kayumanggi

ANYONE BUT YOU | 12.22.2023 | Sony | final gross: $88,319,668

The reviews are actually better than I expected given how terrible the marketing campaign has been + very late embargo, though clearly not enough to save it in this theatrical climate. Should be a hit on Netflix when it lands, assume it'll be there on Valentine's Day.

On 12/21/2023 at 10:24 AM, CJohn said:

Sony botched this one hard. Should have released on VD with these reviews.

I think this will ultimately be a much more lucrative time to release the movie, simply for the holiday legs alone where it's one of only two movies directly targeting women at the busiest time of the year for movie theaters. If they released this on 2/2 or 2/9 its legs might be capped a bit by the holiday, even if it gets one really strong day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mean Girls and ABY can co-exist together. Even though MG has the same audience as ABY, it doesn't have the date night option like the latter. Plus, it doesn't seem that it will have the same legs like the 2004 one. Crossing my fingers it can get to $100m, but at least it will pass No Hard Feelings globally. 

Probably has been noted elsewhere but it did $754k the first Sunday, $1.764k 2nd Sunday, and $2.516 third. With around a million today leading into the weekend and the holiday on Monday there's a chance it could actually increase again on the 4th Sunday. I'm looking for a good comp but not really finding any, would need +135% Friday +60% Saturday -20% Sunday to hit $3m this Sunday. Those bumps are probably too big for a rated R movie, but not impossible.

Nevermind, only 3 increasing sundays.

Edited by MattW

This was a decent light hearted romcom. All be it a bit too on the nose at points, but the couple are both extremely attractive to make up for it. The setting, in Australia(?) with the beach house and the ocean view, was to die for. I'd could've given it a Low Full Price, if the Sweeney put in a better performance and if the script was more of ummp in their step.

My Score: High Matinee