Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

27 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Read the actual contract - it only applied to pre-strike contracts. New contract work only started post ratification

The new contract stuff could only start post the ratification work last week.

... which would still mean that actors would return back to the sets they were filming in, just like how a bunch of writer's room reopened immediately after the WGA lifted. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They only lifted it for the late night shows and talk shows. Normal staffing only resumed after ratification. 

Dick Wolf’s NBC, CBS Shows Reopen Writers Rooms – The Hollywood Reporter 

@jamesgunn • I am. And I’m having so much fun. • Threads 

That is 100% wrong lol

Edited by 21C
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DInky said:

Tell me again how the studios want to end this quickly. Newson torpedoing the bill that would have given striking workers unemployment pay and health coverage totally played a part in this.

I really dont thi k it did, they already get unemployment in New York, and the fact is the unemployment benefit would be far below the cost of living, they would not be able to afford their rent with the benefit alone.

This is always going to be about the revenue sharing, to get the amptp to give away 2 percent of their revenue like a sports team model is going to take a very long and protracted strike, even if they had unemployment this was not ending anytime soon, unfortunately. 

11 minutes ago, JWR said:

I can't believe that studios are doing this song and dance routine again. Did they learn nothing from the last 5 months?

To be fair, although the WGA is pretty happy with their contract, they still needed to make concessions on their demands.

So, the AMPTP likely expect similar results if they extend the actors strike.

Edited by Kon

4 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

wonder if disney will try to push Elio to Deadpool 3's date 

I can see them pushing it to June after how well Elemental performed there. Because let's face it, most of their summer slate will have to relocate to the fall and winter now that these negotiations failed. They're gonna need something new for the summer, and among others like Snow White, Elio is a decent candidate for a potential new summer tentpole, especially if it's a crowdpleaser like Elemental was. The big question is the voice acting, and if it was recorded ahead of time or not.

33 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think it'll be months before talks resume again, indeed I imagine 2-3 weeks. 

When talks resume, I think they need to stop with one day on, one day off. 

Unless this is somehow done by the Thanksgiving holidays, then it's highly unlikely to be done this year. It's pretty clear that the actors want far more than the writers, and I don't know if 2-3 weeks will be enough for them. Unless someone like Drew Barrymore wants to be a sacrificial lamb of course.

Anyway, I morbidly wonder if we're going to see some movies get outright scrapped during this period. We already saw a TV casualty with Apple canning Sam Esmail's Metropolis series. I really need to look and up and see if such incidents happened during the last big strike.

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

March is so packed with movies with potential that are already made it's absurd. Elio, The Fall Guy, Kung Fu Panda 4, A Quiet Place: Day 1, Dune 2, Snow White, Ghostbusters, Mickey 17. Expect some of them to shift to later dates just for breathing room in open slots. Since we're less than six months away I imagine the Bad News Friday drops are coming up shortly.

No trailers being ready for KFP4 and Snow White seem odd especially with big tie-ins around the corner. Can see KFP4 taking DM4 spot, and DM4 going to the holidays, and Snow White being the May kickoff.

8 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/sag-aftra-talks-suspended-1235752709/

2024 looking likely, if you ask me, but I'm a cynic. 

it's not gonna take till 2024 to end bruh relax. Talks will probably resume in a week or two.

We all just need to be patient especially since we're likely very near the end of this strike. It's just another bump on the road.

Edited by Cappoedameron

3 hours ago, YM! said:

No trailers being ready for KFP4 and Snow White seem odd especially with big tie-ins around the corner. Can see KFP4 taking DM4 spot, and DM4 going to the holidays, and Snow White being the May kickoff.

Snow White is an obvious The Marvels attachment given the studio/female demographic overlap. Studios probably want something a little more spectacle-y to kick off summer so wouldn't be surprised if Godzilla x Kong just moves back three weeks to be the opener for the season.

Problem is residuals for streaming I think. How can Netflix pay. its not as if Netflix makes more money because of streaming hours of Manifest or Suits. I think they have to set upfront payment depending on future viewing minutes. So there is minimum and for every billion hours pay certain amount or something like that. For linear tv it was easy to pay residuals due to ad revenue. Another way is to stream old shows only via Ad driven and pay a fraction of that. But Ad revenue in streaming platforms are peanuts.