filmlover

The 95th Academy Awards official live feed thread | EEAAO and All Quiet win most of the awards. A24 reigns supreme and Asian Excellence is high

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Christopher Nolan never won. In fact, the major cast members announced so far like RDJ, Emily Blunt, Cillian Murphy never won. So it is still pretty much a "never won" underdog.   

If Nolan has a film with TTDK-like reception today, it would pull a TITANIC/ROTK and win everything. TDK was the film that told everyone Nolan had arrived. Now that he is beyond established, if he does it again, he will win bigly. Oppenheimer would seem unlikely to be it, though. 

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's a bit crazy how Fabelmans fell off. I remember when it premiered the reactions were like "The Oscar race is over". There was no actual backlash against it, it just faded away slowly instead. Michelle Williams probably didn't help by going for Best Actress instead of what would have probably been a sweep in what ended up being an unsettled Supporting Actress race.

After Lincoln was a major category non-starter outside of DDL despite all the things it had going for it, I came to the conclusion that Spielberg is such a titan that he’s never going to win anything again unless he makes something undeniable on the level of his other two Best Director winners or his other all-timers that didn’t win (i.e. Jaws, Raiders, E.T.). I adored The Fabelmans, but I was skeptical of its chances even at its height as a contender simply for the fact that it never felt like the praise was breathless enough nor like it would make much money at the box office.

I do think time will be very kind to it, though. I feel like in a decade or two, it’s going to be one of the go-to answers for most underrated/overlooked Spielberg film.

Dramas have largely struggled at the box office post-COVID unless they were driven by iconic discography (Elvis) or based on popular source material (Where the Crawdads Sing) but hopefully Oppenheimer is a hit despite the immense amount of competition surrounding it. That utterly massive cast alone (even if it seems clear from marketing materials that everyone except Murphy/Blunt/Damon/RDJ/Pugh is basically a glorified cameo) makes it one of the more intriguing-sounding movies of the summer, kind of like Knives Out or Dune but for prestige dramas.

8 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Spielberg is such a titan that he’s never going to win anything again unless he makes something undeniable on the level of his other two Best Director winners or his other all-timers that didn’t win (i.e. Jaws, Raiders, E.T.)

Correct. Same dynamic at play. Look at other true GOATs and recognition isn't always what one would expect. LeBron and Brady have only won a few MVPs. Bill Belichick has won Coach of the Year 2x? 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

What are the odds of Dune pulling a RotK next year? 

....would guess low. A random film such as Wonka breaking out and dominating would be interesting though. 

I don't say this to be a dick, because both movies from the past two years are fine, but it seems like the pattern for virtually every major category winner post-COVID is "extremely sentimental." It's what is striking a cord, at both the box office and with awards voters. Good luck to a dark, morally complicated movie like Killers Of The Flower Moon or Oppenheimer! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

What are the odds of Dune pulling a RotK next year? 

Doubt it. Should be good for the same nominations as the first though, since it's bound to be WB's either number one or two push next year depending on The Color Purple (Barbie and Wonka are clearly commercial/tech players and nothing more besides perhaps the Comedy/Musical categories at the Golden Globes).

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

It's a bit crazy how Fabelmans fell off. I remember when it premiered the reactions were like "The Oscar race is over". There was no actual backlash against it, it just faded away slowly instead. Michelle Williams probably didn't help by going for Best Actress instead of what would have probably been a sweep in what ended up being an unsettled Supporting Actress race.

Maybe people would have judged Williams differently had she gone Supporting, but there's a decent amount of blowback about her performance in general, if she was an over-the-top caricature (even if Spielberg's mother was really like that). Plus, the "should have been cast at all" debate as she's not Jewish, which has come up on Twitter and in the Anonymous Ballots, plus the SNL Oscars sketch also made a dig at Williams and the Marvelous Mrs Maisel actress about this issue (and we get to do this all over again with Maestro next year, hooray).

Anyway, I think Williams could've ended up being a fake frontrunner even in Supporting Actress, as awards bodies just didn't care for The Fabelmans that much overall.

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

No wonder Morbius looked that Oscar-baity to me last year!

I love that EEAAO is about to pass Morbius at the box office (domestically), it should happen this week. Says a lot about the trajectory of both films....

Tough beat for Bassett: the stars have to align completely to win on narrative and an MCU performance added another obstacle. I do hope she's nominated again soon and in a strong Best Picture contender the next time.

Oooof, clearly some cooling on Elvis between nominations and now. My pet theory is that American voters watched the Super Bowl, saw Bradley Cooper all over it and were like, "Right, playing a deep voiced singer doesn't actually your speaking voice in real life-what are we doing with this Butler kid?" Meanwhile, the BAFTAs carried on with Elvis fever. Also, the "How will Lisa Marie's death impact the campaign?" articles seemed especially crass, even if WB/Austin didn't do anything inappropriate themselves in the aftermath. Butler's age wouldn't affect below-the-line wins, at some point the support for the movie fizzled out.

So, Gaga performed after saying she wouldn't, and all "stripped down with no makeup" after being superglam on the red carpet? Lol, she's so extra.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

People here really don't like Green Book huh. I thought it was a solid crowdpleaser in a pretty weak year. I was rooting for The Favorite though.

Anyway, happy for EEAAO it's my film of the year. But I'm sad for Banshees. I was hoping it'd come through in supporting and writing but it didn't happen. It is what it is I suppose.

Not sure why people are making a fuss about Bassett, memes aside her momentum had completely fizzled out by oscars so she was never going to take it. But I'm kind of sad JLC got it anyways, she was fine but not better than any of the nominees. A blatant career oscar and one I'm not sure was even warranted given that in her career she's never really cared about even trying to pursue Oscar-worthy roles but now she's got one anyways. Mah. Atleast with Di Caprio you can say he'd been snubbed in the past.

6 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I'm just embarrassed for Angela Bassett. The term ''sore loser'' has a new face and it's hers. No class, no...regal quality (for all of those who call her "queen"). Just a bitter woman who couldn't show some dignity. Ugh

Cool story bro.

Jamie Lee Curtis winning Best Supporting Actress is the biggest crock of utter bullshit I've seen in years. So many other better performances in her category that were not even nominated, and she was also outclassed by her fellow EEAAO nominee Stephanie Hsu. 

• Like 1

I was so surprised JLC was nominated, but to see her win is an utter joke. 

Of course, I did not watch this Oscars as I haven't for many years now. But it's stuff like this that prove why the Oscars are so unpopular now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xavier said:

I'm just embarrassed for Angela Bassett. The term ''sore loser'' has a new face and it's hers. No class, no...regal quality (for all of those who call her "queen"). Just a bitter woman who couldn't show some dignity. Ugh

I don't blame Angela Bassett. Big deal...she couldn't fake it. All these congrats, greetings are just for show. In reality, these are real people with real emotions. Do you think all these people smiling for the cameras don't feel envy, hate when they are losing? I don't wanna imagine all the hatred, backstabbing that goes on behind the scenes.

• Like 4