Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There are some big ticket shows which won't be able to be promoted like Ahsoka.

Yep.

I'm too focused on SW for my own good, but I was thinking a little while ago that (one of) the First Major TV Promotion Casualty/ies for a SAG Strike would be Ahsoka as that was the first show to come to mind.

Doesn't help that I'm not familiar with whatever is coming down the pike over at Netflix.  But I can't imagine that Disney is all too thrilled that they won't be able to roll out live press junkets should a SAG strike still be ongoing in mid-August. 

Again, I'm expecting this to last until Christmas at the earliest, with the possibility of lasting into next year. I also agree that a lot of these fall tentpoles will be pushed to next year. Aquaman 2 is among the few I think will stay as is, if only because Warner wants to dump it as fast as possible and move on. Deadpool 3 isn't making that May date. It just isn't. I'd put more money on The Marvels being placed there instead.

• Community Manager
51 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What is the fall TV season even going to look like? Most (all?) shows have been caught in the crosshairs of the strike.

Dominated by reality TV and maybe Canadian (maybe British) TV shows. Broadcast TV is dead anyways so the whole concept of the traditional TV season isn't really big like it used to be.

I actually don't think the actor's strike will last that long if it happens, but I don't know if it even happens: deals tend to happen pretty quickly under a deadline or they can try punting the deadline again. If it does happen, maybe a week? Then the WGA probably gets it's deal pretty quickly. 

If it lasts a long time, then yeah, I don't know. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Again, I'm expecting this to last until Christmas at the earliest, with the possibility of lasting into next year. I also agree that a lot of these fall tentpoles will be pushed to next year. Aquaman 2 is among the few I think will stay as is, if only because Warner wants to dump it as fast as possible and move on. Deadpool 3 isn't making that May date. It just isn't. I'd put more money on The Marvels being placed there instead.

If that's true that shows how greed can  make people in power be insanely stupid and irrational. That said I think you are way  too pessimistic.  I mean did the studios love what happened in 2020 and they want to repeat that. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

If that's true that shows how greed can  make people in power be insanely stupid and irrational. That said I think you are way  too pessimistic.  I mean did the studios love what happened in 2020 and they want to repeat that. 

AI seems to be the main issue for SAG (not even the streaming residuals).

Studios being unwilling to offer the actors any real reassurance about this technology shows how their greed knows no limits.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I wonder if the tech can get to the point where it could cheaply and convincingly be used for entire animated/CGI voice over roles? Voice actors would quite literally become extinct in that scenario. 

What I find scary is people who think this would be a good thing.

I am beginning to think we need a Butlerian revolt aginst AI like in "Dune",

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

They’re really desperate 

nice , at least they know if it happens they’re fucked 

Man, this really is following the Sports Labor Talks Playbook.  :--/

FWIW federal mediators are often seen as a PR gimmick ploy to make unions look bad, couple of examples seen here:

https://theathletic.com/3111299/2022/02/03/mlbs-push-for-federal-mediation-could-be-win-win-pr-play-for-owners-source-says/

https://theathletic.com/3112497/2022/02/04/why-the-players-rejected-mlbs-mediation-request-and-whats-next-in-talks/

Sub required on both — in the middle of my MI7 run so I'll try to track down nonsub links later.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I do suspect they'll get their shit together real quick when faced with the prospect of actually starting to lose revenue, much like MLB did in 2022.

Problem is they might miscalculate. A great many wars are started when one side pushes the other over the edge, while not meanng to push it quite that far.

16 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Problem is they could repeat that without intended to.

And I think ego is involved as much as greed.

40 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I wonder if the tech can get to the point where it could cheaply and convincingly be used for entire animated/CGI voice over roles? Voice actors would quite literally become extinct in that scenario. 

It’s already pretty close. In the D+ Star Wars shows they’ve used it to generate the vocal performances for Darth Vader and that ugly de-aged Luke. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

this excerpt stood out 

Case in point: Edelstein still collects checks from cable reruns of the 2015 film “Jurassic World,” in which he had a small role as a paddock supervisor for dinosaurs. In a recent quarter, the cable residuals totaled $1,400. By comparison, he received only $40 for reruns of the movie on streaming platforms during the same period, he said.

holy shit

Edited by eddyxx
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, Porthos said:

In case people are curious about overseas productions they would absolutely be shut down if SAG-AFTRA members were part of the cast (as they should, BTW).

"Global Rule One" as it is known:

That section from and article from Deadline was about TV but it also applies to film and other productions.

All press junkets and Comic Con and other things get axed as well:

Not saying we're entering Nuclear War stage of Hollywood Labor Talks has there have been actor strikes before.  Will say that since it hasn't happened (for a real length of time — not counting strikes against commercial productions) in over 40 years, lots of folks here really aren't prepared for the disruption to the entertainment ecosystem it will cause to things even out of immediate production.

So I was reading the article you linked and it hit me when they brought up comic con..

actors will not be permitted to take part in promotional work of any kind, including press junkets, film premieres, and fan events like San Diego Comic-Con.”

wait, can actors still attend small fan conventions still? A lot of genre actors from old shows(Buffy, Star Trek, smallville,supernatural, etc) make a lot of their income from doing conventions doing signings,photos, and  q&a’s at those conventions so that would be awful for them. 

Edited by eddyxx

5 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

So I was reading the article you linked and it hit me when they brought up comic con..wait, can actors still attend small fan conventions still? A lot of genre actors from old shows(Buffy, Star Trek, smallville,supernatural, etc) make a lot of their income from doing conventions doing signings,photos, and  q&a’s at those conventions so that would be awful for them. 

Not a Guild Lawyer/Member but to me it's all about promotion, right?  See that bit about a ban on social media posts about work, for instance.

If it is something that is going to promote present/recent work, I presume it's completely out, no exceptions no matter the venue.  But decades old work?  I dunno... maybe?  But it's still promoting material for product from AMPTP members so as I think about it, probably not.

Signings might be okay though as I can't see much of a reason against that, but again not a Guild Lawyer/Member.  

More than a few people here directly connected to various Hollywood Guilds, so they'd know much more than I about the nitty gritty small details like that.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Of course. It's just a matter of time.