BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

Honestly think people are jumping the gun with all this videogame adaption talk.

Mario is Mario, one of the oldest and most popular videohame characters ever. Kids love him, and adults do too, even 50 year olds probably grew up with Mario when they were teens.

I dont think Mario's success is proof of anything. Mario's universe is made for animation, and animation was a sure fie hit genre along with Marvel, pre pandemic days anyway.

I cant think of many other videogame franchises that would come close to what Mario is doing. Zelda wouldnt come close, although it would IMO be the closest out of Nintendo's IP's (Metroid would do nothing imo).

Just look at Sonic and how popular Sonic is, just did solid at the box office and Sonic himself is way more known than most vdeogame ip's.

Mario's success isnt a start of anything imo. In fact even a Mario sequel probably wont come that close to what Mario ends up maiking domestic and worldwide.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 2

7 minutes ago, Whydidyoudoit said:

An animated Zelda movie would mean Nintendo didn't understand the lessons of Mario's success and Pikachu's flop: You have to be loyal to the source material. 

Zelda is closer to The Last of Us than to Mario, to give an example. You can see why asking for a The Last of Us animated show would be absurd. 

The most successful Zelda game to date is actually very cartoonu with a unique anime style

1 hour ago, XXR Metro Boomin said:

TLK 19' WW isn't happening. I think surpassing Minions for the Illumination record is a great target. 

With the 16% international drop this weekend, Minions is definitely going down 100%.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Whydidyoudoit said:

An animated Zelda movie would mean Nintendo didn't understand the lessons of Mario's success and Pikachu's flop: You have to be loyal to the source material. 

Zelda is closer to The Last of Us than to Mario, to give an example. You can see why asking for a The Last of Us animated show would be absurd. 

I get the point you’re making - Zelda isn’t as silly as Mario - but boy do I not agree with that example. An animated PG-rated movie could perfectly represent the Zelda games. They’re still super family-friendly.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kon said:

Exactly. That makes more complicated to adapt Zelda.

Many Zelda fans wouldn't be happy with a "just fun time" movie.

The real key to pulling it off is making Link work. It’s fine to have a generic “journeyman” trope as a film protagonist, but you can’t have a film protagonist that’s a literal blank slate like Link in the games. So if they can crack making Link a movie character without also making it feel weird to fans, then they have a huge hit on their hands. 

• Like 1

As far as staying true to the source material with the film medium: you can make a valid argument either way for Zelda. If they want to adapt a game like Wind Waker or even BOTW/TOTK, go with animation. If they want to pull more from OOT or TP, live action is the way to go. 

Though personally I would be disappointed with any animated Wind Waker that isn’t a Miyazaki film, which will never happen, so I vote live action. 

Mario is still going bananas but the rest of the market isn't feeling the effects. Terrible holds for JW4, DnD and Air. Poor starts for Pope's Exorcist (with the 18M budget it is still gonna end up as a win which Sony badly needed after 65 sunk and with Love Again about to flop as well) and Renfield (65M budget Renfield mega bomb Universal is dead).

No weekend estimate for Suzume? Are they gonna give a number tomorrow?

• Like 1

This is the first weekend in a long time where I've thought there were maybe too many new releases? None of them truly broke out and the space they took up crowded out the non-Mario holdovers. The Pope's Exorcist did the best and might have performed slightly better without Renfield as direct competition. They aren't the same but have overlapping appeal.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jedijake said:

So, based off of SMB's success, Zelda movie will be animated. Say goodbye to a Zelda live-action movie?

good, even with marios success I doubt anyone was willing to put up the 200 million needed to make it look natural

Zelda would work better as a live action film IMO Animated would constraint it a little.

Mario is doing amazing business but I'm hesitant that other games adaptation would receive anywhere near the same success,  Metroid is great but it is not anywhere near as iconic as Mario and likewise with Kirby, Splatoon etc and none of those games sell nearly as well.

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, DisposedData said:

The most successful Zelda game to date is actually very cartoonu with a unique anime style

I don’t know if I would call BOTW “cartoony” necessarily, but yeah the art style is more stylized than realistic. You can probably take it and make it work well with animation or live action. Wind Waker on the other hand is a straight up Ghibli film. 

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Zelda would work better as a live action film IMO Animated would constraint it a little.

Mario is doing amazing business but I'm hesitant that other games adaptation would receive anywhere near the same success,  Metroid is great but it is not anywhere near as iconic as Mario and likewise with Kirby, Splatoon etc and none of those games sell nearly as well.

Animal Crossing as a quality animated tv show would be massive imo. Especially since that franchise is so rich in characters. 

Kirby can be a big animated film, but maybe like 200/600, def not Mario numbers. DK will work great as animation, slightly more gross potential. Lots of room for successful Luigi’s Mansion animated spin offs as well. Already discussed my thoughts on Zelda.

Everything else Nintendo is a much riskier adaptation.  

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

As far as staying true to the source material with the film medium: you can make a valid argument either way for Zelda. If they want to adapt a game like Wind Waker or even BOTW/TOTK, go with animation. If they want to pull more from OOT or TP, live action is the way to go. 

Though personally I would be disappointed with any animated Wind Waker that isn’t a Miyazaki film, which will never happen, so I vote live action. 

I'm kinda torn. On the one hand, I'd love to see an eventual Nintendo Cinematic Universe come together. A Super Smash Bros type movie could be huge. On the other hand, I think live action would suit Zelda better. A Lord of the Rings style Zelda epic could be incredible. Live action would also suit Metroid better as well imo.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 2