Eric is Quiet

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

3 hours ago, M37 said:

Interstellar was for me one of Nolan’s weaker films, but I will not tolerate this Prestige slander 

Just woke back up.  

A movie which spends two acts building a realistic world and promising a pair of clever tricks to explain two seemingly impossible acts only to reveal them as one clever trick+... literal teleportation outta nowhere... can go fuck itself if you'll pardon my French 

And then it doesn't even handle the related philosophical questions with much sophistication 

• Knock It Off 1

25 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

So can someone explain to my why people on here are declaring a2 DOA

Because it's going to miss 100M Dom total

Spoiler

Sorry to reveal the exciting news about SMOD2024 to you all this way

5 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Good news from India. A2 is opening on par with Endgame! Could become the biggest HLW film all-time or at the very least, 2nd highest ever! 🇮🇳

It will become 5th highest Hollywood movie of all time in India just by Monday or Tuesday....guaranteed to finish in top2. Decent chance it crosses EndGame in full run and become all time highest grosser among Hollywood movies

7 minutes ago, Cap said:

• LMFAO. How have I see just this scene.
  • Gosh, I miss Bill Paxton. 
  • My god. I totally see why Cameron felt the need to apologize for his toxic masculinity of the past. He needs to. Yup.

FROM Entertainment Weekly in 1994 a select portion of an article entitled "Racism and sexism in ''True Lies''?"

Cameron, who was praised for his gun-toting heroines in Aliens and the Terminator films, has also been slammed for Lies‘ attitude toward women, especially in the film’s talked-about strip-tease scene. ”I felt embarrassed for both Jamie Lee Curtis and for her character when I watched her scenes,” says Los Angeles Times film critic Kenneth Turan, whose review helped spark a debate over whether the film was misogynistic. ”In the context of an action film, a strong character is in control. She’s being controlled. The audience is laughing at her because she’s being humiliated.” Unlike the Arab-Americans, however, women’s groups have yet to condemn the film. ”We don’t think the intent is to make women look bad,” explains Tammy Bruce, president of the National Organization for Women’s L.A. chapter. ”Compared to the Arabs, women come off relatively well in this one.”

Cameron also dismisses charges of sexism. ”I don’t think every scene in a movie has to present itself as an example of political correctness,” he says, defending the controversial interrogation scene in which a hidden Schwarzenegger bullies wife Curtis into confessing her love for him. ”I’ve had a lot of guys say, ‘I need one of those rooms at my house.’ ”

Given Lies‘ blockbuster potential, occasional denigration may be a small price to pay for Curtis. The actress refused to comment, but her CAA agent, Rick Kurtzman, insists, ”True Lies has been a great vehicle for her.”

And that bottom-line thinking is exactly what worries Lies‘ critics. ”This movie will have far more effect on how people think because it’s being seen by so many people,” says Turan. ”It may be mindless, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t affecting minds.”

There's a whole lot of YIKES in that article EVEN IN THE CONTEXT OF 1994 (and I ought to know, having been around then).

===

I mention this, not to spark a 10 page derailment (indeed I am hesitating hitting Submit Reply for that very reason) nor to throw Cameron under the bus or anything like that, but to show, mostly, that even in 1994 there was blowback against this section of the movie, even if it didn't sink the movie at the time.  

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Cap said:

• LMFAO. How have I see just this scene.
  • Gosh, I miss Bill Paxton. 
  • My god. I totally see why Cameron felt the need to apologize for his toxic masculinity of the past. He needs to. Yup.
  • And why he refuses to let his out of its 720p / no Digital Rental hell. I wouldn’t let people watch it either. 
  • Dude; she said no
  • This is so unpleasant. Definitely should have stopped at the horse chase.
  • What the fuck is this shit?
  • This better end in DIVORCE.
  • I feel so justified in Bestie and my decision to base Steve’s dead beat Dad on Cameron in our “Non-Superpower Modern Hollywood AU” No wonder Sarah Rogers is like “Fuck Off”
  • How is there an hour and a half leeeeffttttt
  • Same, Helen. That rage you feel is how I feel.
  • I doubt she will always love him after she finds out the TRUTH.
  • There are unlikable protagonists, and then there is Arnold in this. 
  • I mean; as a lesbian I appreciate her “transformation” / ripping of the dress scene. The water from the flowers was a nice touch. As a woman, though. Nope.  We good. We REALLY good
  • @Ozymandias @TalismanRing Oh shit. I am just getting to that scene. Funny enough, Judy just climbed on me and tried to eat my glasses. And then got insistent that I pay attention to her. She wanted to go out to go potty. But I suspect that she just knew I didn’t need to watch this anymore, I was trying to rescue me. That’s cause I have the best dog ever. She’s so smart.
  • How is this even WORKING? How does she not recognize it’s him? I am just angry.
  • LMFAO NO DONT CUE THAT SOFT ROMANTIC LEITMOTIF BULLSHIT. We did not earn that.
  • She better kill him
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • GOOD. KICK HIM AGAIN. 
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ronin46 said:

That seems low. Not saying your wrong just that will barely get to 130. I was hoping 140 might still be on the cards but seems like no I guess.

140 seems very difficult based off of Friday. Would take a shocking good Saturday and I don't think there's a reason to expect that.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

FROM Entertainment Weekly in 1994 a select portion of an article entitled "Racism and sexism in ''True Lies''?"

There's a whole lot of YIKES in that article EVEN IN THE CONTEXT OF 1994 (and I ought to know, having been around then).

===

I mention this, not to spark a 10 page derailment (indeed I am hesitating hitting Submit Reply for that very reason) nor to throw Cameron under the bus or anything like that, but to show, mostly, that even in 1994 there was blowback against this section of the movie, even if it didn't sink the movie at the time.  

Yep, hated it 1994

Cameron also dismisses charges of sexism. ”I don’t think every scene in a movie has to present itself as an example of political correctness,” he says, defending the controversial interrogation scene in which a hidden Schwarzenegger bullies wife Curtis into confessing her love for him. ”I’ve had a lot of guys say, ‘I need one of those rooms at my house.’ ”

No wonder he's been married 5 times

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Who is? I know many people are joking around in here but even the lowest serious ones I have seen are maybe a handful of people thinking it can go below TGM WW. And the lowest serious one for DOM were saying around 450-500m. Neither of those numbers indicate anything like what you are saying. 

I should clarify: we haven't seen the full weekend yet and people are already saying my club is a lock

3 hours ago, CanadianNaturist said:

After one day of release NO movie has had data to suggest a magical run is in the cards…

Completely false!  

6 movies have. The worst result among them was Dom #9 and the 2nd worst was Dom #3

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

mention this, not to spark a 10 page derailment (indeed I am hesitating hitting Submit Reply for that very reason) nor to throw Cameron under the bus or anything like that, but to show, mostly, that even in 1994 there was blowback against this section of the movie, even if it didn't sink the movie at the time.  

I think we could have a 10 page derailment. The movie deserves it. And we’re trying to get to 150 pages now.

Plus, Cameron has admitted that he was a fucking asshole in the past. And he clearly is attempting to grow. And ultimately, that’s what we want from everyone. So I don’t necessarily think it’s dunking on Cameron to be like, yeah, he was a douche bag. He’d probably say so himself!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Reddroast said:

I should clarify: we haven't seen the full weekend yet and people are already saying my club is a lock

You mean the A1 > A2 ww club?  Well, okay now your comment makes sense but I hardly think that means A2 is DOA. :lol:

• Haha 1