Eric the Ape

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

Just saw Wakanda Forever. 

It's a good movie for sure, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who liked the first. But, I understand why it's not breaking out as much as some hoped at the box office. It's solid but nothing extraordinary, nothing that goes above and beyond. And even though I enjoyed it, I wouldn't pay to see it twice in theaters. Also, could have shaved off half an hour of its runtime. Dragged a bit in parts. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Oh, I was definitely that person when I went and saw Cats over its opening weekend. I felt a little bad about it at first - and strategically sat a few rows away from other patrons in either direction - but it was Cats, so it was hard not to laugh.

One of my friends and I also whisper-riffed on Breaking Dawn - Part 1 on its opening night with a sellout crowd of Twihards. I'm still not sure how we made it out of there alive. It was her idea, though, so I didn't feel too guilty about it.

I'm pretty sure most of the people who did see Cats did so just marvel at all the hilariously embarrassing choices on the big screen.

I saw Glass Onion tonight (leave it to our Lord and Savior Rian Johnson to finally deliver a Netflix movie that looks and feels like an actual movie) and the trailer for M3GAN fucking killed with my sold out audience in a big auditorium. I don't know if the movie's gonna be any good (given it's a first-weekend-of-January horror movie, the chances of that likely aren't too great), but there's no way in hell it won't be an absolute blast to see with an audience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Studios have mafe audience habitual of early digital access. Gonna take time for breaking the habbit.

People who wanna wait 45 days can just wait 90 days. There's plenty to steam for free in the meantime.

Edited by Legion By Night
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

People who wanna wait 5 days can just wait 90 days. There's plenty to steam for free in the meantime.

Sure but the point is there are many others who can wait 17 days or even 45 days but 90-120 days is a strech.

Besides its not just wait but the notion/perception that what's point of going to cinema and paying when you are gonna have something at your home in 2 weeks. 

You gotta give exclusivity to theatrical. Maximise the revenue like TGM has done or NWH did or you were doing 10 years ago. Movie gonna be on streaming forever to milk. Milk is as much you want. For now get theatrical first, then get your PVOD, Home media and then put it on free in SVOD.

• Like 10

Just landed in India, and if we think the streaming landscape in the US is crazy, India seems to have streaming channels for every language in the country and then sub-cultures beyond that as well. 

There's definitely a streaming consolidation coming to India soon because no way can 90% of the services survive.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Just landed in India, and if we think the streaming landscape in the US is crazy, India seems to have streaming channels for every language in the country and then sub-cultures beyond that as well. 

There's definitely a streaming consolidation coming to India soon because no way can 90% of the services survive.

All of them are bleeding.

Revenue is too low. Piracy is rampant.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Can someone explain to me the queer thing in the title? What happened?

Strange World is bombing with awful reception and it has a queer main character. Some debate has been had over how much of the poor reception and BO are related to anti queer attitudes in the US vs other factors 

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Sure but the point is there are many others who can wait 17 days or even 45 days but 90-120 days is a strech.

Besides its not just wait but the notion/perception that what's point of going to cinema and paying when you are gonna have something at your home in 2 weeks. 

You gotta give exclusivity to theatrical. Maximise the revenue like TGM has done or NWH did or you were doing 10 years ago. Movie gonna be on streaming forever to milk. Milk is as much you want. For now get theatrical first, then get your PVOD, Home media and then put it on free in SVOD.

I wont ever watch an MCU movie in cinemas now that I know I dont have to wait too long to get it on D+

23 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Strange World is bombing with awful reception and it has a queer main character. Some debate has been had over how much of the poor reception and BO are related to anti queer attitudes in the US vs other factors 

There is a correlation. My nephews school sent letters asking for parents permission to talk about homosexuality and the majority seemed unhappy with it therefore it wasn't taught. Parents can be very stubborn

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure most of the people who did see Cats did so just marvel at all the hilariously embarrassing choices on the big screen.

I saw Glass Onion tonight (leave it to our Lord and Savior Rian Johnson to finally deliver a Netflix movie that looks and feels like an actual movie) and the trailer for M3GAN fucking killed with my sold out audience in a big auditorium. I don't know if the movie's gonna be any good (given it's a first-weekend-of-January horror movie, the chances of that likely aren't too great), but there's no way in hell it won't be an absolute blast to see with an audience.

There are lots of Netflix movies that look and feel like "real movies"

14 hours ago, dudalb said:

The "Go Woke Goi Broke" crowd is pretty silent about the huge sucess of "Wakanda Forever" i note.

Apples and oranges, tho. BPWF was never expected to flop. It's a sequel to a movie that made 700M dom. Even with inevitable big drop from those heights (you can't go anywhere but down from that number) it wasn't going to collapse like Alice in Wonderland 2. It isn't comparable to Strange World in any way cause SW didn't have built-in audience to show up even if the movie looked pretty bland or just not as good as the previous one. Love and Thunder previews and then reviews left a lot to be desired yet built-in audience showed up. Strange World had no such advantage.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

Yeah BP is solid reception medium/medium bad BO. Quite a sequel plummet, but tbf, it is almost more of a spin-off given the lead change circumstances.

If the others this year had done mcu normal (really “infinity saga normal” at this point) we’d be talking  about how disappointing BP is, but since they both had pretty 😬 runs this feels like a relatively nice way to end the year. It’s at least the best performance of the 3 so it’s off the hook for anything more.

Though the actual bright spot to end the year was gotg xmas as it turns out. 

Edited by Legion By Night

7 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

Has it tho. If this was a shitty year the mother studios are having a god awful year

I mean...yeah. Apart from Strange and Panther (please don't start a debate on how they actually underperformed, I don't want to read that), Love and Thunder was considered a critical and commercial dud, Lightyear and Strange World are the biggest bombs ever for their respective studios, the only 20th Century films that did above expectations were Barbarian and Bob's Burgers, which had basically the absolute floor for expectations. I guess Searchlight ended up okay since The Menu's doing solid business and The Banshees of Inisherin will probably reach 10M. The latter's not good compared to what awards fare did pre-COVID, but sadly we're in a world where audiences hate movies that aren't just toy commercials, so take what you can get.

Even so, there's no obvious huge winner, even if I think Strange and Panther did solid (again, not trying to start an argument, don't even try). All the other studios had something big to crow about except Disney...well, at least until Avatar drops next week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

TBF I don't really consider BPWF a win either. It's just not bad.

Its a strange example when 1, its going to mark MCU's biggest ever sequel drop and 2, it's not what I'd even call woke. Unless we are just going to call any movie with a black cast as woke these days.

20 years ago, no-one would have called the likes of Bad Boys woke

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Yeah BP is solid reception medium/medium bad BO. Quite a sequel plummet, but tbf, it is almost more of a spin-off given the lead change circumstances.

If the others this year had done mcu normal we ‘d be talking  about how disappointing BP is, but since they both had pretty 😬 runs this feels like a relatively nice way to end the year. It’s at least the best performance of the 3 so it’s off the hook for anything more.

Though the actual bright spot to end the year was gotg xmas as it turns out. 

Unless it completely falls off the cliff, there's no way we can say BP2 is bad in any way. It is a drop. It had a LOT to contend with (controversies, setbacks, streaming prospects), but it only LOOKS bad in comparison to the predecessor. The bigger the predecessor, the bigger the drop of the sequel. It has a chance to see a smaller (though slightly) drop than TLJ from TFA. BP2 has done very well and we should be happy about it.

It's great to celebrate the success of TGM this year and I understand the sentiment that it's nice to see a non-Disney film dominate. However, while that was refreshing to many, it's unfortunately NOT a pattern or trend that can follow. What other non-Disney films, sequels or not, can recapture the lightning in the bottle?

Quite possibly the biggest problem with Hollywood is that there seems to be no room for massive hits that are either original or based on source material that has never been tapped. Long gone are the days of Star Wars, Indy, ET, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Titanic, Avatar1, Ghostbustes, Back to the Future, Independence Day, Matrix, etc. No studio will touch a new property, original or source-based, for the theaters. Anything new that is big has been relegated to streaming as a series (Stranger Things, Game of Thrones, House of Dragon). And even with that, there are no real ways to track the amount of revenue they generate. Thus, we are left with reboots and sequels for the theaters and both are highly scrutinized by both critics and movie goers. Now, with animated movies suffering a bit (except for Minions apparently), we are left with the former and some horror and niche films which are all lucky to hit $100 million. So budgets have to drop. With it, some quality drops.

We are truly at a crossroads in terms of screen-based entertainment. People can talk about how "bad" 2022 has been but just wait until 2023. GOTG3 will be big,but how big? Ant Man QM will do okay but won't light the world on fire. The Marvels will suffer. Little Mermaid will be the next victim of the "anti-wokers" or whatever they are. Then there's the post-summer 2023 box office. Yikes, that is going to be ROUGH!!!

Edited by jedijake