Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

4 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

I find it so odd how many people in my social circle love Multiverse of Madness to death. I mean I didn’t hate it, rank it above Doctor Strange but it’s no MCU top 10. When I came out of the theater I asked a buddy of mine that goes with me to the films but isn’t a major MCU fanboy by any means whatsoever and he loved it. He thought it was as good as No Way Home and didn’t liked Wakanda Forever as much. Raimi’s power.

I also liked MoM but I wish it was bit longer and more fleshed out 

2 hours ago, Cap said:

ALL I HAVE TO DO IS LOCK THE THREAD, and we hit Bingo. 

@Porthos Hey, silly face, come fight me because, [I actually wrote up something that was pretty inflammatory, but then I realized that half of the user base with not realize that I was joking with the BFF, and use it as an excuse to actually fight with each other. So, I’m just gonna let folks imagine something terrible here, probably about Star Wars.

Also this is a one off joke, XxR and Legion. Love you guys; but I got it solo]

I feel seen in one of spots

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Just saying the 24th and the 31th falling on a saturday doesn't mean much. On the other hand having more or less 2 weeks of holidays will give it plenty of room to develop some legs.

I mean, it does though? It’s not a simple as it will gross whatever it will gross no matter how the holidays fall, because the highest potential grossing days are always Fri & Sat. Whether the holidays feed into those days or diminish them does impact overall totals during the holidays; only so much can be made up during the weekdays 

The only times in the past 20 years that  Xmas has not been the highest grossing day of the holidays (beaten by Boxing Day 26th) were 2004/2009/2015 (Fri Xmas, the best set-up) and 2005/2011/2016 (Sun Xmas, least conducive set-up), and I expect the same this year 

11 minutes ago, Elessar said:

No, we shouldn't expect it to mimic TGM legs wise but we also shouldn't rule it out. If anyone should be given the benefit of the doubt, it's Cameron.

Agree! I’m just trying to keep expectations in check a bit on legs, trying to set the bar of what would be “good” without ruling out the “exceptional”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nero said:

Bezos is also doing the same thing with blue origin

Meaning @Elessar:

Having money doesn’t make you a genius. He isn’t self made, neither a genius. Absolutely nothing he owns he created, designed or invented. He is just a billionaire that really wants to look like Tony Stark but is more like Justin Hammer than most realized back then and it becomes more obvious every single day. He didn’t invent Tesla, Space X or Twitter. He bought all of that, all of that were previously owned - and invented - by other people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

To me, "in theory" implies a higher probability outcome, and again, TGM was a significant outlier for legs of $100M openers.  Can Avatwo beat it? Sure, I suppose its possible, but I wouldn't classify that as "shouldn't have a problem" - even "in theory" - because it would also be an extraordinarily low probably/outlier result

Alright. To put it another way, Avatar 2's release window puts it in the best position to beat TGM's legs. If Mav were put in this window, its legs would surpass its own. This window has no competition, won't be losing PLFs in 2 weeks, has a higher ticket price. The things specifically applicable to Avatar, like demand for seeing it on premium screens and the long runtime, help to artificially lower its opening weekend and shift demand forward. The biggest thing against it, the next two Saturdays falling on low demand days, shouldn't impact the overall gross, because demand will just shift to another day.

So what I'm not trying to say is "Avatar will easily beat TGM's multiplier." What I am trying to say is that the path to get there is unobstructed, and in some ways easier (especially with higher ticket prices, since the same number of tickets sold would put A2 ahead of TGM). The only factor is going to be the audience showing up. 

Bit off-topic, but what's with people flocking to theaters on Christmas day? I'd have thought that would be the quietest day of the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nero said:

I also liked MoM but I wish it was bit longer and more fleshed out 

It’s more Raimi’s Evil Dead than Raimi’s Spider-Man, it has a B-horror quality to it. I swear I was surprised how much they got away with it for a PG-13 film. Also I think at least should be the most confusing MCU movie topping Captain America: Civil War but for some odd reason everyone I know love the film, even those that didn’t watch WandaVision (the case of this friend I was talking about and others in my social circle as well). I like it better than Derrickson’s Doctor Strange, but it’s at same time a flawed film, which comes with the territory of a B-horror movie I guess.

Just now, Alligator Zatt said:

It’s more Raimi’s Evil Dead than Raimi’s Spider-Man, it has a B-horror quality to it. I swear I was surprised how much they got away with it for a PG-13 film. Also I think at least should be the most confusing MCU movie topping Captain America: Civil War but for some odd reason everyone I know love the film, even those that didn’t watch WandaVision (the case of this friend I was talking about and others in my social circle as well). I like it better than Derrickson’s Doctor Strange, but it’s at same time a flawed film, which comes with the territory of a B-horror movie I guess.

Raimi isn't the issue if anything else it's his signature style which made me like it. Writing could have been way better though and Chavez should have been more fleshed out. I was expecting more fun travel between different universes so I wish it was longer 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

I find it so odd how many people in my social circle love Multiverse of Madness to death. I mean I didn’t hate it, rank it above Doctor Strange but it’s no MCU top 10. When I came out of the theater I asked a buddy of mine that goes with me to the films but isn’t a major MCU fanboy by any means whatsoever and he loved it. He thought it was as good as No Way Home and didn’t liked Wakanda Forever as much. Raimi’s power.

I think the problem is that it wasn’t the movie many expected going in, and that colored impressions

Having seen it now 3 times (the last on Thur), I have liked it more on each watch. Meanwhile, I haven’t bothered to see NWH again, but have caught parts of SM1 and SM2 on TV … guess Raimi’s style is just more my taste 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

I stand by my opinion that Wanda is an amazing villain in MoM. Sure, her dialogue and reasoning were ... average, but the tenacity and brutality that she brought to the movie were just great to witness. How many MCU movies do you see where someones mouth gets removed, only for the head to implode?

MORE of that. Pls.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The roblem with DS2 is they don't handle Wanda's arc/characterization well at all which is an issue when it's kind of the driving plot force of the whole movie. It's like 5 min of edits away from being an 8/10 since all the rest of the stuff (besides the plot core and emotional beats for the main antagonist) works pretty well.

Actually the way 808 treated variants was pretty dumb too but you could fix that in the same 5 mins of cutting. And america was pretty thin. All script issues. Making it the bottom MCU movie and bottom 2 projects alongside the other one written by Waldron.

Edited by Korra Legion
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

I think the problem is that it wasn’t the movie many expected going in, and that colored impressions

Having seen it now 3 times (the last on Thur), I have liked it more on each watch. Meanwhile, I haven’t bothered to see NWH again, but have caught parts of SM1 and SM2 on TV … guess Raimi’s style is just more my taste 🤷‍♂️

That was part of the issue, but far from the biggest problem. If the story had been stronger and the movie was generally viewed as a solid sequel followup that didn't meet the "multiverse" expectations, I'm quite sure the audience scores would've been significantly higher. What people mostly want out of the MCU is a fun time. Personally I went to the movie not expecting any big story events, just wanting a cool Dr Strange movie...and didn't really feel like I got that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I stand by my opinion that Wanda is an amazing villain in MoM. Sure, her dialogue and reasoning were ... average, but the tenacity and brutality that she brought to the movie were just great to witness. How many MCU movies do you see where someones mouth gets removed, only for the head to implode?

MORE of that. Pls.

Wanda should not have been a villain.

• Like 1