XXR & Friends

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

11 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

The first one is misleading (iirc it was just one theater in a fairly minor chain), the second is only partially true (slam dunk released 2 weeks prior, but yes, much better competition than rest of the world alongside Suzume), and the third one feels like some minor stuff that twitter users make out much bigger than it actually is.

Japan just moved on. The convos trying to rationalise why are exhausting. It's Japan, they don't really care what is popular elsewhere.

Yeah, almost certainly I'd say.

Funnily enough Japan is the sole market where the “no cultural impact” argument against A2 proved to be true

12 minutes ago, Flip said:

Funnily enough Japan is the sole market where the “no cultural impact” argument against A2 proved to be true

I think it’s way less to do with Avatar and far more to do with them not caring about American movies at all anymore, especially live action. If Mario Bros can’t light the japan BO on fire, then I’d say they may as well stop releasing big American blockbusters there. 

And even then… that movie has such inherent deep roots in Japanese pop culture and Japanese people heavily involved in its making, that it may as well be a Japanese anime more than a Hollywood blockbuster. 

Edited by MovieMan89

14 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

No, please see it in theaters. I beg you. The sound design and cinematography are experiences that should only be seen in on the big screen

if its still there by february i'll try 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

39 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think it’s way less to do with Avatar and far more to do with them not caring about American movies at all anymore, especially live action. If Mario Bros can’t light the japan BO on fire, then I’d say they may as well stop releasing big American blockbusters there. 

And even then… that movie has such inherent deep roots in Japanese pop culture and Japanese people heavily involved in its making, that it may as well be a Japanese anime more than a Hollywood blockbuster. 

I do think that even if Hollywood (mainly Disney) has been on the decline in Japan over the past few years, they still care about American movies, just less. The run of Top Gun Maverick stands as proof of that. 

Just now, Flip said:

I do think that even if Hollywood (mainly Disney) has been on the decline in Japan over the past few years, they still care about American movies, just less. The run of Top Gun Maverick stands as proof of that. 

The combination of the weak yen versus the dollar and the general decrease of sequels in Japan (e.g. Harry Potter, Jurassic World, Star Wars) meant that Avatar 2 was already going to lose at least half of Avatar's $188M dollars, but Japan just isn't that interested in the franchise, which might be due to the decline of American movies that you noticed.

I do wish Hollywood was still doing better in Japan bc it’s a massive movie market, but I also give them big props for respecting animation so much. Wish other markets would. 

Very curious for what How Do You Live can do there. Though I don’t buy that July release date for one second. 

Edited by MovieMan89

12 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

BTW, is 2 Billy for Avatar 2 a very real prospect now? I would've been happy 1.7B-1.9B, but how is the international side of things looking fo finish? Realistically that is.

It's basically certain at this point. 

12 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

BTW, is 2 Billy for Avatar 2 a very real prospect now? I would've been happy 1.7B-1.9B, but how is the international side of things looking fo finish? Realistically that is.

Yeah, worldwide #3 is the target. We'll be at 1.4b by Monday

• Like 1