XXR & Friends

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

TWOWs run just keeps getting better and better. The potential for a nearly 70m 3rd WE and 2nd to 3rd increase?! Only Avatar.
I keep trying to remind myself that this is the holiday period and to not let my excitement shift into expectations… but I’ve done that about 12 times this week and the numbers just keep proving me wrong. 

Even if this goes all Rogue One on us after this weekend, it’s actually been great to see how many old users (myself included) have come out of hiding to watch this. I’ve been lurking behind the scenes for years but TWOW got me excited enough for box office again that I logged back in again.

Can’t wait to see where this lands!

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

It's Holiday Gross Steroid Booster Shot is about to wear off though lol

Of course but the film is going to be around 1.4bil after this weekend. probably 1.6bil after next weekend WW, and so on and so on.

2bil is NOT the ceiling.

• Like 1

I mean the film will be a bit over 1.4bil after this weekend. Next weekend should be in the 30-40mil range (and imo it will be closer to 40mil), International will 100% certain be at least 100mil, if not a bit more. Throw in domestic and international weekdays and the film will probably be around 1.65bil, maybe even approaching 1.7bil by the end of next weekend.

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

I mean the film will be a bit over 1.4bil after this weekend. Next weekend should be in the 30-40mil range (and imo it will be closer to 40mil), International will 100% certain be at least 100mil, if not a bit more. Throw in domestic and international weekdays and the film will probably be around 1.65bil, maybe even approaching 1.7bil by the end of next weekend.

Avatar will do around around 1.7B next Sunday

1 hour ago, XXR M37's Club Is Dead said:

Comps so far are pointing to where most of us expected. Looking like 19-20 right now. I'm curious to see how strong (or weak) the evening hours are. 

Oh man I hope so, that would be fantastic. Over A1 3rd weekend can def happen with 20 today. 

6 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

If Shrek 5 turns out to be as good as Puss in Boots 2 it can make $800M+. 

This creates some nice goodwill for the franchise for sure but it will really all be in the court of the studio to market it in a way that really taps into all of the nostalgia potential. And of course it also needs to deliver as a film. 

I kind of hope A2 doesn’t go any higher than 2.4b WW max for the sheer sake of the fact that if it did it would mean it prob would have nabbed the new all time record with a healthy China and Japan not tanking, and that would suck if that’s all that caused it to miss. 

• Like 1