Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 03/31-04/02 | #FRI - D&D $15.3M, JW4 $7.9M, HOS - $2.1M, Scream VI $1.55M, Creed III $1.4M, Shazam $1.2M &1001 $700K

8 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Expected previews mostly. 40-45 imo.   

JW seems unlikely to pass QM now

Not sure about 60 for Shazam — could it be the movie that dethrones BvS legs instead of QM ☠️

Shazam will lose more screens next week than Quantumania did thanks to Mario's arrival. Not sure whether it'll be enough to undershoot BvS.

2 minutes ago, Ken said:

Now that this is out: can we still expect Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K., ROM, and Action Man?

No because absolutely no one under the age 40 knows what the hell those things are. D&D has been relevant forever (although "geeky").

19 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I badly want a sequel. What worldwide number assures that?

I think Paramount is really eager for this to be an ongoing franchise. Apparently, a streaming series spin off was already announced.

I haven't seen the film, so don't know what a possible sequel would be, but, if there's a feeling that they can reuse enough sets, find some efficiencies, they may be happy to announce a sequel even if the numbers aren't great. If the product is good, they know many people will discover it on streaming, and the audience can build.

We've seen franchises like Wick and Creed grow with time.

From Paramounts perspective, they don't have a lot of other franchises to invest in. There's only so many movies that Cruise can make. Sonic is already full steam ahead. Star Trek seems like its stuck. Transformers is uncertain until we see how Rise of the Beasts performs.

If not this, they likely need to think about launching something else new, and, given how this turned out great quality wise, it's hard to have faith that a new venture will be any better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

The pessimists in this thread are wild to me, but maybe I'm off base idk. From the moment this was announced until about three weeks ago, this was universally considered another King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword or Robin Hood 2018 obvious fantasy flop. If you had told me it would open to $25 million on February 1st, I personally would have been blown away. So $40 million/120 total would be outstanding to me. Heading towards more OW than I thought it would do total a month ago.

It’s not really pessimistic, we just all know the production budget alone was $151m. 

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

I badly want a sequel. What worldwide number assures that?

$350m? 

Excellent Thursday hold for Scream VI (-3%). Yay. 

• Like 2

I think DnD needs to be its own thing rather than trying to do a Hasbroverse. Magic: The Gathering as a serious fantasy film would work better in order to ensure it doesn't look like  a rip off of DnD. 

I would imagine a Power Rangers reboot is high up on Paramount and Hasbro's agenda, 

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

The pessimists in this thread are wild to me, but maybe I'm off base idk. From the moment this was announced until about three weeks ago, this was universally considered another King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword or Robin Hood 2018 obvious fantasy flop. If you had told me it would open to $25 million on February 1st, I personally would have been blown away. So $40 million/120 total would be outstanding to me. Heading towards more OW than I thought it would do total a month ago.

So this is the 2023 version of the Legend of Tarzan? That was my perception of the film's run at the time. 

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Legend-of-Tarzan-The#tab=summary

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

1 minute ago, AGlitchGnome said:

If done right, this seems like a good way to cash in on lots of nostalgia $$$

Nah Power Rangers is one of those things you like as a kid but think is stupid as an adult so there is not much nostalgia outside of maybe the theme song and how hot the Pink Ranger was 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Worldwide numbers will mean slightly less for the prospects of a sequel if it can break out domestic. I'd argue that anything nearing Uncharted's gross from last year would make Paramount bullish on a sequel (still don't know why Uncharted sequel isn't getting fast-tracked). 

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Worldwide numbers will mean slightly less for the prospects of a sequel if it can break out domestic. I'd argue that anything nearing Uncharted's gross from last year would make Paramount bullish on a sequel (still don't know why Uncharted sequel isn't getting fast-tracked). 

I think the challenge Sony had with that is they've now built up so much around Tom Holland as a star, that when he's busy, it means you can't move a lot of projects through.

I think he took a step back last year after a torrid pace. Between Uncharted and Spiderman roles, he's been on an unrelenting pace of filming and promoting blockbuster films.

Sony hitched their wagon to him, but I'm guessing the priority is another Spiderman film first, and I don't think Uncharted is a sequel people will be too patient on. If it sits too long, it'll fade from memory quickly.

Pine might end up being a pretty brilliant casting choice. Famous enough to lead a franchise, but not someone that has a lot of other high profile commitments. If Paramount wants, they can probably get a sequel out quickly. Michelle Rodriguez might be the hardest to schedule with the Fast franchise, but, hardly seems like it's a showstopper.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Because Holland is not real star, he doesn't have a single movie where he carries it without help of other big stars, usually in dady figure roles.

Lol I mean...  I thought Chris Pine was popular-ish and it has the dude from Bridgerton everyone wants to be Bond and Michelle Rodriguez. DnD also has a larger budget, more aggressive marketing, pre-pre-screenings to pad the preview numbers, way better reviews and may still not outdo the actual OW or international numbers for Uncharted in the end so... not sure what the point here is? 

26 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Because of Tom's schedule most likely. The Sony/Marvel machine's had him in the grinder for years and he's famously had to reject other roles for it. He sounded burnt out by the physicality of both roles and said he was taking a break and going to do other things for a while so I don't see a sequel for Spider-man or Uncharted getting into production before 2024 earliest. 

Edited by thedast

Holland has barely had time to do anything else other than Spider-Man, it was a miracle that he was able to do Uncharted and Cherry. 

I personally think he should go back to his theatre roots and do a play, he would sell out a run in the West End or Broadway although TBH I'm not sure what role would suit him. 

2 hours ago, GOGODanca said:
(-) Everything Everywhere All… A24 $39,076 -19% -58% 607 $64 $76,852,389 371

Man Oscars really mean nothing nowadays

Since 2000, no any other best picture nominees or winners received this level of bump if they were released before fall season. 

Not to mention the substantial overseas bump. EEAAO added at least $20m in overseas market since Oscar nomination. 

Edited by titanic2187