interiorgatordecorator

Mar 24 - 26 weekend thread - John Wick ̶3̶ 4 opens - woke up to a 5.9 monday | Jonathan is in Majors trouble | Shazam 2 crushed the Ant |

Color me cynical about this being the end of Majors' career honestly. Ben Affleck admitted to groping, dude's still making a bunch of movies. Ansel Elgort was accused of sexual assault. etc Should this be the end of his career? If found guilty yeah absolutely. Will it? Honestly I don't think so. 

EDIT: That's not even getting into the stuff with Brolin. 

Edited by Mulder

8 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

eh, ezra's crime spree happened after The Flash was already in the can so don't get the comparison. he's not gonna be asked back for the new DC stuff. maybe if the flash makes 2 billion dollars and he wins an academy award for playing 2 flashes he might be asked back.

The first choking incident on camera was before they started shooting The Flash but WB and Ezra just ignored it.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I’d never seen a star rise as fast as Majors’ and now I guess I can add ‘and fall’ to that. 

People's memories are bad. If he manages to resolve this quickly... no impact to his career IMO.

Not defending him at all, i don't stand for such actions (if true)

but let's see.

4 hours ago, Xavier said:

Lol at that title: https://www.cinemablend.com/movies/creed-iii-trainer-explains-why-jonathan-majors-and-michael-b-jordans-training-was-like-being-in-prison

And on his page in Wikipedia:”Majors had a difficult childhood, growing up with recently-released criminals such as drug dealers or murderers for neighbors who wore ankle monitors.[7] As a teenager, Majors faced numerous struggles: he was arrested for shoplifting, suspended from high school for getting into a fight and at one point he lived in his car while working two jobs to make ends meet[4] after being kicked out of his house.[7]

Well…

already many allegations are dropping against him in twitter unless he is proven innocent in court with proof it's career is done ! worst thing is wiki says he got a daughter and her future can be damaged to both financially and mentally !  

2 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Yeah but not on a box office site in the weekend thread. We are here to talk about box office primarily so you don’t need to virtue signal.

Mod here.

Off-topic discussions happen in weekend threads, and is encouraged when there is nothing to talk about. And frankly, this Majors stuff is far more important than how much money a corporate product made. This is another tragic case of toxic masculinity, mental health issues, and the abuse and trauma women are forced to face every day. These are the more important conversations to have, even if they can be tough. Frankly, it's kind of frustrating this forum's main focus on the Majors stuff is "OH NOES WHAT ABOUT MARVEL" or "HAHAHAHA MULTIVERSE SAGA IS CURSED LOL". Like...these silly superhero movies should not be your priority (yes, I know this is a movie/box office forum. I don't care).

Besides, by tomorrow morning, we will go back to talking about the box office when the weekend estimates come in. We'll all go crazy for John Wick's opening, we'll laugh at Shazam, and everything will be back to the way it was. Just be patient.

• Like 1
  • Heart 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Color me cynical about this being the end of Majors' career honestly. Ben Affleck admitted to groping, dude's still making a bunch of movies. Ansel Elgort was accused of sexual assault. etc Should this be the end of his career? If found guilty yeah absolutely. Will it? Honestly I don't think so. 

The difference is that all those guys are white.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

26 minutes ago, Eric Wick said:

I think there's a big difference in terms of things happening in a relatively public venue as well.

NFL players, black and white alike have been abusive and gotten away with it. Ray Rice however did it in public with camera footage and that was indeed the end of his career overnight.

It is hard to balance the rights involved in assumption of legal innocence alongside the court of public opinion and casual knowledge of people and things that - as are being claimed in quarters here - "everyone already knows what they are like".

The biggest issue here is that the person who has been harmed is okay, whether they and/or others have been subject to a pattern of abuse, and how to make that right as best as possible.

I dearly hope that this isn't the start of the pathway we saw 30 years ago where the dynamic turns into "People X (wrongly) get away with this so why shouldn't People Y (wrongly) get away with it too." .....It's always wrong for privileged and powerful people to get away with things because they're privileged, no matter whence that privilege or power comes.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Eric Wick said:

Ansel Elgort is practically a nobody, Armie Hammer is destroyed and ditto for even heavier (also: unproven) cases like Woody Allen. Ben Affleck's case is different. The fact that there are more white guys in the news regarding those allegations is related to the unfortunate fact that there are more white than black men in that business anyway. I don't think that in the Me Too era any abuser is safe, no matter his colour or race. 

Specifically about Majors, his background and, sorry to say, his general demeanour, deem such allegations believable, but of course, innocent until proven guilty etc. Meteoric rises are often followed by meteoric falls from grace.

7 minutes ago, Firepower said:

With 26 mln saturday, what kind of weekend Wick is looking at?

More importantly, is 26 considered a good increase? True Friday was something like 21 mil, right?

I should also point out that Shazam's drops are so bad that 75 mil basically means I've lost the club without Wick 4 doing 80 mil.

Edited by MightyDargon

1 hour ago, Eric Wick said:

It depends on the allegations. Gibson, Spacey and even Depp have no careers going. They do nothing in Hollywood.

I do think Majors will be a more similar case as Ansel Elgort.

Affleck, Brolin and Renner are very old stories and they have cleaned their names/apologised since. If those things happened today it would be different for them. 

Not everything is about race.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

don't suppose its race thing. kevin spacey career is dead.

Justin Roiland was fired from all his shows (although further complicated since he was a likely groomer)

Armie Hammer is totalled and has to work in a hotel somewhere

Louis CK still gets booked AS A COMEDIAN but as a Hollywood actor is pretty much wrecked

And if you REALLY want to "go there" Chris Brown still has a music career

4 hours ago, Mulder said:

You missed a key difference between him and those examples also throwing Casey Affleck and Ezra Miller in the mix too. Or hell, even Will Smith and Brad Pitt. You can get away with it if you’re white, not so such much if you’re black.

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I believe the victim without evidence when the accused has a history of violence or SA.

I've actually seen people lie about domestic violence out of spite.

I’ve known people to lie about it too but that said it’s a very small minority of cases. Still I’d rather side with a potential liar before a potential abuser.

Edited by YM!

6 minutes ago, YM! said:

You missed a key difference between him and those examples also throwing Casey Affleck and Ezra Miller in the mix too. Or hell, even Will Smith and Brad Pitt. You can get away with it if you’re white, not so such much if you’re black.

This is...rich after Cosby got his conviction revoked by the PA Supreme Court.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

I do think Majors will be a more similar case as Ansel Elgort.

Pretty sure Elgort hasn't booked any gigs since West Side Story (which was made almost 4 years ago and a year before his Twitter accusations) so not sure where this comparison comes into play unless it's to say Majors will have no work going forward at least for a while (even if his name is eventually cleared, Disney/Marvel will likely just move on and recast to avoid headlines since it's unlikely they'll put their projects already dated on hold for it). Won't say the concepts of "innocent until proven guilty" and "due process" are largely dead in the social media era, but won't claim that they aren't either. It's just a different time we live in.

Have no comment on the whole Majors situation until all the facts come out, other than 1) this just makes me sad and hopefully the woman is okay and 2) not gonna give the time of day to all these folks going around on Twitter claiming stuff along the lines of "I always knew and tried to warn all of you"...uh huh, yeah, where are those receipts? Take a seat and say nothing because it's just coming across as blatant opportunism using scandal for self-promotion.

• Like 1