Eric is Quiet

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

2 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Kind of off topic but how weird is it that True Lies is an adaptation of a tiny little French comedy? 

Yes, La Totale. Seemed to do well enough in France.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GipJo said:

I don't think so. EndGame was different beast there. And it has the ''must see as soon as possible'' element that Avatar 2 doesn't have. I think it could do much better even with the covid situation.

It wouldnt. Things are just that adverse rn for people going to the cinema both from Covid surging 10 times worse than it ever had with no real heavy handed government measure to curb it in sight ,with things being left up to people to self isolate . An enormous hesitancy and fear by people to go even to restaurants let alone spend 4 hours in a closed space with 50+ other people . That it wouldnt significantly change from somewhat more Chinese people being more hyped about endgame. Just reading through the China thread could give you an idea. 

Edited by Gkalaitza
  • Like 2

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I can't help but wonder what simply clicked for Indians.

Simple, first part was a big hit here.

And also it is a Family Drama with emotions, which is basically the genre for Indians.

Indians love movies with Spectacle + Family Drama + Emotions + Action 

And this one has it all.

1 minute ago, Eric The Last Airbender said:

And that's why people are not using that excuse with other countries. The term "COVID hesitancy" is being used on China and nowhere else. This is what we are telling you again and again. Stop trying to say people are saying something they are clearly not saying. Because at this point, it seems you are intentionally doing this to get a reaction out of people.

No, the post I replied to didn't mention China and it was a generalized statement, that's why I assumed it was related to all countries.

• Founder / Operator
13 minutes ago, Cap said:

IDK, I think @That One Guy has a point about instant gratification 💁‍♀️

26 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

years of Marvel movies largely performing well on opening weekend and then cratering afterwards has really damaged how people talk about big movies like this. like the expectation is instant gratification for *everything* regardless of a movie’s circumstances. thankfully Avatar is gonna have holiday legs and 10 weeks of practically no competition and then we can laugh about some of the absurd doomposting that i read for the last 10+ pages

Yep.

I haven't followed every page here, but this basically sums up things quite well for the moment.

Virtually everyone knew this movie would be hard to read. The first movie was too. It looked headed for $250-350M after its opening 13 years ago, but forged its own path like Top Gun: Maverick did just 7 months ago.

Let's wait and see. It's a difficult, but beautifully rewarding concept. :)

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

I think you confused my post. I actually agree it seriously underperfomed in China because of its terrible Covid situation. But it's not the reason why it underperformed in other markets.

Sure, likely not. There have been a lot of changes in the last 13 years and the interest/hype wasn't as high as many had hoped. Legs will still be good but very likely not particularly amazing (under 4.5x DOM). It's unfortunate but it is what it is right.

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I agree that China seriously underperformed because of their Covid situation. But this excuse doesn't work for other countries anymore.

Covid situation was mentioned mainly because of China, which is a bigger market. If Avatar 2 was going to sniff 2B china was very necessary market 

• Like 1

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

Simple, first part was a big hit here.

And also it is a Family Drama with emotions, which is basically the genre for Indians.

Indians love movies with Spectacle + Family Drama + Emotions + Action 

And this one has it all.

It's funny because 2 days ago I was reading some other Indian user comment that movie is boring and not enough action in it to be success in India. I'm surprised by great OD now.

2 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

I would still bet on it being the biggest of 2022 and we need to see how legs go, but I can definitely see scenarios where it doesn't pass TGM. Might even be a 50/50 bet that it doesn't pass TGM if you exclude China.

I agree it's still the most likely winner, but it doesn't feel like the forgone conclusion it was not that long ago. Going to be fun to watch, especially with everyone here.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's just hard for me to imagine this not having at least a 4x multiplier. Didn't Aquaman manage just under a 5x multiplier? It won't be as high as some hoped but it won't go nearly as low as some will say after this opening weekend.

I mean, the “doomers” are expecting like 3.8-4.5 multis or so, so…

Edited by Korra Legion

Just now, adaros said:

It's funny because 2 days ago I was reading some other Indian user comment that movie is boring and not enough action in it to be success in India. I'm surprised by great OD now.

Not enough action is the reason why Endgame still has the highest Opening Day for Hollywood in India.

But it's false that India loves only action, some of the biggest hits in Indian cinema are Family Dramas, Romantic Dramas with lots of emotions.

Heck, Titanic might have the highest footfalls for a Hollywood movie in India, and it for sure wasn't some action fest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gkalaitza said:

It wouldnt. Things are just that adverse rn for people going to the cinema both from Covid surging 10 times worse than it ever had with no real heavy handed government measure to curb it in sight ,with things being left up to people to self isolate . An enormous hesitancy and fear by people to go even to restaurants let alone spend 4 hours in a closed space with 50+ other people . That it wouldnt significantly change from somewhat more Chinese people being more hyped about endgame. Just reading through the China thread could give you an idea. 

EndGame for one could sale at least some 2d and normal 3d easily when Avatar 2 has done zero business with them. Even people who are afraid of covid could go to those screening with few people in them. I for one would go to see Endgame in 2d with a less crowded theater in current situation.

4 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Yep.

I haven't followed every page here, but this basically sums up things quite well for the moment.

Virtually everyone knew this movie would be hard to read. The first movie was too. It looked headed for $250-350M after its opening 13 years ago, but forged its own path like Top Gun: Maverick did just 7 months ago.

Let's wait and see. It's a difficult, but beautifully rewarding concept. :)

The poll at the top of the page on the ages of our fellow forum members may explain…a lot. 😆

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Not enough action is the reason why Endgame still has the highest Opening Day for Hollywood in India.

But it's false that India loves only action, some of the biggest hits in Indian cinema are Family Dramas, Romantic Dramas with lots of emotions.

Heck, Titanic might have the highest footfalls for a Hollywood movie in India, and it for sure wasn't some action fest.

I read some stuff about how different parts of the country look for different things in flicks. How true is that?