Eric Prime

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

DS2 was the next big multiverse chapter after the gigantic hit of NWH and was marketed as this crazy fest of cameos and appearances.

People acting like it is a normal sequel and made what it did because of the popularity of Strange 1 and/or Wandavision is either being naive or dishonest.

So a sequel to Dr Strange and Wandavision should hit 1.3 billion because of a post credit scene?

Most people were probably confused by the first MOM trailer.

This wasn't like Civil War where it was essentially an Avengers movie with a hyper focus on RDJ and Chris Evans.

It was Wandavision/Dr Strange mash up. Why would it match Civil War at the box office?

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You forgot Age of Ultron. But dont worry. Everyone else has as well.

Nah just got my definition of a sequel mixed up. Assumed that a sequel are all the  movies after the  first in a franchise but  a sequel is the direct follow up of the previous installment.

IW is still technically sequel but  to AOU 

I’m actually surprised the general audience reaction to WF seems as good as it is.  

I still don’t think the legs will be all that though.  The reaction being more ‘yeah, I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t as good as the first one’ translating into less repeat viewings, or extreme enthusiasm for the fence sitters to actually go. 

23 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I actually think bp2 is far better then any phase 4 marvel film and there no competition much till avatar

Think it should finish near 500 million

i found large chunks of it better than most of the phase 4 movies, I agree. But as a complete film from beginning to end it has problems the others don’t. 

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

So long as it opens to over about $160m, Avatar 2 will leg straight to the bank. As the quality is umatched, and the christmas period is perfect.

Just be glad Avatar 2 is not opening in November.

Cause the chances for 550m drop substantially with a 160m OW.

24 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Other 300+:

dory

frozen 2

TS4

PotCDMC

IM3

T:RotF

SMFFH

gotg2

SW:RotS

Minions Gru

thor L&T 

Two towers

Excluding McU, mostly the latter case of typical Hollywood sequels imo

Sure, but there was quite a bit of gross inflation starting in mid/late 2000s.  As late as 2005-06 there was only one such film for each year (only 9 total from 98-06), and by 2012 there were 5 alone in that year, up to 9 by 2016.  I was using that $300M number as a benchmark for "high-end grossing film of its time", not an absolute value

There just aren't many examples of a film opening to like top 20 all time and then being bested by a sequel, unless its part of a known story arc. (The one exception are the animated/family films, but I'd argue those a different beast than the GA/franchise features)

1 hour ago, Factcheck said:

No, they didn't market MoM as the next multiversal event; people assumed it themselves. Doctor Strange was the 2nd lead in Infinity War importance-wise, so when he appeared in NWH, it was obvious that people would see him as the next Tony Stark figure of the MCU, get excited for the movie, and see the movie as the most important movie of the current saga. But if they didn't get what they had assumed, then it was not Marvel Studios' fault.

The movie is literally named Multiverse of Madness

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Eh 180 isn't what it used to be. Granted we don't have that many guaranteed mega openers at the moment so indeed it's hard to think of very many movies for which 180 is disappointing -- but that says more about the current state of blockbusters than anything else.

180 is ~38th all-time adjusted OW. Couple other openings in similar ballpark:

Fallen Kingdom 148M 2018 (35th)

Minions 1 116M 2015 (40th)

Transformers AoE 100M 2014 (40th)

Edited by Legion By Night
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Verrows said:

The Jurassic World Dominion box office is the epitome of MEH for me. Kinda feels like it is to the Jurassic franchise as Rise of Skywalker was to Star Wars. Not as meh as that but sort of in that category.

I actually enjoyed the film more than most though. Just thought that it landed with a resounding thump at the box office given its status as the big finale.

Film 1: $652M

Film 2: $417M

Film 3: $376M (with huge inflation)

Bleh.

For you it was bleh, for me it was Mega bleh.

But that doesn't change the fact that it is still the 2nd highest grossing movie of 2022.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, M37 said:

It might actually be getting more (or at least equivalent) showings than other recent limited releases because of the extended hours to accommodate BPWF. Like you’re not definitely not running a 9a or probably even 11p show of Fablemans normally, but if you’re already going to be open, then why not (as AMC Lincoln Square did)

To be fair, at that time of night those theaters would likely rather put on another Black Panther show than a Fabelmans one that would barely sell anything because its primary target audience is old. A lot of theaters around me had nothing but Black Panther on almost every screen past a certain hour near me this weekend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

180 is ~38th all-time adjusted OW. Couple other openings in similar ballpark:

Fallen Kingdom 148M 2018 (35th)

Minions 1 116M 2015 (40th)

Transformers AoE 100M 2014 (40th)

We might have to adjust our thinking going forward. Box office dynamics have changed and inflation isn't keeping up with attendance decline to make this an apt comparison anymore. Obviously there are going to be outlier films that buck the trend but as a whole it would seem that hype/interest aren't translating to the degree that they would have pre-pandemic. 

Edited by K'uk'ulkan XXR
  • Like 2

I know I always go on about it, but when considering $180 million being ‘disappointing’ when adjusting for inflation on other movies…..

don’t forget those other movies weren’t accessible in 4K Dolby Vision at home for free in less than two months.  We can’t ignore there’s a little chunk of even an MCU audience that would normally go to theaters that have now been conditioned to wait until Xmas for the freebie in all its glory. That’s something Disney has to undo sooner rather than later, and until they do I don’t think you can leave that out as a factor that’s taken a little bite even with an OW for BP2. 

6 minutes ago, K'uk'ulkan XXR said:

We might have to adjust our thinking going forward. Box office dynamics have changed and inflation isn't keeping up with attendance decline to make this an apt comparison anymore. Obviously there are going to be outlier films that buck the trend but as a whole it would seem that hype/interest aren't translating to the degree that they would have pre-pandemic. 

Yeah, I think there's something to this. But it doesn't really make the OWs any more exciting to me. 

9 minutes ago, K'uk'ulkan XXR said:

gotta consider opening weekends getting bigger due to biz getting frontloaded.

• Like 1