Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

The theater I'm seeing Puss in Boots at in a few hours is an absolute zoo. Avatar is filling up pretty much everything throughout the day (PLF, 3D, 2D) while Puss in Boots and Whitney are doing similarly well in fairly big theaters. Let the recovery begin!

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The theater I'm seeing Puss in Boots at in a few hours is an absolute zoo. Avatar is filling up pretty much everything throughout the day (PLF, 3D, 2D) while Puss in Boots and Whitney are doing similarly well in fairly big theaters. Let the recovery begin!

Yes!

I really hope you enjoy the film. It's so good. The charm it carries just makes me smile.

45 minutes ago, cookie said:

Wait, why is Deadline’s Saturday drop for Avatar better than Rogue One, but the Sunday increase a lot worse? Can someone TL:DR me on what I’ve missed?

Studio is way lowballing.

A2 projected numbers using R1 jumps:

Sun:  25.3m

Mon: 31.4m

Even if it doesn't have as good as jumps as R1, Disney's initial jump for Sun is probably way too damn low.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

I'm confused about Box Office Pro's reporting here: 

Since the film was released last Wednesday, its five-day total stands at $18.2M. Compared to the five-day totals for other comparable films

If the 5-day total is 18.253M and the 3-day is reported as 11.35M that means the Wednesday and Thursday combined is 6.9M. But it is not. It's 6.1M. What is this inconcistency in the math vs reporting?

I see this in Deadline too.

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (Uni) 4,099 theaters, Fri $3.8M, Sat $2.8M, Sun $4.7M Mon $6.4M 3-day $11.35M, 4-day $17.77M/Total $24.6M/Wk 1

They say the 6-day is 24.6M and the 4-day is 17.77M. If we subtract those we should get the combined Wednesday and Thursday of 6.1M but we don't. Instead we get 6.83M.

What the hell is happening here!?!

Can someone answer this for me?

1 hour ago, Gkalaitza said:

Sunday being up 77% from Saturday but Avatar being only 43% seems  a bit sus yeah. Not that it should be close to the former number but something like 55% would make more sense

It's a bit sus because deadline is drunk again because the numbers are like 21.5 on Sat 33.6 on Sunday a 56% increase and the major discrepancy here is coming from wonky numbers for both Whitney and Babylon they are dropping 60% and 59% on Sat and then increasing a whooping 200% and 144% on Sun

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Studio is way lowballing.

A2 projected numbers using R1 jumps:

Sun:  25.3m

Mon: 31.4m

Even if it doesn't have as good as jumps as R1, Disney's initial jump for Sun is probably way too damn low.

Is it possible that their Sunday estimates are their initial conservative estimates for the Weekend anticipating the storm so even if numbers started coming in better and the impact was less than expected they just kept/gave those initial ones and have the actuals come in higher . Does it work like that?

Edited by Gkalaitza

2 minutes ago, Gkalaitza said:

Is it possible that their Sunday estimates are their initial conservative estimates for the Weekend anticipating the storm so even if numbers starting coming in better and the impact was less than expected they just kept/gave those initial ones and have the actuals come in higher . Does it work like that?

Most probably that is the case. Also could be anticipating a lower bump than previous years because holidays have become somewhat muted post COVID.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gkalaitza said:

Is it possible that their Sunday estimates are their initial conservative estimates for the Weekend anticipating the storm so even if numbers started coming in better and the impact was less than expected they just kept/gave those initial ones and have the actuals come in higher . Does it work like that?

Disney lowballing is relatively common even without storm shenanigans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Wow. $1.1 billion already for A2? And when did Black Panther 2 get $1.2 billion? Its box office practically doubled in a week. 😳

A2 hasn't crossed 1B mark neither has WF

11 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Can someone answer this for me?

Early access shows from Nov being added to cumulative total but not yet reflected in daily numbers?

• Like 1