filmlover

95th Academy Awards nominations thread

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You pretty much summed up there how i feel about the academy nominations every year.

A2, a movie which audiences love love love. Made by James Cameron, doing something no one else can do. Leading a team of 3800 people, pushing boundries on many fronts.

Surely A2 should have a better shot at best director than best picture.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

avatar got in for best picture but still feels like it kinda flopped? only 4 nominations.

It may (and I stress on may) win VFX. The Oscars hate to award the same VFX twice normally, the time between movies may help it there.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think EEAAO is the nomination leader but not sure. All Quiet with a lot of nominations but likely only one win on awards night.

think All Quiet bags cinematography as well since i thought that was going to top gun but it's not there. seems like the likeliest of those nominees.

• Like 2

Just now, IronJimbo said:

A2, a movie which audiences love love love. Made my James Cameron, doing something no one else can do. Leading a team of 3800 people, pushing boundries on many fronts.

Surely A2 should have a better shot at best director than best picture.

might be a peter jackson situation, they know he's got 3 more coming out and they can nominate him later

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

It may (and I stress on may) win VFX. The Oscars hate to award the same VFX twice normally, the time between movies may help it there.

If Avatar doesnt win VFX, the world should collapse. I dont worship that movie in any way, but the effects in Avatar 2 blow every other movie last year out of the water (no pun intended).

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

avatar got in for best picture but still feels like it kinda flopped? only 4 nominations.

Which categories did it get snubbed in?

Bare in mind that best actor,actress and supporting actor, actress were always off the table as they'll never nominate a motion capture performance.

Director

Costume Design

Not really any others I feel it should have gotten but didn't. Unless I'm missing a few.

Just now, grim22 said:

It is so far ahead of the competition on VFX that it would feel ridicolous to not give it the win imho no matter how many times it gets the nom.

Happy for EEAAO and AQOTWF as they were my two films of the year, shame about decision to leave getting snubbed though. Wanted Cameron to get in for BP but guess not. TGM getting screenplay (which it had no business getting) but not cinematography (which it should absolutely have gotten) is absurd. Other than that not much of a surprise I guess, Andrea Riseborough didn't feel that into the conversation but I wouldn't say that's too surprising per se.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Which categories did it get snubbed in?

Bare in mind that best actor,actress and supporting actor, actress were always off the table as they'll never nominate a motion capture performance.

Director

Costume Design

Not really any others I feel it should have gotten but didn't. Unless I'm missing a few.

cinematography (the first movie won) and editing it didn't get too.