The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

COVID delays part 2 it sounds like. See y'all in 2025

This is not likely at all 

Movies this year is mostly fine, and many of next year movies is shot already as well 

I’m sure there will be some shifts especially if it lasts long, but the COVID situation is something that literally never happened in Hollywood before and most of the problem was due the fact that there wasn’t theaters opens and people willing to go to them, we can’t expect every crisis to follow that

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

SAG-AFTRA was always going to be The Big One since you can still continue filming stuff from scripts already written before the deadline while WGA went on strike. Once AMPTP starts to see how that impacts their bank accounts (which is really what everyone from all walks of life, not just the entertainment industry, care most about at the end of the day), they'll be running back to the bargaining table to sign off on a deal even if it means doing so gritting through their teeth.

Not only that, the promo aspect as well. Can't really market a film without actors doing the usual blurbs. 

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Movies this year is mostly fine, and many of next year movies is shot already as well 

I'll give you the first part. Next year's stuff? Absolutely delayed. If this is lasting through the fall there's no way anything in the schedule isn't delayed by at least 4 months minimum 

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’m sure there will be some shifts especially if it lasts long, but the COVID situation is something that literally never happened in Hollywood before and most of the problem was due the fact that there wasn’t theaters opens and people willing to go to them, we can’t expect every crisis to follow that

There are still aspects of post-production like ADR and reshoots where actors are needed.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Ghostbusters is likely headed to 2024 since it already seemed to be on a very tight deadline for such a VFX heavy project (filming wrapped just a few weeks ago). There's already a bunch of double booked or more release dates for next year that obviously won't be sticking (Despicable Me and The Lion King both on the 4th of July holiday? Planet of the Apes, Furiosa, Garfield, and a Ryan Reynolds comedy from John Krasinski all on Memorial Day weekend? Uh huh, sure), so the fun will be seeing which ones move and to where.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

I agree, Covid was a problem in that there was content and things being filmed but they couldn't release it because of global closures. A strike is problematic but it's something studios are able to resolve by themselves. 

11 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Hence my point that if the strikes do go on for a long time, the creatives could well turn to YouTube for income.

I really doubt all the creatives could turn to Youtube for income.

For starters, these jobs can be pretty expensive and the guarantees of success are pretty dicey.

Just now, filmlover said:

Ghostbusters is likely headed to 2024 since it already seemed to be on a very tight deadline for such a VFX heavy project (filming wrapped just a few weeks ago). There's already a bunch of double booked or more release dates for next year that obviously won't be sticking (Despicable Me and The Lion King both on the 4th of July holiday? Planet of the Apes, Furiosa, Garfield, and a Ryan Reynolds comedy from John Krasinski all on Memorial Day weekend? Uh huh, sure), so the fun will be seeing which ones move and to where.

It's why I don't think 2024 is going to that badly affected. Once you move a few of the double booked films around to other dates as well as a handful from 2023 then the schedule is tightened up a fair bit. 

I suspect given what we've seen this summer that studios will be looking to reshuffle content anyway to give it breathing room, 

1 minute ago, Kon said:

I really doubt all the creatives could turn to Youtube for income.

For starters, these jobs can be pretty expensive and the guarantees of success are pretty dicey.

For an actor, you could just do a play for a few months rather than try and do some DIY YouTube projects. 

1 hour ago, DInky said:

Actors don't want studios to be able to recreate their likenesses (Rogue One, for example) and writers don't want a future where studios let an AI write a script and then bring in writers in to "edit" those scripts and pay them less because it's editing and not writing.

That's fair. Recreation kills their jobs and it isn't the same anyway. 

19 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

YouTube Reds actual originals program was a failure with exception of Cobra Kai, which was immediately taken from them. There's a zero percent chance you're gonna get Hollywood production levels from just independents trying to do it on their own.

This is totally true. Creatives couldn't really turn to independent projects in Youtube, because it would be pretty risky and not so profitable.

Edited by Kon

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

This is totally true. Creatives couldn't really turn to independent projects in Youtube, because it would be pretty risky and not so profitable.

Exactly. Dr Horrible happened during the last strike but that method isn't sustainable for the entire industry 

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ghostbusters is definitely gonna move, I agree.

Question for me is if WB punts Aquaman, given...all things DC right now.

Then MCU reshuffle incoming again.

Mind you, the pressure might be too big for executives and solutions might be found sooner than expected and this won't be a dispute that offsets things for longer than a couple of months (including restarts).

Just now, reddevil19 said:

Mind you, the pressure might be too big for executives and solutions might be found sooner than expected and this won't be a dispute that offsets things for longer than a couple of months (including restarts).

I'm giving it until August before the AMPTP folds. 

I feel like folks are underestimating how long it takes for the whole production process. If this gets pushed back to October, that means everything won’t even START production until then. So then add a year, or more, depending on the schedule.

Like I said in the title, this is gonna be Heroes 2.0. So much TV is just not coming back until at least Fall 2024 if they don’t get this resolved this summer. 

• Like 6

Deals will be made eventually, both sides probably won’t be happy about it but they’ll feel it’s what’s best.   The general public will even forget this happened and in 10 years it’ll be back to this again.

Just now, Cap said:

I feel like folks are underestimating how long it takes for the whole production process. If this gets pushed back to October, that means everything won’t even START production until then. So then add a year, or more, depending on the schedule.

Like I said in the title, this is gonna be Heroes 2.0. So much TV is just not coming back until at least Fall 2024 if they don’t get this resolved this summer. 

I for one am ready for the Golden Age of TV to end. Bring back CINEMA! Let people go comatose on Married at First Sight, Love Island and 316 different house-hunting shows, 450 cooking competitions and 7 billion survivor knock-offs and then cinemas are back, baby!

But also, what if... Survivor, but with all Hollywood stars? And I don't mean Mike White level, I'm talking men vs women, with one tribe Being The Rock, Vin Diesel and Tyrese, while the other has the likes of Brie Larson, Gal Gadot and Susan Sarandon. 

15 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Ghostbusters is definitely gonna move, I agree.

Question for me is if WB punts Aquaman, given...all things DC right now.

Then MCU reshuffle incoming again.

WB will keep Aquaman this Christmas since it will certainly be finished by then (it was filmed in 2021), has no direct competition (even WB's fellow December releases Wonka and The Color Purple won't have too much of an overlap), and the first made a gold mine over that same release period.

Edited by filmlover