YM!

Weekend Thread | October 7-10th | Smile grins with a powerful $18.5m second weekend (18% drop!), Lyle hums a tune to $11.4m, Amsterdam gets karma'd with $6.4m

13 hours ago, Eric the Crocodile said:

RT Verified Aud. scores as of this morning (note both have less than 50 votes, can change like a dime):

Amsterdam: 63% (KARMA)

Lyle, Lyle Crocodile: 81%

I will also mention with both now having over 100+ verified reviews, Lyle is now at 93%. Which...yeah, sounds about right. Amsterdam's at 62%, yikes burger central

• Like 1

Just now, Eric the Crocodile said:

And yeah, Tar feels like a 15-20M grosser if it gets a Best Picture nom. The passion from critics groups is there, so hopefully it translates to those Academy normies?

I cannot image how this movie does 20M.  Even 10M is a stretch.  Unless they A24 it and dupe the audience opening weekend into thinking it's something else. 

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

I cannot image how this movie does 20M.  Even 10M is a stretch.  Unless they A24 it and dupe the audience opening weekend into thinking it's something else. 

It could still find an audience though, especially with those fantastic reviews.

Keep in mind you thought Smile would have bad legs and that paramount were paying for positive tweets, yet it’s had incredible holds throughout the week. 

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It could still find an audience though, especially with those fantastic reviews.

Keep in mind you thought Smile would have bad legs and that paramount were paying for positive tweets, yet it’s had incredible holds throughout the week. 

Smile is a generic Ring rehash for a new generation that hasn't seen it. It's doing well for the very reasons I disliked it (never underestimate the stupidity of the general public). Tar has characters sitting around for 20 minute stretches talking about classical music and composition. 

If it wasn't for VFX crunch we'd be seeing Spider-Verse 2 this weekend, and Sony would be making a pretty penny. Instead we have a random talking crocodile movie released randomly in October underperforming. Amsterdam is also yet another dud from Foxney. Their future rests pretty much entirely on the Avatar sequels now. May Allah have mercy on the employees' souls if Way of Water underperforms in any way.

Creep aside, DOR I find to be a Tom Hooper type example of overinflation of director reputation.

He was a benefactor of a dearth of 'auteur' type directors and so when he made a couple of competent movies that, more importantly, came out at the right time of the year he was perceived way above his station.

American Hustle is decent, no more no less and sails by on its acting performances.

Silver Linings Playbook is very mediocre, but then I don't really understand why the book is popular either so perhaps I'm not the best person to evaluate it.

4 hours ago, Flopped said:

Smile is a generic Ring rehash for a new generation that hasn't seen it. It's doing well for the very reasons I disliked it (never underestimate the stupidity of the general public). 

"Smile is a generic X rehash" is the new "Hereditary is a generic Y rehash." in that X and Y change.

Weird actually that everyone who criticises Smile chooses a completely different movie to declare it's rehashing. Babadook. Conjuring. It Follows.

For clarification:

Spoiler

Ring has a relentlessly and deliberately sombre tone and is relentless in its implication of a miserable end v Smile is perpetually anxiety inducing precisely because it implies a possible means out of the situation.

Ring features a known element and clearly defined spirit v Smile which has an uncanny non-defined antagonist.

Smile features far more jump scares than Ring which is primarily a tonal film.

Smile is rooted in a thematic representation of Trauma, Ring is far less thematic but where it is it's about vengeance.

Smile is much more personal in its pursuit of chosen individuals for a narrative reason, Ring has an impersonal antagonist that doesn't care who you are.

Smile uses an ever changing semiotic that exists in the world around you, Ring doesn't have any equivalent of this.

Smile maintains a relationship between the entity and the victim throughout the time period, Ring doesn't

Smile's threat is an uncanny human personification, Ring's is a spectral one.

But....y'know.....a generic rehash. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Thanks 1

The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle are all great. I stand by them. Joy was... watchable I guess.

Having said this, after I found out what DOR did it is hard to support him or even care about what he does. He is trash and he deserves what is happening to him this weekend with Amsterdam.

• Like 1

I will never understand people who compare The Ring with Smile. Never. Like... they are so far from each other. If anything, the one movie it reminded me was It Follows because of the passing between people thing, but that was it.