BadOlCatSylvester

February 3rd to 5th, 2023 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Cabin 14.2, Brady 12.5, Avatar 10.8, Puss 7.95, BTS 6.3

14 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Spoiler
  Hide contents

The main character dying or the main character continuing to suffer from the horror has been done so a bunch of times in horror before (recent examples I can think of like Hereditary, Drag Me to Hell, The Empty Man, the Candyman remake, Ouija prequel, Doctor Sleep). The main character in The Ring consciously deciding to spread the curse to others so that she and her son won't die is much darker than most death endings I've seen including the one in Smile.

So my point wasn’t

Spoiler

that I don’t like a dark ending or that we don’t often get them, I said that American general audience doesn’t usually respond well to them which the films you listed proves. Great reviews but not as well received by the general audience upon initial release. Apart from Candyman, because that had a satisfying revenge moment in the finale. 

Brokeback Mountain is one of the best films of all time in my opinion, it’s heartbreaking. It should’ve won best picture over Crash. 

Moonlight did win the Oscar in 2017. 

It differs from country to country, but a show like It’s A Sin (2021) broke records here in the UK recently (it’s incredible).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Maybe they'll learn having a senior ticket price like we do helps too 😜

They do...but it's not as cheap as $8, except on Mondays (when it's senior night).

Maybe the family movies will learn and come out with the same $8 all day every day for a future movie...especially one with a lot of uncertainty on will people show for something they are used to seeing on Disney?  Oops, shouldn't have said that last part...

OT: In anticipation of Ant Man's open in 2 weeks, I finally full caught up on Marvel theatrical movies last night.

Yeah, Phase 4 has just not been good.  Wakanda Forever wasn't as bad as its 2 2022 counterparts, but it's still not good.  I don't buy Namor, I don't buy his intentions, I don't buy the former Black Panther keeping a huge "new family" secret from sis, I don't buy the UN/US/SHIELD scenes (I mean, how do we miss enormous battles in the ocean in an age of Stark Tech), I don't buy Riri...the motivations and purposes of just too much of the movie don't work.

That said, the opening was an A+ - which made revisiting it at the end of the movie a C- (b/c it was already done and past - I didn't need the overkill sops), the Queen and Shuri were outstanding for acting, and I liked most everything that happened on and within Wakanda's borders (but just there - not a fan of Haiti scenes, either, for the reason above).

So, overall, it's probably a B-/C+, but not a movie I'd feel is worth a spot for best movies of 2022 - none of Marvel's were, and I haven't said that in a long, long time.  Here's to some improvement in 2023...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

They do...but it's not as cheap as $8, except on Mondays (when it's senior night).

Maybe the family movies will learn and come out with the same $8 all day every day for a future movie...especially one with a lot of uncertainty on will people show for something they are used to seeing on Disney?  Oops, shouldn't have said that last part...

I still don't understand the US not having family tickets, I don't think I ever will. 2 adults and 2 kids here will pay a 4 child ticket rate or less. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$12.5m for 80 For Brady, not the breakout some tracking suggested unfortunately, but still not bad. 

It looked like it could go the way of TTP higher teens, but really was more a smaller scale Downton

Still a solid result for what is really a fairly niche release, certainly more than I was expecting 2 weeks ago 

• Like 1

Holy frontloaded Batman! 

Chosen dropped 65% from TFri to Sat $784K, less than half of the Thursday number 👀 

Edit: that’s a 3.2x IM 

Edited by M37