish and forgettable, like it could have been a made for streaming feature? Families haven’t “abandoned the multiplex, but with more at home options - especially at the theatrical price point - are becoming more discerning about their movie choices. Can not longer just roll out a basic, non-brand/event, something to kill 2 hours on a Saturday family release and expect people to show up; the bar has been raised 

There are also demographic differences between the Sonic/Minions audiences and something like Lyle. Studios will learn quickly to follow the money

1 minute ago, M37 said:

I mean, it could also be that Lyle looks kinda babyish and forgettable, like it could have been a made for streaming feature? Families haven’t “abandoned the multiplex, but with more at home options - especially at the theatrical price point - are becoming more discerning about their movie choices. Can not longer just roll out a basic, non-brand/event, something to kill 2 hours on a Saturday family release and expect people to show up; the bar has been raised 

There are also demographic differences between the Sonic/Minions audiences and something like Lyle. Studios will learn quickly to follow the money

Maybe, but if Strange World (which everyone is already probably expecting to be lucky if it even makes as much as Lightyear) and Puss in Boots also underperform, that's only going to lead to more articles from the trades about the future being bleak for family fare in theaters (not good news for theaters since they tend to make most of their money from concessions to begin with, and families are obviously the biggest source of income there).

• Like 1