Eric is Quiet

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m… not sure. I mean I didn’t even knew that there was a new The Hunger Games coming, but I wouldn’t count the YA crowd out. Lots of strong entries in 2023 I’d argue. Also I legit think that Super Mario Bros. might surprise people.

I can't see Ant-Man doing more than 600 mln, especially without China, 500-600 most likely. The same with The Marvels. Guardians 3 is probably not doing more than Thor 4 numbers, its trailer didn't perform well on social media. The Hunger Games will likely flop too, YA is dead and it doesn't have what original THG had to bring that crowd back. With Mario, I think it depends on its budget.

Edited by Firepower

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Because Avatar 2 already started its run and it would a bit ... unfair for me to make this club when we already have the OW numbers? I dunno, i would make that club in a heartbeat, but im not sure if it would be well-received here. Usually clubs are made (and closed) before we get the first numbers, i think

Usually, yes.  But the more “allowable” exceptions are when a film goes way outside the bounds of expectations, and people are scrambling to recalibrate. Like making a TGM over $700M club after those first weekday numbers (or an A2 under $500M one now)

2 minutes ago, Jabba'sMoofmilker said:

you think Way of Water could pass Jurassic World?

Probably not for the North American total. So far it's tracking similar to Rogue One in the last 3 days. They had identical release dates, so it's a pretty fair comparison. If it continues tracking with Rogue One, it will finish around $510M in North America. Needs to grow some pretty incredible legs to reach Jurassic World's $652M total in North America.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I can't see Ant-Man doing more than 600 mln, especially without China, 500-600 most likey. The same with The Marvels. Guardians 3 is probably doing Thor 4 numbers, its trailer didn't perform well on social media. The Hunger Games will likely flop too, YA is dead and it doesn't have what original THG had to bring that crowd back. With Mario, I think it depends on its budget.

Ant-Man is my least favorite MCU series. If this was any sequel, I wouldn’t be excited. But I do think this has potential and I think it might make more than $700m without China, and apparently China is back with Marvel Studios films now that they have changed their COVID policies. How things will be there during February is a different question, but I do think that Kang will play a major impact on excitement for Ant-Man and The Wasp and it’s box office.

Also I think that after the last 15 years, betting against Marvel Studios is a mistake. Marvels has incredible potential and Guardians is easily one of the most beloved MCU series and James Gunn is a beloved director for a lot of people. We will see. 

Edited by ZattMurdock

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Ant-Man is my least favorite MCU series. If this was any sequel, I wouldn’t be excited. But I do think this has potential and I think it might make more than $700m without China, and apparently China is back with Marvel Studios films now that they have changed their COVID policies. How things will be there during February is a different question, but I do think that Kang will play a major impact on excitement for Ant-Man and The Wasp and it’s box office.

The thing is Ant-Man was always like that dumb little brother that performed worse than everyone else in its family. If Thor 4 and Black Panther are doing just 740-800 mln, I don't see how Ant-Man can change its usual pattern and perform at least in their range. And I don't see any excitement about Kang yet, he's not Thanos.

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

The thing is Ant-Man was always like that dumb little brother that performed worse than everyone else in its family. If Thor 4 and Black Panther are doing just 740-800 mln, I don't see how Ant-Man can change its usual pattern and perform at least in their range. And I don't see any excitement about Kang yet, he's not Thanos.

Like I’ve said, let’s see. I usually would join people trashing Ant-Man. Not this time around.

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Wait… I didn’t knew. I just did a Google search and, wow. RIP to a legend.

Read this article in Reader Mode

https://puck.news/the-dark-legacy-of-nikki-finke/

The Dark Legacy of Nikki Finke

Finke presented herself as a no-bullshit reporter who kept Hollywood moguls honest, and we all found her copy completely irresistible. But she perverted the profession by blackmailing sources, often targeting the weak, and weaponizing the internet to push her bile—and her own agenda.

There's a reason Deadline moved on from this story so quickly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Thanos was a non entity outside of comic fandom before Infinity War came out. He was teased of course but I mean I don't remember it being that big a deal to the GA. It was "oh yeah there's that big purple guy that we might see in an Avengers movie one day"

Just now, Verrows said:

Thanos was a non entity outside of comic fandom before Infinity War came out. He was teased of course but I mean I don't remember it being that big a deal to the GA. It was "oh yeah there's that big purple guy that we might see in an Avengers movie one day"

It was a big deal exactly because he had been teased so many times. Most of my circles weren't into comics, we were still incredibly hyped for IW because Thanos was built up for so long as this looming ultimate threat. 

India has now surpassed Germany. It's currently the 4th biggest market for the movie.

01 | 62.1 M | China

02 | 27.4 M | South Korea

03 | 26.0 M | France

04 | 22.0 M | India

05 | 21.3 M | Germany

06 | 16.3 M | United Kingdom

07 | 15.6 M | Mexico

08 | 12.5 M | Australia

09 | 11.7 M | Italy

10 | 10.0 M | Brazil

• Like 2