Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

And even then most seasons had chunks where it felt like they had to invent and pad complications to sustain 24 full episodes.

TBH 24's padding was never an issue for me, I was always amazed someone like Jack could have so many bad days. 

11 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Honestly, I think the leaks about the AMPTP offer are likely true. It fits with WGA being willing to analyze it.

That said, it doesn't seem the AMPTP offer is enough convenient for the WGA.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

While I'm sure the WGA will propose a counteroffer, who is this Tweet for? The general non-Union public doesn't have a say in the matter, so it doesn't matter if we think the leaks are true or not. And the members of the WGA will eventually get a final contract to read before they have to vote on whether to accept it.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Honestly, I think the leaks about the AMPTP offer are likely true. It fits with WGA being willing to analyze it.

There will 100% be a counteroffer, but there were definitely writers and actors hoping these strikes would be a paradigm shift and more change would happen within the industry. With this latest leak, it doesn't feel like that will be the case.

I honestly think we're reaching the back-half of the strike, if we're not there already, but with that, we're also going to get a few active-on-social-media writers and actors who were part of the same group who thought Bernie Sanders would win the 2016 and 2020 elections who are going to make the final stretch very rough.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

There will 100% be a counteroffer, but there were definitely writers and actors hoping these strikes would be a paradigm shift and more change would happen within the industry. With this latest leak, it doesn't feel like that will be the case.

I honestly think we're reaching the back-half of the strike, if we're not there already, but with that, we're also going to get a few active-on-social-media writers and actors who were part of the same group who thought Bernie Sanders would win the 2016 and 2020 elections who are going to make the final stretch very rough.

Yeah...

As is usually the case, both parties are going to have to make concessions. The AMPTP is not going to walk away scott free, but this will probably not be complete victory for creators that some SAG and WGA members were hoping for.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

While I'm sure the WGA will propose a counteroffer, who is this Tweet for? The general non-Union public doesn't have a say in the matter, so it doesn't matter if we think the leaks are true or not. And the members of the WGA will eventually get a final contract to read before they have to vote on whether to accept it.

I think it's to prevent a "oh, the strike is ending soon" thing that'd take momentum out of the strike

13 minutes ago, JWR said:

Yeah...

As is usually the case, both parties are going to have to make concessions. The AMPTP is not going to walk away scott free, but this will probably not be complete victory for creators that some SAG and WGA members were hoping for.

That would be better than nothing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kon said:

Oh the question isn't whether the reports are accurate, just the reason for leaking them. If the AMPTP can frame the leak as "they made all these concessions and the writers still said no!", that'd be a way to try to turn the public against the strike.

I'm telling you, this is Bernie Sanders all over again.

Remember, the WGA specifically wrote a letter to people in the Union saying they would not be making contract discussions public unless leaks were made to the media and their hand was forced. If the WGA doesn't make a public response today, then these leaks are probably true.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh the question isn't whether the reports are accurate, just the reason for leaking them. If the AMPTP can frame the leak as "they made all these concessions and the writers still said no!", that'd be a way to try to turn the public against the strike.

Who cares? Public sentiment doesn't matter. I'm not in the Union so my opinion shouldn't matter, positive or negative. And people in the unions have other channels of getting their information: text chains, picket lines, DMs, etc.

But let's pretend public sentiment *did* matter. The first thing the public would do is unsubscribe to streaming service or cable, right? To screw actors and writers, you have to directly screw the studios as well.

The average person who doesn't closely follow entertainment news or isn't fully immersed in the world of pop culture doesn't care about the strikes tbh. To a lot of people, everyone who works in Hollywood is the 1% who own fabulous million dollar mansions and get paid $20M per project when that's the perception of the industry vs. the reality. Those who whine that Hollywood is full of rich people who are out of touch with reality often prove they're no better by putting their own lack of knowledge on the subject of how the entertainment industry truly works out there.

• Like 4