Eric the IF

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

7 minutes ago, InVy said:

tbh we don't know. Little Mermaid is the first remake from the big 4 where they change the main character. How much their success is based on being as similar as possible to the original we'll see with her cause it should be easily doing a billion cause Little Mermaid arguably is only less popular than Lion King but we'll see. At least it's still a musical(cough cough Mulan)

I think it's that main character change that will be the impetus for its success. Halle's casting is infinitely more interesting than if they got Sadie Sink or whoever. It's an exciting change that keeps this movie fresh, but not too different since we're getting the original songs and storyline, and it's exciting for a demographic that don't normally see themselves in this kind of role. Before Little Mermaid, the last Black princess story we got was Princess and the Frog and before that...that Cinderella TV movie with Brandy. This has been long overdue and will get people in seats. I am beyond tired of these stupid remakes and even I'm probably going to catch Little Mermaid just because I want to see Halle pull it off and support her work.

And judging by some of The Quorum's metrics and reactions from some friends, that teaser trailer really started this movie on the right foot. Things are shaping up great for the movie IMO.

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

The quality and reception for Indy will make or break it tho. I feel Little Mermaid has a better chance of being #1 as it only needs to be Aladdin-level good to win out.

Ofc this is assuming something like The Flash or Blue Beetle doesn't break out.

Well I have tons of faith in Indy being good. There's way too many talented people behind and in front of the camera and way too much pressure for this not to be another Crystal Skull that it will at least be a fun time. Plus unlike the usual "it's a finale but not really because the franchise will come back again" (Guardians 3 and F9 will do the whole "end of an era" thing, which will be hilarious in about 8 years), they are dead set on this being the final movie and Ford's last rendition of the character. That's already an amazing hook that will get even skeptics willing to come out.

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Holly shit, this is bad. When even the greatest director is flopping this badly, you know things are never going back to what they were

Ok but does anyone care about the greatest director making a love letter to himself and his talent and perseverance as a filmmaker? Bit off-putting. This would have bombed even in 1993. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Eric Clade said:

Also The Little Mermaid won't be hit by the "anti-wokers". They have no power on a movie's success or popularity. If anything, I'm confident that it could rank second for the year, only behind Indiana Jones.

I'd probably bet one of those doesn't even make Top 5 DOM or WW...

Remakes have fallen out of favor...and Indy 5 follows a subpar previous movie...

If next year was stronger, I might join a club that says both miss Top 5...but alas, looking at the schedule, it seems like 1 probably has to end up there...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Guardians 3 tho could be their best shot in a billion grosser. It's the final movie, we know not all characters are gonna make it until the end, and it's probably gonna be very fun and very emotional which helps rewatchability

Nothing will flop but it will be worse than 2022.

… on Disney+, which is part of the problem. 

• Like 2

Just now, Krissykins said:

… on Disney+, which is part of the problem. 

Yeah, now that I have D+ for the year til next Black Friday, I'll probably go out for 1-2 of the Disney supers once, but that's it...and it will probably be the one the kid wants b/c it's his Christmas present movie subscription again...

Interesting that Deadline notes that Glass Onion has to come off from theatrical viewing this week, but can be brough back Dec 23.  I imagine a LOT of places may bring it back for Christmas, since they'll want to toss all the others openers from this weekend by that week, and there isn't THAT much opening in Avatar 2's wake...screen #10-12 might be an attractive fill, especially if Netflix makes it attractive on the revenue split...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

But seriously now, the demo being this young shows Chalamet has a fanbase. He's a star and has a bright future.

When I saw Dune, there was a whole group of 14-year-olds who were clearly only there to see Timothee and Zendaya, since that was all they ever talked about before the movie started. I don't know how they felt about the movie, but they were probably upset Zendaya was only in the film for 15 minutes lmao

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1