BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

3 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Can't say I'm surprised.

Seem to recall the 2013 remake wasn't that well-liked and plummeted in its second weekend?

Age-old rule of the new film paying for the sins of the last film.

The 2013 film is quite good I think. It was just not the movie that it was marketed to be. I remember being very disappointed the first time I watched it, but really enjoyed it upon watching it again.

• Like 1

I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things since it's still going to be super profitable, but it is a bit of a bummer that Wick 4's looking to only finish just slightly ahead of Parabellum. Would have really loved to see it cross 200M and maybe even get ahead of Quantumania. It is what it is I guess.

Great holds for Mario and Air though. The latter is one my mom specifically asked for me to take her to, and I'm very excited for tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Count Eric said:

I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things since it's still going to be super profitable, but it is a bit of a bummer that Wick 4's looking to only finish just slightly ahead of Parabellum. Would have really loved to see it cross 200M and maybe even get ahead of Quantumania. It is what it is I guess.

Great holds for Mario and Air though. The latter is one my mom specifically asked for me to take her to, and I'm very excited for tomorrow.

should have released in October. Lost PLF screens right away and showtimes rapidly 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't know why people think Elemental will flop, it looks good and I think it'll help Pixar regain its status as one of the top animation studios even though some on here are hoping for its demise.

It's not a nostalgic toy commerical. It is a toy commercial, but it isn't based off an established property, and auds don't like that. I know some don't like me saying this stuff, but...that's just how things are now. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Strange World, Amsterdam, Lightyear, Devotion, and Babylon are the biggest money losers of 2022

https://deadline.com/2023/04/biggest-box-office-bombs-2022-lowest-grossing-movies-1235325138/

Why is Strange World's theatrical profit listed as $80 million even though it grossed only $73.5 million worldwide? For comparison, Lightyear had a theatrical profit of $112 million with a $226 million worldwide gross.

Hoping Mario can get at least a $73.15m or higher weekend, to get that under 50% drop.

I really want it to reach $500m DOM and $1 Billion. 2023 is in real danger of not having a 1B movie if Mario doesn't hit it.

10 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Why is Strange World's theatrical profit listed as $80 million even though it grossed only $73.5 million worldwide? For comparison, Lightyear had a theatrical profit of $112 million with a $226 million worldwide gross.

looks like a mistake and the movie lost more like $200 million to me. The theatrical revenue should be more like sub $40 million. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Hoping Mario can get at least a $73.15m or higher weekend, to get that under 50% drop.

I really want it to reach $500m DOM and $1 Billion. 2023 is in real danger of not having a 1B movie if Mario doesn't hit it.

it’ll hit a billion comfortably. 

12 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

It would take one catastrophic collapse to not hit $1 billion at this point.

Renfield and The Pope's Exorcist with very similar openings is not something I expected about a week ago. Chris Pratt conquering the box office for six weeks straight is looking more likely to happen than not with how quiet the rest of April is looking to be.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Strange World, Amsterdam, Lightyear, Devotion, and Babylon are the biggest money losers of 2022

https://deadline.com/2023/04/biggest-box-office-bombs-2022-lowest-grossing-movies-1235325138/

Disney pretty much let STRANGE WORLD die and it still cost $90m to market and distribute. That shows you have expensive it is just to get movies into cinemas nowadays, never mind the production costs.

I wonder if BARBIE will make back that $195m Margot Robbie lost for the studios last year! 😱

35 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I don't see how Mario misses $1B from this point on

$1.2B would be my guess 

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Renfield and The Pope's Exorcist with very similar openings is not something I expected about a week ago. Chris Pratt conquering the box office for six weeks straight is looking more likely to happen than not with how quiet the rest of April is looking to be.

Reviews plummeted for Renfield. It needed to keep that high level on RT until OW. Instead it even went rotten for a few hours.