interiorgatordecorator

Mar 24 - 26 weekend thread - John Wick ̶3̶ 4 opens - woke up to a 5.9 monday | Jonathan is in Majors trouble | Shazam 2 crushed the Ant |

13 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

Majors have worked with some of the biggest studios and directors and actors in the game today. I am pretty sure if his behavior was a problem it would be well known. Y'all really need to stop believing everything you read on Twitter. 

How about accepting reality?

14 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Would the Pugh fans want to support the movie directed by Zach Braff? Their split was very amicable and she's had nothing but great things to say about him during the PR tour. She's personally done more to promote A Good Person vs Don't Worry Darling (lol), though the latter obviously got more overall publicity/hype. Anyway, Florence fans really hated her dating Braff and might see going to their movie as "supporting grooming" or whatever (they met when she was in her twenties but online Gen Z is super hung up on "age appropriate" couples). 

I don't disagree that Pugh may just have a big online following who'll post fancams all day but won't buy tickets just for her. Chalamet seems similar to a degree.

maybe. I just think these days we all too easily quantify a big online following as bigger than it actually is. Or at least associate it with the kind of people that would sooner grab a gif from a pirate copy for clicks than actually go to the theatre. 

• Like 1

Shazam is going to end up being the “one of these does not belong” in the category of superhero flops like Morbius and Dark Phoenix.

Honestly. Is it the best movie of the year? Heck no. But this was ENTIRELY WB’s fault, not Sandberg and co. making a bad movie or anything like that. It’s genuinely a lot of fun.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

A bit surprised that Scream VI ended up dropping -50% this weekend. It's so good, I hope it can still hit a $110-115m domestic gross.

Scream also has a very dedicated fanbase that will fuel the frontloaded nature of the run, no matter the good WOM. I think we can expect better drops from the 4th weekend onwards, if Scream doesnt loose theaters too fast.

Extremely good opening for John Wick both DOM, but especially Worldwide. This international growth is excellent.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Honestly. Is it the best movie of the year? Heck no. But this was ENTIRELY WB’s fault, not Sandberg and co. making a bad movie or anything like that. It’s genuinely a lot of fun.

What WB could've done here outside of not making this movie at all to avoid flop?

Edited by Firepower

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

-52% for Scream VI in the face of fellow R rated John Wick 4 doing $73.5m is not bad at all. 

And easily outgrossing the prior installment is always an automatic win, even if it falls of a cliff after this weekend (which i dont belive like i said).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Shazam is going to end up being the “one of these does not belong” in the category of superhero flops like Morbius and Dark Phoenix.

See, I prefer Dark Phoenix. It still has some McAvoy and Fassbender goodness, and while the script is meh and obviously nowhere near what you want for this story, I still found it better than Shazam's. Also, there isn't anyone outright atrocious acting-wise in it (bad at times, but nothing as truly horrid as Lucy Liu), and the biggest difference is that n one in Dark Phoenix is as gratingly annoying as Levy and Grazer. For me Dark Phoenix doesn't belong with the other two, since it's not very far off from Apocalypse (itself a mediocre entry) but obviously suffered from its predecessor's reception and the "dead end" situation that the DCEU also finds itself in.

I don't think Shazam is unwatchable, but I'm also puzzled at Sandberg being taken aback by the reception. It's not a good movie.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Scream and Creed need to stabilize soon. They haven't had a good drop yet.

Lmao at Shazam.

I think CREED III has been holding pretty well especially considering the competition.

CREED (had a 5-day OW)

49.4% weekend 2

32.5% weekend 3

50.5% weekend 4

CREED II (had a 5-day OW)

53.2% weekend 2

40.0% weekend 3

46.0% weekend 4

CREED III

53.3% weekend 2

43.6% weekend 3

45.6% weekend 4 (estimate)

44 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Awful. All I see on social media is Florence Pugh’s name up in lights and trending. Yet those ‘fans’ clearly don’t translate into ticket buyers - or more likely translate to a few hundred thousand fan accounts for clicks. 

This is another case when social media popularity doesn't translate into good box office.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

So a definite 2nd place...while bad, that's good b/c it's likely to survive the next few weekends and get the full Easter break run...especially since one of the movies likely to have been held over it (Creed 3) just blew up...