The Wild Eric

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I think animation is the biggest victim. 2022 was a terrible year for animated movies.

Animation, also drama too. Movies made for older people are also not working. Landscape has really changed 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

If the Academy cares about cinema rather than their own self-interests they will give TG:M Best Picture, but bet on them giving it to a movie that grosses about $10m.

The gross should have no bearing on what wins.

• Like 1

I kinda love that AVATAR is having a 130ish OW. It's a decent start for a December release. Evenly matched with TGM. No excuses. May the better film with the strongest legs win. It won't be a contest in the end, but still hoping it's somewhat close. 

As of the Oscars, I LOVE TGM, but BANSHEES is hands down the film of the year.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I think animation is the biggest victim. 2022 was a terrible year for animated movies.

It depends because anime movies are showing great sings of growth. Not just in Japan, but globally. Dragonall Super and Jujutsu Kaisen 0 performed much better than if they were made in like 2017. I think Disney just has to retool and maybe change the art style a bit. The biggest thing was they trained audiences to watch their films on Disney plus. That was the same mistake Warner Bros did and look what happened to them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Indeed, but Mario will be the highest grossing animated movie WW of all time. I can just feel that one coming. 

If japan alone doesn’t go Frozen crazy over it, then they may as well just stop releasing American movies there. 

I don't think Mario will have run/gross like frozen 

Edited by Nero

9 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

For now it's a wait and see kind of situation for me. I just want movies to do well in general. The box office has been in a sad state. Movies expected to do really well aren't living up to expectations. That's why performances like NO WAY HOME and TOP GUN: MAVERICK are huge wins. I hope PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH surprises us, and 2023 be a better year.

Even with the struggles of most movies this fall, 2022 is still going to see a healthy gain over 2021. The fact studios are now back in the habit of promoting their early year through summer movies around Christmas (and will also be putting out more movies overall) has me confident the yearly box office will be back to around pre-2020 levels this time next year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

The gross should have no bearing on what wins.

If the industry was healthy I'd agree. But in these times of crisis they desperately need to reconnect with the mainstream audience.

And I'm not suggesting giving it to a crap movie that made lots of money - TG:M is a beloved movie from all quarters. It deserves to win BP as much as any movie released this year.

13 minutes ago, Nero said:

This year aside from few exceptions has been disappointment. Lot of movies did not live up to their potential due to various reasons. Streaming has changed the landscape so unless a particular movie connects with audiences universally it's hard to get butts in seats

Or, ala Minions 2, your marketing department comes up with a campaign that is A++ for its movie...

Marketing departments might need to get a 2nd look and figure out how to pull in movie goers for their particular movies and not just have "generic package" approaches...

Smile also did really well thanks to an unorthodox campaign...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Indeed, but Mario will be the highest grossing animated movie WW of all time. I can just feel that one coming. 

If japan alone doesn’t go Frozen crazy over it, then they may as well just stop releasing American movies there. 

Don't American adaptations of Japanese properties never do well in Japan?

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And that will be a huge win for Illumination. Again.

The usual small drama contenders all feel too slight to win this year, even for the Academy. That’s why I think Avatar had a legitimate shot, but yeah like I said not with that screenplay.

So maybe TGM shockingly gets BP after all? I guess it has to be the Fablemans if not? That still feels very slight to me. But they did award a movie like Spotlight, which is one of the most granola movies I’ve ever seen, so you never know. That had the true story narrative working for it though, so again not a great comp.