Eric Prime

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

14 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Nah. Gentleminions would not have impacted the families with kids that are skipping every other animated film in cinemas.

The overseas success is down to the Minions themselves being very broadly appealing. Animation can be less impacted by cross-border cultural differences when it plays young in any case, but Minions is on a whole different level. It's almost exclusively physical on a Laurel & Hardy level, with nonsense gobbledegook dialogue and sound effects, that consistently hits with kids internationally. And that style of comedy also means that when your audience grows out of it, there is a new audience already there, without needing inbuilt knowledge of the series, but rather the yellow shits themsleves, helped by the broad appeal and large market presence of the toys (instantly recognisable shape, large eyes, goofy faces - broad child appeal). 

But it did, in a way.  I can tell you all my kids were WELL aware of the trend, and watched Youtube videos all about it and talked about it...kids are influenced a LOT by social media now, and that movie took off there...in a fun, cool way for them to appreciate vs them being "talked at" with boring reviews...

And, of course, Minions was the swim team/summer camp movie so it did benefit there...one to two animateds always will.  If Mario was summer next year, it would be that swim team/summer camp movie...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Though Puss in Boots isnt Shrek himself. I still actually think a fifth Shrek movie could do bonkers if its well-made. Thats like everyones childhood right there, people would come.

Would it, though? Shrek was successful because there was nothing else like it in western animation at the time. But by 2007, every studio wanted to make their own "subversive fairy tale" movie. Hell, even Disney has been poking fun of themselves in their movies starting with "Enchanted". It doesn't help that Shrek 3 and 4 aren't as beloved as the first two. 

6 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

You need to have Shrek in order to bank on Shrek nostalgia at first place.

You didn't, you had Puss.

The first movie made $555M worldwide when the franchise was still fresh in people's minds. 

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

If I took that bet then whatever it finishes with you'd say you were pleased, and I'd lose. 😃

It will please the people who actively want the film to land on a spot where no consensus is reached, allowing arguments to continue perpetually.

some-men-just-want-to-watch-the-world-bu

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

cringe weatherstorm generated by haters tears

It's all part of global conspiracy I tell you. Just to bring down box office of Avatar 2 anyhow 😔😕. It's not like people aren't loving the movie. The WoM is exceptional. But the haters are gonna hate 😓😭

58 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

9-12m 3 day for Puss In Boots 2 makes me dread the 3 days for Babylon and Whitney. Under 8m each? 

I think Chazelle's homage to Hollywood shtick is also getting old, and when you have a choice between two movies over three hours long, you're more likely to choose the giant sci-fi spectacle. Both of those will barely be a blip on the box office radar. 

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

It's all part of global conspiracy I tell you. Just to bring down box office of Avatar 2 anyhow 😔😕. It's not like people aren't loving the movie. The WoM is exceptional. But the haters are gonna hate 😓😭

The motion picture event of a generation (Source: tv spots) is about to get fucked over by a generational cold event (Source: CNN)

• Like 1

So, for the storm, today is worse than yesterday and Friday is worse than today...

So, IF it is $14M Wed, would we expect...

$11M Thurs

$11M Fri

Before some small-ish recovery Saturday (maybe, b/c it will still be really bad on the East Coast) and then Sunday?

Or is Wednesday as bad as a "weather effect" we'll get...

51 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

There was also the gigantic Tiktok trend of Gentleminions that I think really saved the movie. It'd probably otherwise top out at around $400M worldwide, but said trend got a lot of people to take interest in the movie and push it to being an almost-billion dollar hit.

Wha…what? You think a simple Tik Tok trend was responsible for half a BILLION dollars in revenue?! Girlie, ain’t no way. 

24 minutes ago, JWR said:

Would it, though? Shrek was successful because there was nothing else like it in western animation at the time. But by 2007, every studio wanted to make their own "subversive fairy tale" movie. Hell, even Disney has been poking fun of themselves in their movies starting with "Enchanted". It doesn't help that Shrek 3 and 4 aren't as beloved as the first two. 

Imo, when it comes to Shrek, its less about the movies themes/plot and more about the character itself. Everyone who is right now over 20 years old knows Shrek and most of them have seen atleast 1 of the movies. Shrek is a giant part of meme and pop culture. A fifth movie that comes close to the quality of Shrek 1 and 2 would be massive.