Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I agree the biggest impacts will be next year's slate - which is why product is going to be needed to fill those dates, and that is why I think we could see more delays. And yes, that could include shifting Wonka an entire year, because it is indeed a holiday release. Dune also had second trailers and magazine covers come out, so I don't take that as solid proof, though it is at least some evidence I agree. Like I said, I have no inside info and I could absolutely be wrong. But releasing these movies without promotion is throwing away millions for the bigger ones like KOTFM and Napoleon and Wonka. Maybe they are just......fine with that? Can't say it makes any sense to me! I just want the actors to get paid fairly. Clearly, they're gonna need movies to release in 2024, and they might have to dip into this year to get em.

Generally, 2024 is shaping up to be a historically bad year (Trump gets re-elected, two wars, etc.) so if you expect any bad things, it's a safe bet to think they'll come true!

They probably would take a -10%-20% hit in BO over spendings hundreds of millions in marketing again for a delayed movie. And for IP movie like FNAF or Wonka, or animation like Wish/Migration/Trolls, it is probably less than -10%. 

Dune 2 is different because they have all-star cast, and even then, it was not WB's decision, it was New Line's.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

SAG leadership rejecting the Clooney proposal is one thing but I do think they've shot themselves in the foot with their Halloween guidance. 

I think both of them combined makes them look mega embarrassing and loses a lot of their credibility.

24 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Remember a few weeks ago after the Writer deal how things were looking up and we could be positive. Those were the days. Heck even a little over a week ago I still thought there was no way the SAG strike lasts until next year. Now who the hell knows. 

a deal wiil be made before the end of the year, but little to no filming will be done until next year

SAG-AFTRA leadership needs to really reassess their priorities if they have time to essentially police what actors can dress up as for Halloween on their own time that should devoted to getting back to the meeting rooms to resolve this so everything can return to normal ASAP.

It's clear as day that the solidarity walls have officially collapsed within the guild if there's definite infighting among top brass going around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephanos13 said:

A deal that they could have gotten way earlier.

I know I am not the smartest person, but I am trying to understand how the WGA could have got the same deal earlier when the AMPTP did not open talks till 100+ days had already passed.

We already know where they started in May because the WGA sent out the clear demands versus response list. So I fail to see how they could have got their deal way earlier between May and late August when the studios pretty much refused to even negotiate thinking that writers will come back when they start losing their homes.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

SAG-AFTRA leadership needs to really reassess their priorities if they have time to essentially police what actors can dress up as for Halloween on their own time that should devoted to getting back to the meeting rooms to resolve this so everything can return to normal ASAP.

It's clear as day that the solidarity walls have officially collapsed within the guild if there's definite infighting among top brass going around.

The AMPTP are biding their time and my guess is that once SAG drops the revenue sharing proposal, a deal will happen. 

16 hours ago, Jonwo said:

SAG leadership rejecting the Clooney proposal is one thing but I do think they've shot themselves in the foot with their Halloween guidance. 

I disagree. That is an indirect promotion of Studio product. Why do it during negotiations. Question is why is it coming up now unless it was always assumed to be the plan but not called out.