Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

Should get that easily IMO. Question is more how much above $40 it goes. Can make a case for +20%/25% given the advance sales, though I would prob take the under 

Under 40 😱😱😱😱😨

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Wow. Thought it might be civil war instead

Civil War is top 5 for me. Probably the movie that turned me from GA viewer into MCU fan. 

As far as Ant-Man discussion, I honestly could see it being a top contender depending on my mood. While AMATW isn't ranked as high as some of the bigger-scale movies for me, I think it executes extremely well at what it's trying to do. But like Legion am a bit hesitant on Quantumania, it's a big departure from the previous films. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Should get that easily IMO. Question is more how much above $40 it goes. Can make a case for +20%/25% given the advance sales, though I would prob take the under 

Uhh...this is 20% over its true friday, right? Cause 48-50 sat feels like too much to me with those walkups.

Just now, DAR said:

M3GAN would like a word.

M3GAN is the only movie I see doing well next month lmao. Otherwise, yeesh. At least business should pick up big time starting in February: Ant-Man will be huge obviously, but Knock at the Cabin, 80 for Brady, Magic Mike, and (lol) Cocaine Bear are all movies with potential to make decent money.

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Cap's is the best trilogy because it's the worst 'trilogy' in the sense that you can't just watch those three and know what's going on.  

It's so funny to think about that person that ONLY watched those movies and nothing else and just being utterly confused at Civil War.

The real cap trilogy is TWS AoU cw 

and it’s better than tfa-tws-cw

Spoiler

No ban pls have mercy

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Civil War is top 5 for me. Probably the movie that turned me from GA viewer into MCU fan. 

As far as Ant-Man discussion, I honestly could see it being a top contender depending on my mood. While AMATW isn't ranked as high as some of the bigger-scale movies for me, I think it executes extremely well at what it's trying to do. But like Legion am a bit hesitant on Quantumania, it's a big departure from the previous films. 

So what did you dislike about tws then? Seems solid fun no?

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

M3GAN is the only movie I see doing well next month lmao. Otherwise, yeesh. At least business should pick up big time starting in February: Ant-Man will be huge obviously, but Knock at the Cabin, 80 for Brady, Magic Mike, and (lol) Cocaine Bear are all movies with potential to make decent money.

Yeah it would be nice to get some mid level hits out there again 

17 minutes ago, Chaz said:

This movie decreasing from the first is the most unsurprising box office result in a long time. $500 million+ is a super result for it, tbh. I didn’t think it would even make that much.

Remarkable how many people overthought the fundaments here. 

A GIGANTIC CHUNK of Avatar 1's gross was 3D surcharges. Take away the 3D gimmick and not only does it lose like $150m off the bat from the surcharges, but probably another $200m from people just never go see it period. The 3D gimmick is completely erased & its showing here. Plus all the other well established pop culture relevance points. 

Takeaway the 3D angle and its obvious Avatar was not even close to as influential as some of the major blockbusters of that time such as THE DARK KNIGHT, INCEPTION, or even TRANSFORMERS. 

INCEPTION 2 from NOLAN/LEO...now THERE is a megablockbuster sequel that should get made.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mean, Jim could surprise us again in terms of staying power. There's not much else out this holiday season, and then we're going to begin 2023 with a rather grim looking January.

Legs will be good no doubt. 

Edited by excel1

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

So what did you dislike about tws then? Seems solid fun no?

I don't dislike much really, it just doesn't strike as much of a chord with me. It's 15th in my ranking and the top 16 are all very highly rated. I think it has an excellent start and keeps up good momentum and intrigue, but after Zola reveals all just doesn't feel as intriguing. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

oh my god people are ranking marvel movies again!!!!! i'm going to fucking cum!!!!!!!!!!! yesssssss

In my defense, I haven’t ranked them since Far From Home back in 2019. Might even start a thread this weekend ranking all the MCU Phase 4 films if it hasn’t been done yet and if the council agrees.

tumblr_pizky0XaE41ry9bxx_250.gif

1 hour ago, Nero said:

How exactly? The situation would have remained same both in China and Japan. It's not like Disney's marketing was very bad or something 

The user is extremely anti Disney. His comments makes sense in that context

30 minutes ago, Shanks said:

If Avatar does good, its all credit to JC, JC can even make things happens - like unlock China, like make Foreign Xchange better but sadly, if it's still doing bad - Let's all blame's it on Disney.

I know you're joking but this will 100% happen. Some people will definitely do this. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Remarkable how many people overthought the fundaments here. 

A GIGANTIC CHUNK of Avatar 1's gross was 3D surcharges. Take away the 3D gimmick and not only does it lose like $150m off the bat from the surcharges, but probably another $200m from people just never go see it period. The 3D gimmick is completely erased & its showing here. Plus all the other well established pop culture relevance points. 

Takeaway the 3D angle and its obvious Avatar was not even close to as influential as some of the major blockbusters of that time such as THE DARK KNIGHT, INCEPTION, or even TRANSFORMERS. 

Legs will be good no doubt. 

We literally spent one decade making these points around here lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

I don't dislike much really, it just doesn't strike as much of a chord with me. It's 15th in my ranking and the top 16 are all very highly rated. I think it has an excellent start and keeps up good momentum and intrigue, but after Zola reveals all just doesn't feel as intriguing. 

Hmmm. Cap has the best fight scenes though

Just now, Nero said:

Hmmm. Cap has the best fight scenes though

Prefer IW and SC in that department, but yeah, that's definitely one of the film's strengths. Just as an overall package, it doesn't come together emotionally for me as much as the ones I have ranked higher. 

Edited by Menor Reborn