Eric is Anxious

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

20 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I would consider the fact that they did not walk away generally positive and if talks are sustained and intense enough this could actually happen this week. But, again, nothing certain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

It'll be wild if strike ends the day before The Marvels opens. Almost like the entire universe was conspiring against it.

If Marvels bombs like expected, it won’t be because of the strike. The first movie made over a billion dollars. A sequel shouldn’t need that much promotion to be successful. Plus it’s part of the most recognizable brand in movies right now. 

No, if it bombs, it’s because people aren’t interested. We can debate why that is, but that’s another matter. 

1 minute ago, motionpic05 said:

In all seriousness, is there a chance the major chains shut down at some point due to lack of product? 

Major chains, no. There are still far more blockbusters next year than last year even accounting for delays. I also read some chains like Cinemark and Drafthouse had record Q3s. Maybe some indie/arthouse/non-profits will go down (not sure though), but those are a very small portion of the overall BO.

Why the meltdowns? It was kinda obvious they wouldn’t accept it based on the articles dropping all day 

The word is that they will negotiate in the next hours and tomorrow. 

We have to wait if they will indeed keep talking (like it happened with WGA iirc when they get to this same point and it work out in the end), or if everyone will walk away. 

Still, i feel that sadly studios have some advantage on this now. Even if the strike ends now there’s hardly anything to save this year anyway on their movies slate and shows are already fucked. They already took a big hit and their plans is kinda fucked for the next 3 months even if it ends now.

Imo they can wait until January and be in a similar situation that they are now, but SAG would pass the holidays without money and resources which is cruel. 

Hopefully the talks will continue this week as it has been said all day and they can reach the deal since apparently it wasn’t that far now. Otherwise, seems like a predictable turnout for today.

• Like 2

Again, if talks were going well, Disney wouldn't have had to push back Snow White and Elio by over a year, and Lionsgate wouldn't have had to secure an interim agreement for Hunger Games. Some people denied it, but the signs were there these past couple of weeks. At this point I don't see Hollywood budging unless this holiday season is an utter disaster and shareholders start getting angry. Call me Eeyore all you want, but I'm willing to die on this hill.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Again, if talks were going well, Disney wouldn't have had to push back Snow White and Elio by over a year, and Lionsgate wouldn't have had to secure an interim agreement for Hunger Games. Some people denied it, but the signs were there these past couple of weeks. At this point I don't see Hollywood budging unless this holiday season is an utter disaster and shareholders start getting angry. Call me Eeyore all you want, but I'm willing to die on this hill.

TBH you'd probably want Hollywood to collapse so you could post about it.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Knock It Off 1

If the AI piece was there, the other issues would resolve themselves. AI is truly existential and as many of us were saying at the beginning of the strikes the results of this language will affect every industry in America moving forward from teachers to therapists and more. This is the exact thing to hold out on. If it was just the numbers on the other issues it'd probably be over, but this is bigger than that.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

In all seriousness, is there a chance the major chains shut down at some point due to lack of product? 

Pandemic-style shutdowns? No. But I can certainly see a decent amount of them gone for good by next year's end. 2024 will be the year of rereleases and concert movies methinks. They'll be vital in filling up the dead spaces we will no doubt see.

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I think they still would have pushed back and retooled Snow White BUT otherwise I agree.