Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

It sure is impressive how the studios are trying every possible approach to ending these strikes except for the ridiculously simple solution of making a fair deal with the guilds. 

Because they can't stand the idea of caving to the talent and parting with their $20M+ salaries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JWR said:

Because they can't stand the idea of caving to the talent and parting with their $20M+ salaries.

There are a lot of ways this could end, but even if the guilds get everything they deserve, none of them end with these CEOs parting with their $20M+ salaries.

• Like 3

Hollywood really needs to bring down the budgets for tv shows again , nobody asked for movie budgets for series. Have tv actors and movie actors again. If an a-list actor won't work for cheaper on tv , cast someone else. Its ok to have one flagship series where you overspend but not ok to have half your shows rival studio blockbusters in cost.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

For comparisons worth, during the last 100 day strike, negotiations or at least some kind of communication happened throughout the entire thing. Here talks didn't start until around the 100 day mark.

I would also add that all sides of this labor conflict have reasons to Talk Tough in the press, even if every word they say is true. 

Personally, as someone who has seen his fair share of these disputes over the years, actions speak louder than words. 

So right now I'm... I won't say "tuning out" the noise but I will say that I'm not reading much of anything into it — except that a deal isn't imminent.  That's really about it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

These stunts just ensured that these strikes will bleed into next year for sure. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if the industry just collapses like the video game industry did in the 80s. My Joker 2 club is looking more and more likely by the day.

No it won't, stop with the hyperbolic trolling. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The idea that Hollywood or the film and television industry will collapse is nonsense anyway. 

I’m about to state the obvious, but I think the reason why this industry will not entirely collapse is because cinema is, video is, and its connected trades are. There is no collapsing the idea, because the idea of these forms of storytelling can never be erased from history. Many things have surpassed literature in popularity, but literature is, so literature persists anyway. As long as humans are alive and breathing and having access to a camera, cinema will persist in some way, shape or form. Will the strike cause this industry to change? Absolutely. But it won’t die, because it cannot die, because it is.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I would point out the reason the video game industry collapsed in the 1980s was due to poor quality games being rushed out to market, it's not a like for like comparison to what's happening to Hollywood right now. 

Are you implying that Hollywood isn’t rushing poor quality movies to market? 🤪

• Haha 5

Eventually both sides will agree to a deal, with both sides conceding on things. It's just a matter of what they're willing to concede on.

But honestly this just shows you that any story about how any of these studios are "struggling" are bullshit. If they were struggling, they would've made a deal already. They can afford to drag this out.

• Like 2