Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

20 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Eventually both sides will agree to a deal, with both sides conceding on things. It's just a matter of what they're willing to concede on.

But honestly this just shows you that any story about how any of these studios are "struggling" are bullshit. If they were struggling, they would've made a deal already. They can afford to drag this out.

To be fair, WGA (and SAG) members tend to say studios are struggling or desperate, because it's a way to keep morale high.

That said, it's true studios aren't so desperate if they are dragging this out.

27 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Eventually both sides will agree to a deal, with both sides conceding on things. It's just a matter of what they're willing to concede on.

But honestly this just shows you that any story about how any of these studios are "struggling" are bullshit. If they were struggling, they would've made a deal already. They can afford to drag this out.

I think it's somewhere in between: The studios are losing money with each day/week productions are paused and shut down. But the AMPTP won't blink until things get REALLY dire for them. They still think/hope that the strikes lose momentum so that the studios don't to have to make any major concessions. 

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

The juiciest details that were dissected by the media during the Sony hack should've been all we needed to know re: there is no lowest level as to how silly studio executives can be.

Why are U punishing me

Heaven knows what sort of emails they're sending each other about the strikes...

4 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I know that's not really the point of that article, but lol Scott Feinberg. Diva actors are ridiculous enough, but the idea of awards blogger divadom is WILD. Like, even among people who pay attention to movies and awards, many still have never heard of Feinberg or Clayton Davis or Sasha Stone and that ilk...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

https://deadline.com/2023/08/writers-strike-wga-response-studios-proposal-1235525936/

Had The AMPTP began with this April it would have been much better. But 100 days in...

We repeated what we have said since day one, that our demands come directly from the membership itself. They address the existential threats to the profession of writing and to our individual careers, all caused by changes to the business model implemented by the companies in the last seven to ten years. We stressed that we could not and would not pick and choose among those threats; that we have not struck for nearly four months to half-save ourselves, nor are we leaving any sector of this Guild unprotected when we return to work. We are willing to negotiate within these areas, but every existential issue must be met with a genuine solution.  

Personally, I think this is a key bit.

I sped read the memo and I was actually struck by what I would call "tough but fair" language in it.  The tone wasn't nearly as confrontational or obstinent as it could have been (or frankly warranted).  Sure, there were shots across the bow at some of the AMPTP's slimy tactics, but overall that read as a "work with us to get a fair solution" update than a "eat shit and die" rebuttal.

Which has in fact been their tone from the beginning, but as labor wars drag on, attitudes can harden, so I do think the tone in the memo is at least somewhat noteworthy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kon said:

To be fair, WGA (and SAG) members tend to say studios are struggling or desperate, because it's a way to keep morale high.

That said, it's true studios aren't so desperate if they are dragging this out.

also fact is we went from zirp to insanely high rates. Debt is now very expensive and WGA and SAG want massive Covid inflation wage boosts. Reality is recession is going to come and people are going to cut costs. Not a great time to take on massive amounts of crippling debt.

30 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

since there hasn't been many delays yet , it still gives me hope the strike ends soon

They have enough material to next year, with movies at least. Yeah maybe the ones who still need big reshoots or something will be hurted or delayed, but overall i think they’re not really desperate simply because they can afford it. 

The slate of this year is pretty much the same, is very clear most of them will stay. As an audience member i’m glad, but in the context of the strike this is a bad sign of studios willing to go much further without resolving this, yeah, including dropping lots of movies without a big part of it’s crew.

Edited by ThomasNicole

48 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Of course this strike won’t make Hollywood collapse… but it could reshape it the same way the studio system falling to bits in the 1960s did.

I think the classic Studio system begun to collapse in the early 1950's, it never was able to cope with the double whammy of the Coming of TV..which cut theater attednence nearly 40%,,and losing their ownership of the theater chains., it just took a long time to collapse.

In the fifties one major studio RKO went under.

But if you are lookikng for the final collapse of the GOlden Age studio system I think MGM basically stopping all production in 1972 would be as good a place as any. It came to the edge of out and out bankrupticy, for three years the only film it produced was "That's Entertaiment" which cost next to nothing to make, and it never really reached A studio status again even after it resumed production in 1975. MGM eas the most  powerful studio in the 30's and 40'sm and it's shutting down makred the end of the classic studio system.

Edited by dudalb

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They have enough material to next year, with movies at least. Yeah maybe the ones who still need big reshoots or something will be hurted or delayed, but overall i think they’re not really desperate simply because they can afford it. 

For films, they may think that, but there’s gonna be a big-ass hole once they finish releasing what they’ve already finished… and that hole gets bigger and deeper with every passing day. 

The more they drag their feet now, the emptier the next year will be. 

• Like 5

Just now, dudalb said:

I think the classic Studio system begun to collapse in the early 1950's, it never was able to cope with the double whammy of the Coming of TV..which cut theater attednence nearly 40%,,and losing their ownership of the theater chains., it just took a long time to collapse.

In the fifties one major studio RKO went under.

But if you are lookikng for the final collapse of the GOlden Age studio system I think MGM basically stopping all production in 1972 would be as good a place as any. It came to the edge of out and out bankrupticy, for three years the only film it produced was "That's Entertaiment" which cost next to nothing to make, and it never really reached A studio status again even after it resumed production in 1975.

Just now, Plain Old Tele said:

For films, they may think that, but there’s gonna be a big-ass hole once they finish releasing what they’ve already finished… and that hole gets bigger and deeper with every passing day. 

The more they drag their feet now, the emptier the next year will be. 

SO far only Television production has really been impacted, but if thei goes on a few more weeks, movies will be impacted as far as delay goes as well.

Real danger that the second half of the 2023 TV season will go dwon the tubes; first hali is already gone.

Look  for lots of the older Disney Plus  series to show up on ABC just to fill time. Ms. Marvel is just the first.