charlie Jatinder

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread || Avatar $20.1M THU - Top 10 DOM or Bust!

56 minutes ago, Shanks said:

I saw Avatar 2 again today in IMAX 3D, before was 4DX.. and I dislike movie more now.  On other note, IMAX 3D is way better than 4DX...

Seriously, there are other movies out - Puss is one you'll actually probably like...and if not, at least there will be novelty.

I mean, the spouse and I talk about revealed preferences.  If my kid says he hates something, but then gets thirds of it, he doesn't hate it, he secretly loves it but just wants to get his way on something later...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rogue One fell of a cliff in January 3rd (Tuesday). This is the most important day of the run IMO, but I have a hard time seing this have the same kind of drop and behave similarly to a SW movie throughout January and February. We will see soon enough, so I think is fair to say that we can't possibly know until then.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Rogue One fell of a cliff in January 3rd (Tuesday). This is the most important day of the run IMO, but I have a hard time seing this have the same kind of drop and behave similarly to a SW movie throughout January and February. We will see soon enough, so I think is fair to say that we can't possibly know until then.

Yeah, Rogue dropped almost 63% in Week 4 (January 6-12) and Rogue also dropped 51% in Week 6 (January 20-26). It will be interesting to see how Avatar 2 performs in this time period. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Agree but it was wednesday 4th it falls off the cliff not the tuesday

Interestingly both Rogue One and NWH had very similar numbers on Wednesday, Thursday of Jan First week. Wednesday + Thursday for Rogue One was $8.1M whereas it was $8.3M. It was only from the following weekend, Rogue One started falling behind NWH significantly in dailies and NWH ended up making almost double of Rogue One for rest of the run...makes we wonder how much of an advantage it was for NWH to have such a weak slate in January, something which might apply for Avatar2 too. Rogue One seems to have had much tougher competition

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

$23.8m is a good number but still not a number to cheer about. I never thought Avatar 2 could be on the edge of $600m, especially after seeing overseas number. 

Great for PIB2, we got another animation candidate to beat Lightyear. 

3rd biggest second Tuesday of all time... nothing to cheer about... we are in cuckoo land.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

$23.8m is a good number but still not a number to cheer about. I never thought Avatar 2 could be on the edge of $600m, especially after seeing overseas number. 

Great for PIB2, we got another animation candidate to beat Lightyear. 

23.8 is a good one in my opinion

37 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Agree but it was wednesday 4th it falls off the cliff not the tuesday

It was the Tuesday. It make 15M in the Monday and then 6M in the Tuesday. I mean, a big drop is always expected after New Year's, but it dropped 60% from Monday and 72% from the previous Tuesday. 

4 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

It was the Tuesday. It make 15M in the Monday and then 6M in the Tuesday. I mean, a big drop is always expected after New Year's, but it dropped 60% from Monday and 72% from the previous Tuesday. 

it wasn't just Rogue One...NWH did also fall pretty hard to $5.9M on Tuesday (Jan 4th)

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Seriously, there are other movies out - Puss is one you'll actually probably like...and if not, at least there will be novelty.

I mean, the spouse and I talk about revealed preferences.  If my kid says he hates something, but then gets thirds of it, he doesn't hate it, he secretly loves it but just wants to get his way on something later...

I don't get people like you who drag their own kids & wife's preferences in convo - which has nothing to do with yourself at all. 

It is an opinion and I disliked Avatar 2, on 2nd watch - more. Did I ask you or anybody else not to see it? So, What's up with a snide personal remark? 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Certainly worth celebrating but I bet they meant more so showing signs of insane legs if had post a number of 25M or 26M+ for Tuesday.

In this case Avatar need some serious gain over New Year weekend to live up to the "Motion picture event of the Generation" tagline during final marketing push.

$75m 3rd weekend would be something that got me screaming and cheer.   

A2 is not going to present phenomenal legs at this point, but I don't think that was ever a reasonable expectation for a sequel. Best case will be a strong hold this weekend and then legging out an empty January like NWH.