Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

3 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

2015 was a great year at the box office. It had amazing movies like The Big Short and Inside Out, medium sized movies that did respectable business as well as huge special blockbusters like The Force Awakens, Age of Ultron, Fast and The Furious 7 and Minions. Hmm not many other good and big blockbusters though apart from the 4 I mentioned

It is understandable that you forgot to mention the greatest movie of that year since JW's light shines so bright that every other film besides it clings to it like moths, so the only thing you see when looking at 2015 is these movies and not the center of true quality.

• Haha 1

watched the new christmas movies. Violent Night had a lot of fun some of the kills got cackles out of me so good job. Spirited feels 9 hours long and i wish just one of the three leads could actually sing but it's cute. a little more forgiving of it because of how much i like christmas stuff.

Edited by CoolioD1

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Whitney was also a black woman. I don't know about her trials and tribulations, didn't enter mainstream media like say Britney Spears. Was Whitney's life front page news? I don't remember it that way

What? Beyond wrong. Whitney Houston was an insanely popular superstar circa 1992. She was viewed as ruining her own life with drug addiction. Whitney's drug and marriage problems were front page news constantly in her time very much ala Britney Spears mental health issues. Whitney was a name constantly referenced when her family intervened to get Britneys straightened out- they didn't want it going that path.

People need to stop bring up race in these conversations. Its nonsensical. Non-white artists have been remarkably popular and famous DECADES going back to the 1950s. RAY was a giant hit film. Everyone knows Beyonce is closest thing to American royalty. That variable has absolutely nothing to do with this movie flopping.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

People bashed Lightyear for "flopping" but it's hard to winover kids these days. 

No need for the quotation marks, it bombed. 

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

watched the new christmas movies. Violent Night had a lot of fun some of the kills got cackles out of me so good job. 

That chimney scene is one of the best deaths of the year lol. Hilarious. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

What? Beyond wrong. Whitney Houston was an insanely popular superstar circa 1992. She was viewed as ruining her own life with drug addiction. People need to stop bring up race in these conversations. Its nonsensical. Non-white artists have been remarkably popular and famous DECADES going back to the 1950s. RAY was a giant hit film. Everyone knows Beyonce is closest thing to American royalty. 

Ray was played by a mainstream actor....Jamie Foxx. Whitney is played by an unknown actress. What other musical biopics about black women are there that made big money?

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

I think Banshees is in much more appealing league for wide audience than, let's say, Beale Street.

Is that saying anything? The point is that it is not on the general public's radar and never will be as is the case with the majority of the "prestige" projects 

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Whitney was also a black woman. I don't know about her trials and tribulations, didn't enter mainstream media like say Britney Spears. Was Whitney's life front page news? I don't remember it that way

From my memory yes. There were SNL and Madtv skits about her drug problem. Almost everyone in the media called her a crack head. She was a walking joke. I remember coverage of her like this 

And then her infamous interview with Diane Sawyer about her drug use. She made a comeback in 2008/2009-ish though and seemed to be doing better.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Eric in Boots said:

Awww. Little baby looks so tired 🥺

She is being the best baby ever, despite it being a very stressful couple of days.  

I was so **HEART EYES** last night when she was being so so so so well behaved while I as dying in bed.  She just curled up to me and snuggled.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Wait did Babylon not get reported lol. It is doing SO horribly in my area, even in markets where it would normally do well.

Babylon is estimated for 3,3M for the weekend.

Yep, 3,3M OW Fri-Sun.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

1) What films did Cameron Diaz herself carry to success? Love her but you think she is the reason her hit films were hits...?

2) Robbie is the reason the DC films sank? GTFO with that BS :lol:

Cameron Diaz is top billed for There Is Something about Mary, Charlie's Angels, the sequel, What Happens in Vegas, Bad Teacher and The Other Woman. Name just one hit that Margot Robbie has as the top billing or even as a co-lead? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Maggie said:

Ray was played by a mainstream actor....Jamie Foxx. Whitney is played by an unknown actress. What other musical biopics about black women are there that made big money?

There have been several musical biopics of Black female artists over the years that have done well (Lady In Blues, What's Love Got To Do With It).  Aretha probably would've been MUCH bigger if it wasn't released in COVID hell when the Old People weren't going out.  The Woman King made 94M at the box office this year, and Black Panther made 423M.  We're not doing the whole It's Cause She's Black and An Unknown Actress Is Playing Her Thing.  At all.  Find another way to concern troll.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I haven't seen 3 of these and for all I know they may be right or wrong (Babylon looks awful to me, but not exactly boring), but calling Banshees "Boring Predictable Oscar bait" is possibly the biggest L I've seen in the history of my time on this forum.

No one outside of Twitter cares or is going to care about it, and that is the point of that post