Eric Loves Rey

Han and Eric's (Not-So) Controversial Predictions of 2023

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Certainly David Gordon Green's Exorcist legacy sequel will be closer to his Halloween '18 than either of its garbage sequels that somehow also came from him, right?

Hopefully he goes straight to his "insane sequels" phase instead of giving us a safe legacy sequel inbetween.

• Like 1

I can definitely see True Love bomb and be Gareth Edwards's last theatrical movie, at least for a while. Godzilla collapsed after its big opening, and Rogue One was a troubled production, so Hollywood's patience with him must be wearing pretty thin. I'm honestly surprised this movie even got made at all. I'm sure Disney will probably send it out to die like they've done with 95% of Fox productions. They clearly wanted the IP and not the actual studio, and it has shown time and time again.

That Saw prediction honestly seems way too low. Tobin Bell's return, along with the movie actually focusing on his character this time, should result in decent cash.

17 hours ago, Brainbug said:

In numbers? Probably not, Exorcist is not as popular as Halloween.

OK, so I'll dispute this here to a point. As a franchise, you're right, Halloween is more popular as an ongoing franchise. That being said, The Exorcist is absolutely as popular as Halloween a single movie. Let's not forget, The Exorcist was for the longest time the biggest R rated movie of all time, and had a re-release that did over $100m WW in 2000. Obviously, different time, but I wouldn't underestimate the pull that the original has in the same way that the first Halloween movie did for the 2018 edition.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 2:12 PM, WrathOfHan said:

January 6

M3GAN: Gonna be real, I think buzz peaked too early on this one. Having the premiere well in advance of the film's release without social reactions or reviews was a dumb move. Social marketing has to go back into overdrive this week to remind audiences it's out soon. That said, M3GAN will still open to strong numbers for an early January horror, just maybe not what some of us were hoping for. Legs will depend how well the film delivers on its campy marketing. 20/55 (2.75x)

On 12/25/2022 at 2:27 PM, CJohn said:

M3GAN is opening with 40M+. You read it here first. 

red-alphabet-letter-dancing-letter-l.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

What about November and December?

I'm waiting for @WrathOfHan to publish his October numbers first, and then we get back to the swing of things. I talked to Han earlier today, and he is sadly busy today, but I believe he could get something up tomorrow

• Like 1

November 3

Dune: Part Two: Fuck you, I’m voting big on this. Dune had incredibly sturdy legs despite its HBO Max availability, and the strong reception has made the franchise bigger than ever. Like the Lord of the Rings movies, this film served as a major entry point for new fans and I feel plenty of people have gone on to read the books for the first time after this movie's release. I know I have. Plus with solid reception and a growing fandom, there is plenty excitement from many to see how this story all ends. Both from people who know what happens and newbies who don't have a clue what the future holds. Expect a huge jump from the last movie and this franchise becoming a very big deal for WB in our post-Zas world. 95/255 (2.68x)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Eric the Plane said:

November 3

Dune: Part Two: Fuck you, I’m voting big on this. Dune had incredibly sturdy legs despite its HBO Max availability, and the strong reception has made the franchise bigger than ever. Like the Lord of the Rings movies, this film served as a major entry point for new fans and I feel plenty of people have gone on to read the books for the first time after this movie's release. I know I have. Plus with solid reception and a growing fandom, there is plenty excitement from many to see how this story all ends. Both from people who know what happens and newbies who don't have a clue what the future holds. Expect a huge jump from the last movie and this franchise becoming a very big deal for WB in our post-Zas world. 95/255 (2.68x)

I may sound crazy but i even think 300M is not totally out of the question for this movie if its on par quality-wise with the first one (though 200-250M range is probably a lot more realistic). I know where the story goes and this has some raw cinematic potential!

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

November 18

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: I know it was fun, still fun in fact, to dunk on this and the franchise. And we all have said this new movie is going to be a huge bomb and a waste of time...but I think we all have to eat crow soon. The Hunger Games is now a part of the nostalgia cycle, which saw Twilight benefit big time once it hit Netflix a couple years ago. And Lionsgate will do everything to make sure people know Hunger Games is coming back and tackle people's fond memories. The Quorum already shows there’s tons of awareness of this new movie already and it even landed on the Fandango Top 10 list despite one brief teaser and a few stills. People are excited for this believe it or not. Mockingjay Part 2 numbers sound about right. Weird to think this was a disappointing gross back in the day, but that’s the current box office decline for ya...well, and it's also a spin-off, so I guess it's justifiable. 110/285 (2.59x)

Trolls 3: Unlike Paw Patrol, I do think the toys and merch for Trolls has slowed down a bit. Just at a cursory glance, doesn't seem like it's around as much as it was from 2017-19. And yeah, there’s not much of an older crowd that will turn up for this, which is bad news in a world where kids don’t care about theaters anymore. But while I have it where it just misses, it still has enough cache as a franchise where it could pass the century mark. Which is better than the other animated movie coming out this year. 25/95 (3.8x)

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

November 22

Wish: Like I said before, Daddy Iger coming back doesn’t mean anything. In fact, when Iger returned, he still let Strange World come to Disney+ after one month in time for Christmas. And frankly, you all know this is going to happen to this movie. You can argue with yourself all you want how “Disney has no December movies” and “This is a princess movie,, so it's a bigger deal”. This is dropping on Disney+ on Christmas as the big finale to Disney’s 100th anniversary because Disney doesn’t care about the box office anymore. But if we’re looking things over, this should do somewhere between Raya and Encanto. Which...I mean, better than nothing. But like I said, enjoy these movies in theaters while you still can, because both Pixar and WDAS will become permanent streaming content farms in the near-future. 20/35/75 (3.75x)

• Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 4

4 minutes ago, Eric the Plane said:

November 22

Wish: Like I said before, Daddy Iger coming back doesn’t mean anything. In fact, when Iger returned, he still let Strange World come to Disney+ after one month in time for Christmas. And frankly, you all know this is going to happen to this movie. You can argue with yourself all you want how “Disney has no December movies” and “This is a princess movie,, so it's a bigger deal”. This is dropping on Disney+ on Christmas as the big finale to Disney’s 100th anniversary because Disney doesn’t care about the box office anymore. But if we’re looking things over, this should do somewhere between Raya and Encanto. Which...I mean, better than nothing. But like I said, enjoy these movies in theaters while you still can, because both Pixar and WDAS will become permanent streaming content farms in the near-future. 20/35/75 (3.75x)

Aren't you feeling positive about theatrical right now. Also, Fuck Chapek

• Like 2