interiorgatordecorator

Mar 24 - 26 weekend thread - John Wick ̶3̶ 4 opens - woke up to a 5.9 monday | Jonathan is in Majors trouble | Shazam 2 crushed the Ant |

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Shazams run is so bad that it isnt even funny anymore. Its just sad.

it is. It’s unbelievable. 

A massive failure for WB marketing in particular in my opinion, let alone all the stories around the DC reboot that have dominated before its release. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

it is. It’s unbelievable. 

A massive failure for WB marketing in particular in my opinion, let alone all the stories around the DC reboot that have dominated before its release. 

Whats mind-boggling to me is that Shazam 2 will fail to outgross Morbius of all movies, which already was a flop. Reviews and WOM for Shazam also seem mixed to ok, which is way better than Morbius' meme-bad reception. Goes to show imo, like you said, that this is mainly an epic fail of the marketing.

If not enough people are even aware that your movie is coming out and if the little marketing you do doesnt do a good job as well, youre doomed. Of course, it was always a very tough task to make Shazam 2 - a movie that honestly no one really cares about compared to other SH movies - look like something you cant miss in theaters, but this run is just pathetic.

• Like 3

It’s like Shazam was caught between not appearing grown up enough for the usual comic book crowd, but apparently too old for the family crowd. 

In truth, they marketed it to the teenagers and up when in fact it is a straight up family movie.  Much more so than the first one. 

Watching the trailers is in no way a reflection of the family film it actually is. It feels more like a throwback Disney comedy than anything, and I mean that in a good way. 

• Like 1

The execution for Shazam 2 and Ant-Man 3 are so odd to me. Their predecessors' whole appeal is small-scale, more comedic and family-oriented adventures. But then the sequels try to "epic-ify" them and give them world-ending stakes, which just alienates the fans, confuses newcomers, and then nobody's satisfied or happy. It's so dumb. It's okay to have your silly kids movie be a silly kids movie.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Whats mind-boggling to me is that Shazam 2 will fail to outgross Morbius of all movies, which already was a flop. Reviews and WOM for Shazam also seem mixed to ok, which is way better than Morbius' meme-bad reception. Goes to show imo, like you said, that this is mainly an epic fail of the marketing.

If not enough people are even aware that your movie is coming out and if the little marketing you do doesnt do a good job as well, youre doomed. Of course, it was always a very tough task to make Shazam 2 - a movie that honestly no one really cares about compared to other SH movies - look like something you cant miss in theaters, but this run is just pathetic.

Marketing is always the scapegoat, but if that was the culprit, it would still have decent legs. 

People just seem to be rejecting the entire idea of this movie. To get a better sense of why, we'll need more data from the performance of the next few comic book films to know how much, if any, of the recent trend is genre fatigue or is it just an issue with quality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Morbius wasn't that big of a flop, it's budget was 75~mil so it ended it's world wide total at 2.2 the budget.

Shazam will be lucky to have it's WW gross match it's budget

This is starting to get stupid. The last part about "better movie" is altered as he´s not saying better than John Wick 4 so ignore that but he´s coming of very salty the first 20 seconds... feels like he´s just making stuff worse for himself

21 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Marketing is always the scapegoat, but if that was the culprit, it would still have decent legs. 

People just seem to be rejecting the entire idea of this movie. To get a better sense of why, we'll need more data from the performance of the next few comic book films to know how much, if any, of the recent trend is genre fatigue or is it just an issue with quality.

Every DCEU movie post-Aquaman kinda flopped (even the first Shazam, despite being profitable because of the cheap budget, did poorly for a comic book movie when you compare its numbers with the others in the genre), but there's always an external excuse for their underperformance. No one seems to want to consider that maybe audiences haven't been interested in the Walter Hamada line-up, which consisted of standalone movies with almost no connection and zero build up to a bigger storyline. That never made any sense to me, as I believe the connectivity is the main reason why everyone wanted to see every Marvel movie before the pandemic. Standalone movies work when there's a creative vision behind it, like The Batman and Joker, but not when they're formulaic, predictable, by comittee movies like Shazam 2. It's like WB tried to have a MCU copy but without what makes it special and highlighting its main source of criticism. I think we'll see that more clearly when The Flash does very well, because that movie feels relevant, it connects to past DCEU movies and is speculated to lead up to the future DC universe from James Gunn.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric Wick said:

The execution for Shazam 2 and Ant-Man 3 are so odd to me. Their predecessors' whole appeal is small-scale, more comedic and family-oriented adventures. But then the sequels try to "epic-ify" them and give them world-ending stakes, which just alienates the fans, confuses newcomers, and then nobody's satisfied or happy. It's so dumb. It's okay to have your silly kids movie be a silly kids movie.

Ant Man 3 is absolutely a silly kids movie. 

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

every clip i see of zachary levi on that live he's on the verge of tears. bro knows it's over. nothing but Pureflix from here on out.

Wouldn't go that far. He seems like the kind of guy who will be on a random network drama you've never heard of but lasts 6 seasons or some Amazon show that nobody watches. With the occasional Super Bowl ad where he's forced to play Chuck for nostalgia.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Ant Man 3 is absolutely a silly kids movie. 

I mean...I'm sure it is. It's just that the trailers tried to hype it up as something ultra-dramatic with Kang set to be this super scary baddie you don't want to mess with...when the last Ant-Man movie was about playing hot potato with a shrunken laboratory. Just a real bad case of tonal whiplash. When the last trailer went all dramatic music and teased Ant-Man dying, I had a feeling this movie was in big trouble.