interiorgatordecorator

Mar 24 - 26 weekend thread - John Wick ̶3̶ 4 opens - woke up to a 5.9 monday | Jonathan is in Majors trouble | Shazam 2 crushed the Ant |

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2500036097/weekend/?ref_=bo_rl_tab#tabs

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3372254721/weekend/?ref_=bo_rl_tab#tabs

avatar 2 had a higher PTA than maverick last weekend ($1,763 vs $1,594), but it had a 3rd of the theaters 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eric Wick said:

He's still around making videos? Why?

Uh... if I had like 2M active subscribers on YouTube and hundreds of thousands of views per video, I'd definitely be making videos. Not sure what kind of question this is.

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2500036097/weekend/?ref_=bo_rl_tab#tabs

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3372254721/weekend/?ref_=bo_rl_tab#tabs

avatar 2 had a higher PTA than maverick last weekend ($1,763 vs $1,594), but it had a 3rd of the theaters 

That only proves Avatar 2 is more leggier than TGM and is more beloved by the audience.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eric Wick said:

He's still around making videos? Why?

I mean, he’s nowhere near the bottom of the barrel of youtube critics like yms or moviebob - which is like the point of no return

22 hours ago, datpepper said:

I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned here, but unfollow Deadline and Variety on social media if you're avoiding John Wick 4 spoilers. I haven't seen the movie yet myself, but I've been told they apparently are already spoiling the movie in headlines, which is especially bold given that about 95% or so of the people who plan to see this in theaters haven't done so yet.

EDIT: One of them may have re-titled one of the tweets/articles. Still, even the re-wording is kinda spoiler-y.

Add Vulture to the list, hearing they're also spoiling the movie in headlines.

40 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, no way 2x is happening for Shazam. 

It only needs $60.2M for 2x...it will be around $45M after this weekend with a $9M weekend and with the PLF effect fully done (so no big further drop from losing PLFs).

Just like Ant Man 3 is gonna get 2x, but not much higher, Shazam will get enough bump from the 2 April spring break weeks to get there...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It only needs $60.2M for 2x...it will be around $45M after this weekend with a $9M weekend and with the PLF effect fully done (so no big further drop from losing PLFs).

Just like Ant Man 3 is gonna get 2x, but not much higher, Shazam will get enough bump from the 2 April spring break weeks to get there...

9m seems very generous from that Friday. Guess more like 8. And even still, its weekday numbers are gonna be crazy low already. SB would be the one and only reason it hits 2, but I don’t bet on it. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 11:06 AM, vafrow said:

This is what I think as well, with the possibility that the word of mouth really lets it take off to push it over $80M, but that's probably more of an outlier scenario. 

On a different note, if this weekend does about $145M across all films, it should let March 2023 catch 2022 with a few days to spare.

January and February were in far excess of 2022 totals, but March 2022 had the first genuine hit, so, 2023 beating it is impressive. Especially as it's doing so with a diverse slate.

The irony is that next month, the question is whether Mario can lift a pretty weak April calendar over last year.

Barely beating March 2022 doesn't seem impressive. The Batman was the only big release and the only movie from February carrying over into March 2022 making decent money was Uncharted.  Antman dying after opening weekend and Shazam!'s crash and burn really hurt March 2023 box office. 

But Nash Information Systems, operators of the box office database The Numbers, is projecting a monthly domestic total of approximately $800 million in March. While that’s still below what was recorded for the month between 2016-19, it would be a 36% increase from last year’s $588 million March figure, more than half of which was contributed by Warner Bros.’ “The Batman.”

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Going to say Elektra might be the only non-R superhero movie this century S2 sells more tix than (even then, prob not by very much). Could be forgetting something though. 

Would depend on if we're talking about strictly comic book adaptation superhero movies, or superhero movies in general. The latter would get tricky determining what counts and what doesn't.

But if we're talking the former, I think The Spirit is another one.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Going to say Elektra might be the only non-R superhero movie this century S2 sells more tix than (even then, prob not by very much). Could be forgetting something though. 

If we're including pandemic releases, The New Mutants and WW 1984 would be others. But that feels like unfair comparisons.

19 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Jonah Hex?

Yeah I guess that and The Spirit as was mentioned, though I feel like neither should really count bc they are so wildly unconventional for a “superhero” movie. S2 on the other hand is very traditionally in the genre.