The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

2 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Voice actors do indeed count. So animated films will be affected, as will video games, I'd imagine.

Basically, anything that requires the input of either a writer or actor at any stage of development will not be able to continue. 

No, it's specifically live-action films, TV, and streaming. Video games and commercials are separate and handled separately. There was a whole specific video game VAing strike in the 2010s.

EDIT: I'm sure animated films with big name actors will be one of those dubious grey areas but stuff like usual animated shows and video game voice acting aren't classified under this.

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

No, it's specifically live-action films, TV, and streaming. Video games and commercials are separate and handled separately. There was a whole specific video game VAing strike in the 2010s.

EDIT: I'm sure animated films with big name actors will be one of those dubious grey areas but stuff like usual animated shows and video game voice acting aren't classified under this.

Hmmm… what happens if IDK a AAA studio hired a big name actor tomorrow to perform voice acting and motion capture and they are SAG affiliated. Would they be able to take that job? Because if they can, I imagine next weeks could get wild. Good thing that my backlog is obscene and the second half of 2023 is absolutely insane when it comes to videogames, which is crazy since the first half was already too damn crowded and this is the first year that it was just too many games that I wanted to buy but it didn’t make financial sense to buy them now and only play it next year. 

I could see some big AAA games swinging for the fences with some big name actors if that’s allowed.

5 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Voice actors do indeed count. So animated films will be affected, as will video games, I'd imagine.

Basically, anything that requires the input of either a writer or actor at any stage of development will not be able to continue. 

I don't think any of the animated films for at the first half of 2024 will be affected but also unlike live action, it's something that can be done fairly quickly.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Hmmm… what happens if IDK a AAA studio hired a big name actor tomorrow to perform voice acting and motion capture and they are SAG affiliated. Would they be able to take that job? Because if they can, I imagine next weeks could get wild. Good thing that my backlog is obscene and the second half of 2023 is absolutely insane when it comes to videogames, which is crazy since the first half was already too damn crowded and this is the first year that it was just too many games that I wanted to buy but it didn’t make financial sense to buy them now and only play it next year. 

I could see some big AAA games swinging for the fences with some big name actors if that’s allowed.

I could see some try but it'd be a big chunk of budget for it and a lot of video game stuff now is mo cap too and such. I guess we'll see.

Just now, Mulder said:

I could see some try but it'd be a big chunk of budget for it and a lot of video game stuff now is mo cap too and such. I guess we'll see.

I’ve been playing Jedi: Fallen Order and I still get astounded when I get pep talks from

Spoiler

Saw "Forest Whitaker" Gerrera

. It’s just wild to me, such a talented actor, even there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think anime voice actors aren't part of any union. They'll probably continue ad normal.

1 hour ago, DInky said:

My mind immediately went to Blue Beetle. That film is already facing an uphill battle

James Gunn will call it the greatest superhero film he’s ever seen on Twitter and cause ticket sales to spike  I’m sure.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

James Gunn will call it the greatest superhero film he’s ever seen on Twitter and cause ticket sales to spike  I’m sure.

Don’t be mean lol. I like James Gunn’s Kevin Smith side. I mean, Nolan infamously is a fan of Bay’s Transformers, let my dude have his tastes lmao.

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

SAG AFTRA represents voice actors, so if the whole of SAG AFTRA comes out on strike, then voice actors who are members of SAG AFTRA (the majority) will too. This seems to be a far wider reaching strike, and all I've read suggests its SAG AFTRA as a whole. If you've seen different though, please say!

Edited by FunkMiller

7 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

SAG AFTRA represents voice actors, so if the whole of SAG AFTRA comes out on strike, then voice actors who are members of SAG AFTRA (the majority) will too. This seems to be a far wider reaching strike, and all I've read suggests its SAG AFTRA as a whole. If you've seen different though, please say!

It's specifically related to films, TV, and streaming projects. 

https://www.thewrap.com/sag-aftra-strike-rules-publicists/

The rules mentioned don't include anything about voice acting, voice-over, or commercials. The way SAG-AFTRA strikes operate is on a specialized way, it's not a WGA-style general strike because SAG-AFTRA is so encompassing. That's why the video game VAing strike in the 2010s was able to happen. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–2017_video_game_voice_actor_strike

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's specifically related to films, TV, and streaming projects. 

https://www.thewrap.com/sag-aftra-strike-rules-publicists/

The rules mentioned don't include anything about voice acting, voice-over, or commercials. The way SAG-AFTRA strikes operate is on a specialized way, it's not a WGA-style general strike because SAG-AFTRA is so encompassing. That's why the video game VAing strike in the 2010s was able to happen. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–2017_video_game_voice_actor_strike

I'd like to see something expressly stating that voice over actors won't be striking - mainly because I'd be surprised if they weren't, given the potentially massive impact of AI on their profession.

2 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

I'd like to see something expressly stating that voice over actors won't be striking - mainly because I'd be surprised if they weren't, given the potentially massive impact of AI on their profession.

It would have to be a different strike against vastly different companies. They're not included in this. This is specifically against the AMPTP who only control TV and movies. VAing extends to stuff like games as well. It's entirely different things here. The rules are outlined in The Wrap article, there is nothing mentioned about Voice Acting or Voice Over. SAG-AFTRA also includes singers, journalists, radio personalities, fashion models etc. You'll never see a complete SAG-AFTRA strike because it's so big. The WGA itself isn't on a complete strike and its base is way smaller.

• Like 1

Could someone pelase explain both strikes to me? I understand the part where they aren't paid well but I'm not sure I understand what is going on with AI. Do studios think they can replace people with AI? :wtf:

Edited by Valonqar

12 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It would have to be a different strike against vastly different companies. They're not included in this. This is specifically against the AMPTP who only control TV and movies. VAing extends to stuff like games as well. It's entirely different things here. The rules are outlined in The Wrap article, there is nothing mentioned about Voice Acting or Voice Over. SAG-AFTRA also includes singers, journalists, radio personalities, fashion models etc. You'll never see a complete SAG-AFTRA strike because it's so big. The WGA itself isn't on a complete strike and its base is way smaller.

Okay, but again - i'd like to see something official about it. This voice over artists seems to think they'll be included:

sag

Sounds like the union needs to clarify things for its members!

17 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Okay, but again - i'd like to see something official about it. This voice over artists seems to think they'll be included:

sag

Sounds like the union needs to clarify things for its members!

Reading the tweet and image included in it, it literally says that it's not including those at the moment and they're still to be decided on. As of this moment, it's not including them. If it does end up including them that will be announced later. As the tweet also says, they're entirely separate from this strike. This does however make it known that video games produced by WB (As they're the only movie studio with a gaming division) aren't exempt and no one can work on WB Games' games who are in SAG-AFTRA.

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 3