Shawn Robbins

MLK Weekend Thread (1/13-16) | 3-day/4-day Estimates: Avatar 32.4M/40.6M, M3GAN 18.26M/21.72M, Puss 14.39M/19.04M, Otto 12.8M/15.33M, Plane 10M/12.03M, House Party 4M/4.73M

19 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Yes. But I wouldn't even rank them in the same echelon. Titanic's global run is far and above everything else.

If Avatwo was having an equivalent run to Titanic, it would have made ~$140M for this 3-day weekend, just DOM  😂

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 4

27 minutes ago, M37 said:

If Avatwo was having an equivalent run to Titanic, it would have made ~$140M for this 3-day weekend, just DOM  😂

Sounds to me like Puss is having an equivalent run to Titanic :jeb!:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

Sounds to me like Puss is having an equivalent run to Titanic :jeb!:

That would also mean Showman is on Titanic level! 🤔

Wednesday Xmas openings behave differently than Friday openings: don’t really get that OW rush pre-Christmas, plus they’re usually living in the shadow of the bigger movie that came before and so blossom after Christmas. The compressed nature of the holiday release calendar messes with ratios, since other studios don’t back away from big openings knowing that lucrative period is just around the corner 

Jumanji & Showman don’t open a week after TLJ if it’s a May or July release, but wait a couple of weeks for it to die down, same for PiB & Avatwo 

• Like 1

Hopefully actuals come in a bit higher and m37's club gets dunked on today

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

no movie can have a run similar to titanic unless its 20+ x multiplier makes it the highest grosser domestically by a couple hundred million, greatest showman final number ended up not even beating the opening weekend of multiple films and PIB2 will end up the same

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Including Monday, Avatar 2 is $47m ahead of TGM at the same time but TGM' summer weekdays was too strong to overcome! I wish Avatar could have made over year-end holiday. 

Next weekend will drop the difference a lot, as Maverick pays back Avatar's holiday weekend advantage with a holiday weekend of its own.

Avatar should be around $7m above Maverick on this 4-day weekend compared to Maverick's equivalent Fri-Mon, and Maverick made $32.3m on its own 4-day this weekend, so Avatar will have to make $25m+ over Fri-Mon this week to come out at net neutral over these two 4-days.

Edited by hw64