GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

1 hour ago, DTP said:

Finally saw Puss in Boots this weekend.

I was expecting it to be good, given the WOM and box office performance, but I wasn't expecting it to slay me that hard! Probably my favorite animated movie of the past 5 years. I hope it can reach $500m, it deserves more money than any Marvel film last year. 

Inspired me to go and rewatch some DreamWorks faves.

Hence the bravery for Dreamswork to relesse it as counter programme for Avatar 2 in December. Could have done more though, if it wasn't released on VOD so early.

It is really great film, right alongside the best Dreamwork films including Shrek 2 and HTTYD. The Bad Guys is also a great film.. Dreamworks slaying it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Just pick a year soon, delay the properties a full year in conjunction with the production slowdown.

Yeah just imagine if they didn't release a movie for two years or something and only released a few TV shows in the time in between. Impossible to imagine such a scenario.

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

"A year off" wouldn't help with resetting the "narrative/discourse" nor lead to any sort of "cleanse".

-signed, SW fan who has seen people bitching about things since 1999 1997 1983 1980.

Yes, exactly. Marvel literally didn't release anything for a year already. Doing so again for no reason would change literally nothing. They're clearly already spacing things out more since Iger took over, meaning the reports that Chapek was involved with making sure everything came out fast were probably true. We've already seen Marvels moved back and the shows scaled back to probably 3 this year and maybe a couple specials. 

Plus the whole slate was inevitably going to get a push back when Spidey 4 gets a date, just like how all three of the last 3 caused various delays when they got dates too. Feige said he wanted the shows to be more episodic, so probably more stuff like She-Hulk and Daredevil Born again where the shows have more episodes each season.

Edited by SpiderByte

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

"A year off" wouldn't help with resetting the "narrative/discourse" nor lead to any sort of "cleanse".

-signed, SW fan who has seen people bitching about things since 1999 1997 1983 1980.

The only thing that will change the narrative at this point other than a striing of great CATWS/GOTG level movies is a hard reset which I think marvel was already planning to do after Secret Wars...X-Men has to get into this story somehow.

3 hours ago, Mr Roark said:

Crazy to think that after NWH the MCU will (likely) take another 40 months to cross $1B ww again.

Yeah but there were no 1billion films in 2014 or 2017. It happens. Dr. Strange would have DEFINITELY done it if not for China/Russia. That film needs a big fat asterisk on it.

• ...wtf 1

8 hours ago, John Marston said:

re releases these days pretty much only appeal to film buffs. Gone are the days when you could have something like the Star Wars Special Edition do huge business

I didn't see a single ad for the re-release. Did Disney even advertise it?

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Time doesn't heal all wounds

Good projects heal all wounds 😛

2 hours ago, Nikostar said:

Wait. Did somebody really say Marvel should take a break after a 187 opening, 180 opening, 130 opening and a 105 opening film. Not to mention what NWH opened to. Get real folks.

I don't think the openings are the problem (domestic opening, because overseas could be worrisome actually), but the reception and the legs of the MCU. The thing is: for how long will you be able to maintain such high level of openings if this trend of reception continues? Most people are worried about the long term impact...

54 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Only learned now Eternals budget was 272.6m! That means it was a huge money loser 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinereid/2023/02/13/eternals-was-over-budget-says-marvel/?sh=4b60ee8f3685

It also got a staggering $36.4 million (£30.2 million) back from the UK government giving Eternals net production costs of $236.2 million. 

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

Yeah but there were no 1billion films in 2014 or 2017. It happens. Dr. Strange would have DEFINITELY done it if not for China/Russia. That film needs a big fat asterisk on it.

TLJ?

Beauty and the Beast?

Fate of the Furious?

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

It also got a staggering $36.4 million (£30.2 million) back from the UK government giving Eternals net production costs of $236.2 million. 

Marvel reeeeally thought they had a winner on their hands. A huge sub-franchise.

• Like 1

Are we sure WOM for AMWQ is actually bad? Reviews certainly aren’t good, but nothing in daily numbers shows degradation, and audience score is still high (84%)

• Like 1