The Wild Eric

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I would try to avoid such claims. This definitely will not be as leggy as the first, but an opening like this plus the great reactions so far do not equate to "lack of interest." Plus, we are just technically on its second day. Relax.

I want the movie to do well. While it wasn't my cup of tea I think the message was important. The thing is, I've been burned by a lot of movies this year. I don't think we're every getting big legs again. Top Gun was lightning in a bottle. The pandemic has forever altered viewing habits and no movie has really changed my mind. I'm not stupid, this movie should moonwalk to 3.5 legs domestically. Problem is the movie opened so low. 

Just now, Vector Sigma said:

I want the movie to do well. While it wasn't my cup of tea I think the message was important. The thing is, I've been burned by a lot of movies this year. I don't think we're every getting big legs again. Top Gun was lightning in a bottle. The pandemic has forever altered viewing habits and no movie has really changed my mind. I'm not stupid, this movie should moonwalk to 3.5 legs domestically. Problem is the movie opened so low. 

1. Again, I'm not saying it will get big legs like the first.

2. I didn't say you were stupid. I understand what you are trying to say.

Just now, kayumanggi said:

1. Again, I'm not saying it will get big legs like the first.

2. I didn't say you were stupid. I understand what you are trying to say.

Lol sorry if that got lost in translation over the internet, I didn't mean you said I was stupid. I just tend to say that a lot. From what I'm seeing, big legs are in the 3's since the pandemic. It's not like it's impossible for Avatar to get 5x legs, it's just not likely. Granted, we've only had 1 December since the pandemic started, but I'm just not seeing the appetite. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

100% locked for nomination, 0% chance wining. 

Yes that's what I was thinking. Even tgm is not surety. Last time when blockbuster movie won BP was ROTK

Edited by Nero

Just now, Vector Sigma said:

Lol sorry if that got lost in translation over the internet, I didn't mean you said I was stupid. I just tend to say that a lot. From what I'm seeing, big legs are in the 3's since the pandemic. It's not like it's impossible for Avatar to get 5x legs, it's just not likely. Granted, we've only had 1 December since the pandemic started, but I'm just not seeing the appetite. 

For now it's a wait and see kind of situation for me. I just want movies to do well in general. The box office has been in a sad state. Movies expected to do really well aren't living up to expectations. That's why performances like NO WAY HOME and TOP GUN: MAVERICK are huge wins. I hope PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH surprises us, and 2023 be a better year.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Yes that's what I was thinking. Even tgm is not surety. Last time when blockbuster movie won BP was ROTK

But at least A2 is certainly wining Best VFX. In fact, I would call out every past 10 years' VFX winner to surrender their Oscar to Avatar 2.  

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

For now it's a wait and see kind of situation for me. I just want movies to do well in general. The box office has been in a sad state. Movies expected to do really well aren't living up to expectations. That's why performances like NO WAY HOME and TOP GUN: MAVERICK are huge wins. I hope PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH surprises us, and 2023 be a better year.

This year aside from few exceptions has been disappointment. Lot of movies did not live up to their potential due to various reasons. Streaming has changed the landscape so unless a particular movie connects with audiences universally it's hard to get butts in seats

3 minutes ago, cookieleeann said:

Wouldn't surprise me if James Cameron wins best director at the Oscars again. Not sure about picture.

I also wouldn’t be totally shocked just bc the movie is an undertaking far exceeding any other it will be up against this year.

The screenplay and whatever unfortunate thing happened to Cameron’s ability to write dialogue this time (not that he was ever amazing but he wasn’t bad before either) sinks any remote chance of BP. But I wouldn’t say it totally sinks a BD shot. 

• Like 1

Just now, titanic2187 said:

But at least A2 is certainly wining Best VFX. In fact, I would call out every past 10 years' VFX winner to surrender their Oscar to Avatar 2.  

Yes definitely. Avatar 2 can win 2-3 Oscars overall I guess. VFX is 100% , Best director and maybe production design 

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

This year aside from few exceptions has been disappointment. Lot of movies did not live up to their potential due to various reasons. Streaming has changed the landscape so unless a particular movie connects with audiences universally it's hard to get butts in seats

I think animation is the biggest victim. 2022 was a terrible year for animated movies.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

"not a sure thing"? There's no way TGM wins best picture.

Actually it could if you follow awards season, chances are small, but it looks like a dark horse everyone wants to dismiss, but it could do gangbasters in preferential voting because it's a movie everyone likes and nobody hates. Spielberg is not winning it most likely.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Rth actually emailed support saying he couldn't access his account, but I have no idea why. Everything looks fine from what I can see. Maybe it's where he's on vacation at... but just an FYI to anyone wondering.

Lol @ my timing :rofl:

• Haha 1

Just now, kayumanggi said:

I think animation is the biggest victim. 2022 was a terrible year for animated movies.

Indeed, but Mario will be the highest grossing animated movie WW of all time. I can just feel that one coming. 

If japan alone doesn’t go Frozen crazy over it, then they may as well just stop releasing American movies there. 

• Like 1