Eric Loves Rey

The Top 100 Warner Bros. Movies | Here's looking at the stuff dreams are made of....Sam...kid | Due Date Over! Will accept late submissions

1. Inception (2010)
  2. Blade Runner: 2049 (2017)
  3. JFK (1991)
  4. Mad Max Fury Road (2015)
  5. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
  6. You've Got Mail (1998)
  7. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
  8. Badlands (1973)
  9. Dune (2021)
  10. The Batman (2022)
  11. The Shining (1980)
  12. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
  13. The Departed (2006)
  14. Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
  15. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
  16. Joker (2019)
  17. The Green Mile (1999)
  18. Her (2013)
  19. The Matrix (1999)
  20. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)
  21. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
  22. August Rush (2007)
  23. Strangers on a Train (1951)
  24. Casablanca (1942)
  25. Superman The Movie (1978)
  26. The Lego Movie (2014)
  27. Wonder Woman (2017)
  28. The Dark Knight (2008)
  29. The Lake House (2006)
  30. Zodiac (2007)
  31. Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)
  32. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
  33. Interstellar (2014)
  34. The Lost Boys (1987)
  35. The Suicide Squad (2021)
  36. Aquaman (2018)
  37. Argo (2012)
  38. Batman Begins (2005)
  39. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
  40. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
  41. Miss Congeniality (2000)
  42. Giant (1956)
  43. Contact (1997)
  44. East of Eden (1955)
  45. Midnight Special (2016)
  46. Superman Returns (2006)
  47. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
  48. The Outsiders (1983)
  49. Gremlins (1984)
  50. Speed Racer (2008)
  51. Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
  52. Elvis (2022)
  53. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)
  54. A Street Car Named Desire (1951)
  55. Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)
  56. The Fugitive (1993)
  57. Dunkirk (2017)
  58. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
  59. Ocean's Eleven (2001)
  60. Rebel without a Cause (1955)
  61. Rope (1948)
  62. The Phantom of the Opera (2004)
  63. Invictus (2009)
  64. My Fair Lady (1964)
  65. Gravity (2013)
  66. The Music Man (1962)
  67. Ready Player One (2018)
  68. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
  69. The Lego Batman Movie (2017)
  70. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
  71. The Iron Giant (1999)
  72. Cat's Don't Dance (1997)
  73. A Cinderella Story (2004)
  74. Wonder Woman: 1984 (2020)
  75. Superman II (1980)
  76. The Town (2010)
  77. No Reservations (2007)
  78. The Island (2005)
  79. Empire of the Sun (1987)
  80. The Color Purple (1985)
  81. The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies (2014)
  82. Twister (1996)
  83. Birds of Prey (2020)
  84. Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
  85. Ocean's Thirteen (2007)
  86. P.S. I Love You (2007)
  87. American Sniper (2014)
  88. Fred Claus (2007)
  89. It Takes Two (1995)
  90. Crazy Rich Asians (2018)
  91. Corpse Bride (2005)
  92. We Are Marshall (2006)
  93. The Prestige (2006)
  94. Tenet (2020)
  95. Watchmen (2009)
  96. A Walk to Remember (2002)
  97. The Matrix Reloaded (2003)
  98. The Matrix Resurrections (2021)
  99. Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022)
  100. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 9:32 PM, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

Yep. All three are good. WB had a tiny part in their initial release, so they are good. I will add them into the masterlist later, because I don't have that time on my hands right now. I'm telling you, this shit took years to compile and I hate it :lol:

I'm also gonna question your inclusion of Before Midnight, which wasn't distributed by WB anywhere in the world and whose only tie to it seems to be that it was produced "in association with" Castle Rock (whose logo isn't even in the movie). Seems like a stretch. 

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm also gonna question your inclusion of Before Midnight, which wasn't distributed by WB anywhere in the world and whose only tie to it seems to be that it was produced "in association with" Castle Rock (whose logo isn't even in the movie). Seems like a stretch. 

I could have sworn Castle Rock had more to do with the movie and had their logo and name and stuff in the film, but I'll probably get rid of it, yeah. Just gives people one less movie to worry about, albeit one that a lot of people really like.

• Like 1

Anyhoo, I've got tons of FYCs for ya, but I'll do a couple at a time, specifically through the decades. Mainly the films that I feel most here haven't heard of or haven't seen before and haven't got much representation on these lists. Though I may mention one or two classics everybody knows that I really, really like.

The 1930s

91fdB5MjRaL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Alongside Little Caesar, another Warner Bros. picture, this is one of the very first gangster movies ever made. The precursor to your Scorseses or Ritchies. I thought Little Caesar was fine, albeit hindered by how simple it is (not the film's fault of course, just moreso the passage of time), this holds up very, very well. James Cagney plays Tom Powers as a figure that is bad to the bone in every way. It's chilling to see Cagney play somebody so nefarious and cruel, and it's all through the power of his eyes. I know we all talk about Bette Davis' eyes, but Cagney's deserve love too...did I really write this? Anyways, this also has a fantastic climax and a wonderful final scene that legit took me by surprise. This is definitely a great watch even outside of historical purposes.

MV5BMTk0ODk0MTAyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTE5

Now this has easily been solidified as one of my favorite films of all time after just one watch. It has everything I could want in a film, but I think its themes and commentary is what makes this so powerful for me. Taking place during the Great Depression, this is a film that is angry. Angry at the economy, angry at society, angry at the job market, angry at the government and angry at the prison systems. It's a very anti-establishment, anti-authority, anti-police picture, about a guy, a war veteran, who just wants to find success, but economic realities and corrupt police systems kill those chances at the knees. This came out in 1931, but you could make this movie in 2023 and have it resonate with so many viewers. And it shows that our current-day problems of corrupt government and police and prison systmes isn't current-day. It's always been around.

Paul Muni's also fantastic in the part. He's been overshadowed by the Cagneys and Davises and Bogarts that were in bigger, more culturally iconic hits, and it's unfortunate. I didn't care too much for the films The Life of Emile Zola nor The Story of Louis Pasteur, but he is dynamite in both parts. He even kind of solidified the biopics of today. Really hope people catch this one in particular, because it's amazing work that nobody talks about.

Gold_Diggers_of_1933_(window_card_-_crop

@Jake Gittes already mentioned it, but to go into more detail, this is a hilarious Depression-era comedy with a super tight script and dynamite leading lady performances. The screwball hi-jinx of course end with some classic Busby Berkeley magic, full of incredible visuals and musical performances, but the talky stuff with Mervyn LeRoy is also just as good, which is not always common with Berkeley movies. Don't know how the other two Gold Diggers movies fare, but I liked this one a ton.

MV5BMjM1MjA5NTY1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTQ1

Busby Berkeley's films are kind of a mixed bag. The finales by him are amazing, but his movies are very plotless and meandering, which does make them hard sits in 2023 when you can just YouTube the good stuff. But this has one of the better scripts, with good, risque humor and James Cagney being amazing as always. Watching classic WB has made me a stan for so many actors, but Cagney's one of the big ones. Insane he can deliver chilling gangster roles while also be a lively and charming song and dance man. And yeah, the synchronized swimming moment in the climax, which you likely saw in the Great Movie Ride at Disney World, is a ton of fun. Liked this one a lot. Too bad the final Berkeley moment, "Shanghai Lil" is about as racist and gross as a title like that would suggest.

91Gb2OXw04L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I could be wrong here, but I believe this film was a major influence for the  Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. And yeah, this does capture the swashbuckling fun of the ride and movies very well. This was the big introduction of both Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland, and you could tell they would both do amazing things. Flynn's another actor I'm now a stan of, and he is just so charming as the confident and cocky, yet very lovable hero, and stands well in the action scenes. The first half admittedly is better than the second, despite the latter having more pirate antics, but it's still a blast. If you like Adventures of Robin Hood, you'll enjoy this one.

Jezebel_(1938_film_poster).jpg

This served both as an attempt to capitalize on Gone with the Wind fever (though that film came out a year later than Jezebel) and give Bette Davis a consolation prize for not getting Scarlett. Being a Gone with the Wind rip-off, it does sadly have a lot of the same problematic issues that film has in terms of Antebellum stereotypes. But if you can get past that, which I know not everybody can, it does have a good romance, phenomenal cinematography, and the always incredible Davis as the leading lady. Again, another actor I'm a stan for now. She plays a spoiled character who could have easily been annoying and unlikable i nthe wrong hands, but Davis nails every expression and gesture perfectly, creating somebody who you are sympathetic towards, trapped in a patriarchal society that doesn't respect people like hers. She is the reason to watch this film.

MV5BYmRlOWMxNGEtMDJmZS00YTkyLTg2MzItNjA4

About a woman who only has a few months to live, this is again the Bette Davis show through and through. There's George Brent and Humphrey Bogart pre-Casablanca doing great jobs, but Davis really was a master of her craft. Her character in this is simple and kind of generic, but Davis brings so much nuance and personality to each performance that she feels like a real human being. And through her, she delivers a harrowing reality we all might face. What do we do when we learn we don't have much time left on this Earth? How does it change how we interact with others and our personality? How do we handle these confusing emotions that are now being brought upon us? It's emotional, but extremely empathetic. Add on a devastating tearjerker ending, and this is just a great melodrama all around.

Only downside? Ronald Reagan is in this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 10:36 PM, Count Eric said:

91Gb2OXw04L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I could be wrong here, but I believe this film was a major influence for the  Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. And yeah, this does capture the swashbuckling fun of the ride and movies very well.

That's my understanding as well. Obviously a lot now has been effected by the Pirates movies overlay, but I remember the original ride and you can REALLY see the connections and influences in the feel of the wider town sequences. Amazing film that I put very high up as well as Public Enemy. Hope to check out some of your other recommendations.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 2

FYC The 1940s

MV5BYWQ2NWM1OWUtMDU1Mi00MTRiLTlmYjItZDU5

Yep, another Flynn-Curtiz picture. Going through the WB archives has really made me a Michael Curtiz fan. He's done so much more than Casablanca, and it's insane he has done great work through like 100 different movies in the span of a couple decades. Anyways, this one boasts one of the greatest opening scenes I have ever seen in my life. Its chaotic and wild, yet thrilling and expertly staged. You would think it would be the climax, but it does well at getting you on the edge of your seat and what's ready to come. And thankfully, the rest of the film is epic and exciting that the usual "don't waste your best scene at the beginning" rule is exempted here. If you loved Captain Blood/Robin Hood, you'll love this.

MV5BNDE3OGNmMTAtZWQyMi00ZDM0LWEwYTEtNmQ3

No, this is not a sequel to Sea Hawk. It has nothing to do with tha tmovie in fact. It's a Jack London adaptation and a damn good one. It's a tense thriller with great drama and characters, all anchored by amazing cinematography that moves and sways with the boat and a chilling perofrmance by Edward G. Robinson. And again, this is a Michael Curtiz picture. Again, how did he make so many great movies back to back to back like that?

1200px-Now,_Voyager_(1942_poster).jpg

Great melodrama, a powerful story about mental health (though granted it's not perfect being a 40s movie), and does well in being a film about self-acceptance rather than about "a man", so it's still fairly progressive in today's day and age. Plus you have Bette Davis, Paul Henreid, and Claude Rains, which...well, that should sell you right there.

Mildred_Pierce_(1945_poster).jpg

Didn't mean to have Bette and Joan next to each other, but I guess that's symbolic. And yeah, most people here are probably familiar with the HBO series with Kate Winslet, but this is also great. Just a wonderful, but sad story about a mother trying her best to start a new life, even though everybody, even her own daughter, hates her. and yeah, Joan Crawford is amazing here, but you already know that I bet. :lol: Oh, and this is by Michael Curtiz.

Possessed47Poster.jpg

Like Now Voyager, it's not perfect when it comes to mental health, and it's a bit paper-thin, but Joan Crawford is just amazing and is the reason to watch this. Her and Davis were incredible at taking basic characters and giving them life and personality and a sense they are three-dimensional beings in a way you don't see with even today's best actors...apart from Timothee of course. Do give this a watch if you have room in your WB marathon schedule.

romance-on-the-high-seas-4a_34253_2372_l

Yeah, it's Michael Curtiz yet again, but this is probably what really makes him shine in taking standard scripts and giving them flair and personality. This is a typical screwball romcom set-up involving a couple who thinks one and the other is cheating, a  beautiful blonde and a private eye are involved, and it's all on a cruise ship. If you read the actual synopsis, you can probably guess what will happen. But this one is bouncy, breezy, and legit funny. There's also some fun songs, great production values, and an insane final shot that is still in my mind.

This was also my introduction to Doris Day (and this is her first movie) and...yeah, I get why Warner liked doing stuff with her. Her screen presence and talents are insane and she carries the screen hard in every scene. She does a lot of other good films, and this is where it all started. A fantastic introduction.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Count Eric said:

Cried twice. John Williams man. This is easily his best score.

I should rewatch this soon. The first two Superman movies were probably my most watched superhero movies as a kid (Spiderman 2 tied along with them) and I haven't revisted them in 12+ years.

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I should rewatch this soon. The first two Superman movies were probably my most watched superhero movies as a kid (Spiderman 2 tied along with them) and I haven't revisted them in 12+ years.

I was the same, watched the Reeves films like crazy as a kid then never again for 10-12 years. Rewatched them a couple years ago and 1 esp holds up insanely well. I'd argue it's still one of the all timer CBMs, up there with Batman Returns and Spiderman 2.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Can only count on one hand other CBMs that are as good as this (excluding stuff like The Incredibles or Unbreakable because that doesn't really count). I'm not one of those "movies aren't sincere anymore" people, but it's so refreshing to watch a movie that promotes the ideals of heroism and the importance of superhero figures without any irony or deconstruction or realism. It's a movie that symbolizes what we could be as a society and as people. To give kindness and hope and something to believe in. Christopher Reeve is also very, very dreamy.

I really hope James Gunn understands all of this, even though I know his film won't be anywhere close to being as good as this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Count Eric said:

I have seen it. It's very, very, very good.

I admit I missed your posting of the poster.

"White Heat" must have been shocking to see in 1948; it was the first time a movie had a truly psychotic killer as a main charecter.

Yes, you had a couple of Jack the ripper films, but nothing like this. The bit with Cagney calmly eating a Chicken Drumstick while shooting the guy in the trunk must have been shocking.

And of course the final scene has become iconis;

"Top of the world Ma1Top of the world".

• Like 2