CJohn

Weekend Estimates (THG - 21.5M; T3S - 17.1M; CitW - 14.9M)

In another note, congrats are in order for Journey 2, a film I'm sure many of us expected to be a bomb but instead ended up being a surprise. So, wow, Journey 2, Safe House, AND The Vow; their respective success was just as important to the good turn this year has taken as Hunger Games has proven to be.In fact, this is up to our history aficionados but when was the last time we had a single weekend with three $100M+ grossers?

In another note, congrats are in order for Journey 2, a film I'm sure many of us expected to be a bomb but instead ended up being a surprise. So, wow, Journey 2, Safe House, AND The Vow; their respective success was just as important to the good turn this year has taken as Hunger Games has proven to be.In fact, this is up to our history aficionados but when was the last time we had a single weekend with three $100M+ grossers?

I think it was the first time ever.

Oh, wait, actually happened this past winter...technically. Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol, Sherlock 2, and Alvin 3 did come out the same weekend even though MIGP was a delayed release. And December 2009 Alvin 2, Sherlock, and It's Complicated all did, not to mention that Sherlock and Alvin 2 both went over $200M. However, Alvin 2 came out on the 23rd and the other two on Christmas.If you wanted to be even more loose with the definition, back in December 2004 Lemony Snicket, The Aviator, and Million Dollar Baby came out the December 17th weekend, although MDB came out two days earlier on the 15th.

Great hold for THG. Called it as dropping in the 30-35% range this weekend. 400 remains a slight possibility, and DH2 is definitely going down now barring it doesn't collapse after this weekend or something. And awesome that Cabin managed a Sat increase since horror movies almost never do that! Awful WOM my ass!Congrats to Journey as well, another $100m in the bag for 2012. Although its results this weekend do look a bit Peurto Rico...

Edited by MovieMan89

Yeah, congrats to Journey for reaching $100m, congrats to Titanic for reaching $2b. It's looking like a decent OW for CITW and I'm stoked THG is going to do over $20m this weekend and hitting 4 weeks at number 1!

I see Disney still determined to track JC. Not sure why they just don't put it out of its misery, still can't manage a sub 55% drop and I don't think it will break 70m. I also just realized Journey 2 even grossed more OS than it! :lol: $270m WW after $350m spent in budget and marketing. Good lord, that has got to be the most a studio has ever lost on a film by far.

Edited by MovieMan89

Looks so good:

1 Avatar Fox $2,782.3 $760.5 27.3% $2,021.8 72.7% 2009^ 2 Titanic Par. $2,034.0 $645.2 31.7% $1,388.8 68.3% 1997^

Things went back what they used to be. Cameron shares the league with nobody. It used to be the one billion league, now it's two billion. B)

Let's see if this time it takes 5 years for another one to join this league.

Edited by vc2002

I see Disney still determined to track JC. Not sure why they just don't put it out of its misery, still can't manage a sub 55% drop and I don't think it will break 70m. I also just realized Journey 2 even grossed more OS than it! :lol: $270m WW after $350m spent in budget and marketing. Good lord, that has got to be the most a studio has ever lost on a film by far.

Not sure about that. Edited by redfirebird2008

Not sure about that.

Well didn't this need roughly $700m WW to break even? I thought a film has to double its production and marketing cost to break even. If that's the case, Disney lost nearly $400m on this. I can't imagine there being any other film with anywhere close to those losses.

It didn't even cost $400m to produce and market, so how they could they possibly lose that much on it? The loss is probably more in the $150-200m range, which is still huge.

Because, I've always been told a movie has to double its budget WW to breakeven. If that's the case JC needed 700m, it fell over 400m short of that. Edited by MovieMan89