YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

They should have opened this exact film (meaning you know who at end credits) and opened it in late July.

I presume you mean the 7/29 weekend … and then lost all PLF to Bullet Train the following week?  Late October release does cut down on legs a bit, but the alternative was September, not July (and I’m not sure if was certain to be ready by then)

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

it would have opened mid $70s and had free run all summer. Release date was very foolish. 

You have no evidence for this claim, as summer means softer OW as more business is spread out over the week. And even if it did open like F9, that’s a $173M DOM total, and I’ve got BA penciled in for like $160M

• Like 1

WB about to do Superman vs. Black Adam as the film BVS:DOJ was supposed to be, and then follow up with an updated Justice League film.

Watch. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Ya I don’t think BA is gonna do huge numbers or may not even break even but WBD has to be happy with some good headlines for once in the last few months. 

This. 

Multiplier through the weekend was good, but eyes are really on the hold. 
A film like this with no competition and The Rock at its centre should be doing $200 million plus. There’s no other way to spin it. Clearly it would have if the reception had been strong, but I can’t 100% call that out until we see the holds. I mean look at what happened with Venom. 

Some films definitely get the ‘it’s not that bad’ cred like that’s some sort of endorsement for people to go and enjoy it with lower expectations. Such a weird culture we live in now. Lol. 

• Like 1

Terrifier 2 is an awesome movie. Thrilled to see it growing week to week.

$23.7m Saturday for Black Adam, per Deadline. I wasn't a fan of BA, but these numbers are honestly pretty good, and if anything I see the trades being conservative and the actuals come in a little higher each day. If only WB tapered down the budget. I'm mostly excited at what the film could influence in the DCEU moving forward.

Edited by Dragoncaine

5 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Not bad at all actually;

I mean some of us were even expecting Shazam level or even below 50m based on presales.

Let's see how it does overseas.

Why do people keep comparing it to Shazam? Shazam cost 100m to make.. BA cost double that so this is bad. 

3 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Why do people keep comparing it to Shazam? Shazam cost 100m to make.. BA cost double that so this is bad. 

Because of the presales of BA,

plus Shazam was:

1) pre-pandemic

2) Highly praised (best DCEU film at the time alongside WW)

3) More well-known

We are not talking about how much it needs to earn to breakeven.. just talking about expectations based on latest presales and buzz.

• Like 3