BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

18 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think this summer is a "wild card summer" where nothing is a lock for 300m but several movies have break out potential.

And the thing there's typically at least one of two break outs so it should be quite the roller coaster.

I think it's going to be between The Flash and Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part I for the crown. Almost by default.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I think they're changing their release window starting with this.

If so, they need to. The “wait for Disney+” incentive became too strong and helped - along with weaker WOM - to cut down on legs after first 2-3 weeks

Want to see AMWQ before Guardians? They you gotta pay for it, and not as part of a subscription that already offers non-theatrical content regularly 

• Like 3

90 will be tough, but I have faith with that Friday. Either way, this movie clearly is having the fantastic legs you would expect for great WOM and for animation. Once again, no way I can see it missing 600. 90+ would still leave 700 on the table. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, YM! said:

Wish and Elio are the rebound. Assuming both KFP4 and Trolls 3 move and long windows to force families out.

Thinking 45/70/200/550 for Wish and 65/250/600 for Elio.

But since Disney has put together a string of subpar opens, why would the other animateds move?  Many have done better in the 2020s, at least by value...

I don't see Trolls 3 moving...it, as a series movies, has nothing to gain by letting its product "go stale" by lengthening the time from its sequel...and I doubt it cost much to make...

12 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

SHAZAM! FURY OF THE GODS

budget: 125M

domestic: 60M

overseas: 75M

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES

budget: 150M

domestic: 90M

overseas: 100M*

*some markets have just opened and still to open

There's plenty of flop to go aroind

Just now, upriser7 said:

looks like this might be a bit of a disappointing weekend...it's really disheartening to see poor holds from D&D. 

I'll probably be disheartened after seeing it Tuesday, but it's like Shazam 2 - it also deserved better, and didn't get it.  And that happens more and more post-Covid...

Both movies never offered the GA a cheaper way to see it (ala TMobile, which did pump the movies that didn't "lose" March), and both probably had a lot of fence sitters who would have seen it cheaper, but not for $15-$20 each, when they already had Mario planned...