Eric the Marxist

Trap | August 2, 2024 | Warner Bros. | M. Night Shyamalan

Have seen it. It was ... pretty average, on the same level with Knock at the Cabin. Unfortunately even 100 min is too much for this.

P.S. First and only shocker in the movie: Alison Pill plays a mom of a teenager. I just feel old.

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 2

I mean anyone who planned on showing up for this is already on board. "Decent" isn't gonna get anyone on the fence, and we've had a few proof positives of that this season already. Not really much to gain from screening for critics beforehand aside from more people being outraged about spoilers.

In any case it looks like it'll be doing typical solid m night numbers. A rare small win for Warner this season.

Edited by AniNate

its going to get trashed for sure. if it was any good, they would have screened for critics. Anyway they went with trailers push hype. But I am expecting it to have bad internal multi and then crash post OW as well. Only good thing is MNS does not spend that much on these movies. I dont think he is ever making another big budget studio movies like his heydays. 

53 on MC (31 reviews)

Yeah similar reception of Old, very divisive but no one seems indifferent to it. It’s not really bad reception, i though it was a colossal failure when WB decided to avoid any screenings.

I hope it performs like Old that had good legs despite the divisive audience reception. Cabin was weirdly frontloaded.

5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Non spoiler review

If you're gonna spend this much time on a backdoor concert movie for your kid she needs to be able to be a convincing pop star or actress and she is NEITHER

Should have gotten Taylor Swift.

It is saft to assume this will not be M Night's big comeback film.

M Night will continue to be a niche director ..someone who can make profitibale modest budget films but will never be the huge A List director he was at one point.

It is fascinating how one flop wrecked his career. Most directors who were as sucessful as M night was can withstand a flop, but he never really recovered from Lady In the Water.

Edited by dudalb

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It is saft to assume this will not be M Night's big comeback film.

M Night will continue to be a niche director ..someone who can make profitibale modest budget films but will never be the huge A List director he was at one point.

It is fascinating how one flop wrecked his career. Most directors who were as sucessful as M night was can withstand a flop, but he never really recovered from Lady In the Water.

It started with The Village and snow balled from there. Village was subpar, Lady In water was bad, and The Happening was downright horrific. 3 straight bad/awful films did him in. He hit pause for a bit. And then came After Earth...

He has another big one in him, I suspect, but I would argue Trap is him at both his best and his laziest. 

What absolutely ludicrous nonsense; my audience could not stop laughing. So many implausible turns, it needed another draft or two with the script but Josh Hartnett was compelling. Lady Raven made for a decent enough faux pop star in the background of a movie.

So M Night clearly only cast

Spoiler

Hayley Mills because her most famous role is in The Parent Trap and here she plays the profiler trying to trap a (killer) parent, right? An in-joke that's completely lost on moviegoers under 35. I guess Kid Cudi was there for the youths? How random.

Was the ending supposed to leave the door open for Part 2? lol

• Like 1

Went to see this today. Josh Hartnett is great and I’d say the first hour is pretty tense.

But it gets a bit too far fetched and has about 5 endings. 

M Night’s scripts have finally improved, but he now needs a new editor. 

3/5