Eric Lasagna

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah main complaint is story and character. Yeah CGI is good but CGI is only there to support story and character, if those two aren't good, it doesn't matter how good it look.

What about 3rd act? Was it better than first avatar?

1 minute ago, Nero said:

Godzilla vs Jurassic?

Is this an interrogation? :hahaha:

Jurassic Park is my favourite franchise of all time, Godzilla ranks second. There are just too many goofy and poorly aged Godzilla movies, some of which even i dont like, that i cant say its above any criticism. But G14, KOTM and Godzilla vs Kong are all pure treasures ill support to the death.

• Like 2

Just now, Brainbug said:

Jurassic Park is my favourite franchise of all time, Godzilla ranks second. There are just too many goofy and poorly aged Godzilla movies, some of which even i dont like, that i cant say its above any criticism. But G14, KOTM and Godzilla vs Kong are all pure treasures ill support to the death.

Seeing Brainbug’s love for the Jurassic films always warms my heart lmao. How did you like Dominion btw?

Just now, Brainbug said:

Lol no. Just curious what do you like better :p. If it was only dinosaurs or monsters in general 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

This is especially funny because the mon holidays really do inflate the OWeek but it still goes nuts 

You know, both TGM and BP had a holiday weekend springboard to their incredibly leggy runs … wondering if that dynamic helps to facilitate the WOM push, where more people have free time on Sun/Mon to immediately capitalize on it, rather than having to wait until the following weekend when it can get pushed out of mind 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alligator Zatt said:

Seeing Brainbug’s love for the Jurassic films always warms my heart lmao. How did you like Dominion btw?

After my hype calmed down and after seeing it a bunch of times at home, i can say that i still love it lol

Dominion is the weakest JW movie in terms of story, pacing, editing and the action scenes, but i do really love the character dynamics, the variety of dinosaurs, the music and the overall adventure-style vibe of the film. Could it have been a lot better? Yes. Did i want an even more Open World-themed JW movie and do i think it wasted its potential a bit? Yes. But its still so good. Id rank it slightly below Fallen Kingdom, but far above Jurassic Park 3.

So, yeah 9/10. Near Masterpiece.

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

After my hype calmed down and after seeing it a bunch of times at home, i can say that i still love it lol

Dominion is the weakest JW movie in terms of story, pacing, editing and the action scenes, but i do really love the character dynamics, the variety of dinosaurs, the music and the overall adventure-style vibe of the film. Could it have been a lot better? Yes. Did i want an even more Open World-themed JW movie and do i think it wasted its potential a bit? Yes. But its still so good. Id rank it slightly below Fallen Kingdom, but far above Jurassic Park 3.

So, yeah 9/10. Near Masterpiece.

The best I could say is that I liked better than Fallen Kingdom, my least favorite of all of them. That’s something I guess lol. That short film teasing Dominion did it more for me than anything since Jurassic Park tho. That was awesome. I wanted two hours of that.

Just now, wildphantom said:

@Brainbug what was the final number of times you saw Dominion in theatres? 

14 :ph34r:

Just now, Alligator Zatt said:

The best I could say is that I liked better than Fallen Kingdom, my least favorite of all of them. That’s something I guess lol. That short film teasing Dominion did it more for me than anything since Jurassic Park tho. That was awesome. I wanted two hours of that.

I can understand anyone who dislikes Dominion, it does have a weak storyline and yep, that short film could have been the basis of a truly amazing movie.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, krla said:

Avatar 2 should have, in theory, absolutely no issue surpassing TGM's multiplier

There is no evidence to support this claim when looking at TGM’s run, starting with a -29% second weekend that Avatar isn’t likely to match with calendar configuration. You could make that claim by comparing to NWH or Rogue One, but TGM didn’t behave like a normal big opening, so topping it’s multiplier requires a similar outlier outcome 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eastwood47 said:

Lets not forget A2's next obstacle... Huge winter storms tracking to hit the midwest and east cost Christmas weekend. 

Avatar 1, of course, dealt with not one, but two major winter storms (as well as 15 tornadoes). The first storm in its OW, the second from the first weekdays until the end of its second weekend. Cut a couple billion in holiday spending.

16 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

Hmm, not sure, I really don’t think so. My rule of thumb is that COVID / war (and the ER that goes with it) resulted on around +-$500m from the bigger players (NWH, TGM and now A2). It’s an exercise in ‘what if’ but I insist that A2 is and should have always been what me and others have said for a decade, reestablishing the franchise to the general audience. Cameron took way too damn long for it, so what happens next is to see if the GA rekindles with the message and the world of the franchise… or not:

I saw this yesterday and I was avoiding to touch the can of worms that is some of the backlash that the film and Cameron are facing on social media, and I wouldn’t dare to bring this up on the film’s OT, but I do think that some of the criticism here has some major merit. Cameron needs to open his world to more diverse voices, not only among the cast and screenwriting, but also ar helm of the production for the own good of the world he created, in my opinion. The issues about how the first film and now the second one delve deep into colonialism allegory is something that could have bothered some back in 2009 (and it did rub me the wrong way back then) and it does sting harder now after we got at very least three popular sci-fi films that explored colonialism from a diverse perspective (Black Panther, Prey, Wakanda Forever).

The world is different than what it was back in 2009. Just being the ‘king of the world’ isn’t good enough anymore. And that’s a good thing.

War may have been a boon for TGM. 

Is the article in the second tweet really saying that Cameron fighting to save the Amazon is bad, since it means that Brazil can't exploit it, and Brazil deserves to exploit it because white people have exploited the environment, too? Interesting take. I guess it looks a bit white saviour-ish to advocate for non-white causes. If Brazil wants to clear cut the Amazon, like America was, then I guess that should be their right to self-determination. 

1 minute ago, M37 said:

There is no evidence to support this claim when looking at TGM’s run, starting with a -29% second weekend that Avatar isn’t likely to match with calendar configuration. You could make that claim by comparing to NWH or Rogue One, but TGM didn’t behave like a normal big opening, so topping it’s multiplier requires a similar outlier outcome 

History suggests a 10-20x multi for avatar. It is known :jeb!:

6 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

We doing Avatar rankings now huh?

A1 7/10

A2 8/10

I actually think this has a better story than the first one.

More or less the same (I have them slightly higher at 7.5 and 8.5) but I think A2 is far more uneven as a film. When it works it REALLY works (and the final hour really works), but it has weird pacing beats at times (the middle of the film is the main culprit) and undercooks some character arcs. I generally value the highs more so I prefer the second one, but the first one is a more coherent, consistent film overall.

This film probably would've benefit a lot from trying to do less and investing the extra time in further developing the main character arcs, or just even doing less in general honestly. I understand (and actually appreciated) the parts where the film's plot was basically stopped to flex its water tech, but the middle has some scenes that just go nowhere and just feel redundant (I assume some of it could be for A3, as it was supposed to be one script originally - but at that point you should just leave it for A3!).

01. Jurassic Park - One of the greates movies of all time.

02. Jurassic World - One of the greatest movies of all time.

03. The Lost World - One of the greatest movies of all time.

04. Fallen Kingdom - One of the greates movies of all time.

05. Dominion - Great movie.

06. Jurassic Park 3 - Bad.

• Thanks 1

"colonial glorifying movie" lol 

Cameron entire filmography have strong messages against colonialism and militarism (even if both usually are present on the movies as villains or disposable dumb characters) 

Which yes includes Avatar. There is a white savior trope (on the first at least) that sure can be discussed, but you really need to stop taking twitter so seriously. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, krla said:

War may have been a boon for TGM. 

Is the article in the second tweet really saying that Cameron fighting to save the Amazon is bad, since it means that Brazil can't exploit it, and Brazil deserves to exploit it because white people have exploited the environment, too? Interesting take. I guess it looks a bit white saviour-ish to advocate for non-white causes. If Brazil wants to clear cut the Amazon, like America was, then I guess that should be their right to self-determination. 

Bolded: of course not. Saving the rain Amazon forest isn’t just a Brazil’s responsibility, but the world’s. I agree that getting an awful interview from more than 10 years ago isn’t cool, but it’s not like A2 does anything to address the criticisms of the first film, let alone the second one. It does has merit, and shrugging away does more harm than good, in my opinion.

• Like 1