Eric S'ennui

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

5 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

If Mario does open $200M+ TGM and Avatar might be going down 

It has strong enough WOM for 3.5x Multi and no genre competition until June 

3.5 multi coming off a 5-day with no summer weekdays or christmas holidays would be insane. So perhaps chill just a little.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

At the most it’s doing $600m lol

My only concern with Charlie's massive upper end is that the film actually plays like a Good Friday opener instead of a "regular" weekend.... Saturday at best will historically speaking be flat but more than likely down from Friday. Sunday is a wildcard since its a family film. 

This is the fun of box office 😂 20 years in and we still can't always know exactly what will happen. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Mario is shaping up to be a really fun run to follow. Should it come close to 200M 5-Day, Incredibles 2 is in incredible danger imo.

16 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

no competition is a thing, but considering the fan rush, I cant see how it does much better than despicable me 2's 2.57, and there's still lots of questions about the appeal the movie has for people who arent big Mario fans

if it does 200 million, the best scenario is  550

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 minute ago, Reddroast said:

So im watching reviews of the Mario movie on youtube and the more I watch the more offensive I realise grace's review was. And that makes me sad as I loved her older content

this isnt a video game forum, we dont have to play the "bad review = offended" game

• Haha 1

Mario Bros got a hugely positive reaction at my showing. The showing sold out, and got a lot of laughs. Really charming film, idk how people who aren’t video game (more specifically Mario/Nintendo fans) will like it but if you’ve ever played a Mario game or two it seems the movie really delivers on what counts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Biggest thing that ruined Detective Pikachu ultimately was it's placement releasing the week after the biggest movie of all time, Endgame came out. That was a very dumb thing to do by WB. I am convinced if they would have released it literally anywhere else it would have worked.

No one expected Endgame to be as massive as it was, especially the second weekend.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

no competition is a thing, but considering the fan rush, I cant see how it does much better than despicable me 2's 2.57, and there's still lots of questions about the appeal the movie has for people who arent big Mario fans

if it does 200 million, the best scenario is  550

If it does 200m then 600m is on the table. It may not be likely but 550m would be far from the best case.

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

this isnt a video game forum, we dont have to play the "bad review = offended" game

Oh no. Germian from gizmodo didn't like the film but at least he was fair. Grace says some borderline rascist stuff in hers

13 minutes ago, narniadis said:

My only concern with Charlie's massive upper end is that the film actually plays like a Good Friday opener instead of a "regular" weekend.... Saturday at best will historically speaking be flat but more than likely down from Friday. Sunday is a wildcard since its a family film. 

This is the fun of box office 😂 20 years in and we still can't always know exactly what will happen. 

I've been using Sonic as a comp. It's flawed obviously but I think coming out one week before Easter and it also being a video game film provides a pretty good base. It's still possible that Saturday could see a small 5% increase. 

Just now, Reddroast said:

Oh no. Germian from gizmodo didn't like the film but at least he was fair. Grace says some borderline rascist stuff in hers

oh thought you were talking about the "worst illumination movie thingy"

carry on, citizen

• Founder / Operator
1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Interesting proposition. 🤔 

But I don't see Universal coming close to the same financial windfall as Disney. 

Disney had a ton of Marvel characters, a ton of successful Pixar franchises and a ton of animation classics to remake, then they had Star Wars too.

These movies dominated the top 20 worldwide.

Universal has Jurassic Park and Fast and Furious which are on a downward trajectory. And Minions along with Nintendo Cinematic Universe. But not much of this stuff is crossing 1 billion at this point.

TL;DR

Universal has long way to go to match peak Disney.

All great points. I think my tongue-in-cheek comparison was more about the intangibles, though. I feel Universal is well positioned to emerge with a fantastic decade when all is said and done.

Whether or not the box office matches Disney dollar for dollar or franchise for franchise is a specific comparison point that isn't quite what I mean to reference (except Pixar v Illumination). I'm not sure any studio can match what Disney did in the '10s anytime soon.

That said, on the whole, I can't think of any studio better positioned for consistent mainstream success on both artistic and commercial terms based on Uni's recent history.

In other words, if each decade has a studio that just has some indefinable "it" factor, I feel Universal is best positioned right now to claim it for the '20s more than any other.

(Though, Paramount and Sony would be sneaky and justifiable candidates to pick as well.)

• Like 1