Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

21 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Aquaman without Jason Momoa to promote it would do horribly since he's the only thing that movie has going for it.

Thye can show Jason as much as they want in the trailers for the movie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

That seems off salary/pay being .05% of revenue seems way to low

Depends on what the revenue is. I mean, I would have loved for that to be part of the thread, but say it's $10 Billion a year. That would make 0.05% out to be... uh... $5,000,000. Which would make .01% of that... only $1,000,000? Okay, that sounds... not right... now that I'm doing the math...

EDIT: STUDIOS MAKE TRILLIONS A YEAR?!?

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
STUDIOS MAKE HOW MUCH A YEAR?!?

10 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Eh. That’s not a great way to demonstrate it. When you use revenues, you’re opening yourself up way too much to too many variables, which undercuts your point.

Much better to say that the studios make 30 billion a year in profits, and all the unions only get 2% of that pie.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I don't think so.

How come? It's a non-review opinion piece from a journalistic publication saying people should see the film, but not once mentioning the ongoing strikes.

Maybe scabbing was the wrong word, but is it... frowned upon by the Unions?

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

10 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

How come? It's a non-review opinion piece from a journalistic publication saying people should see the film, but not once mentioning the ongoing strikes.

Maybe scabbing was the wrong word, but is it... frowned upon by the Unions?

SAG-AFTRA Strike FAQ: How the Rules Apply to Influencers, Journalists, Cosplayers and More

I’m a film critic. Can I review movies?

Absolutely. Critics are not on strike and are not obligated to stop reviewing movies or TV shows.

I’m an entertainment journalist. Can I cover movies and TV?

Yes. Entertainment journalists, whether they belong to a union or not, are not on strike. Even those broadcast journalists who are represented by SAG-AFTRA are not affected, as the strike relates only to the TV/Theatrical contract.

Should I boycott Netflix?

Neither the WGA nor SAG-AFTRA has called for a boycott of Netflix or any other platform, and it won’t make much of a difference if you do it on your own.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

Right, but the article isn't a review. The title is: The Best Part of ‘Barbie’ Happens Before the Film Even Begins

It's an article about womanhood, and yeah, it's great that women finally have a film for them that's doing really well and isn't about sex (sorry, 50 Shades), but this isn't a critical review of the film, so I don't know how that aspect of the FAQ has anything to do with the article.

Dear god, we are so fucking fucked. (insert smiley/reaction of choice HERE)

(posted here because of the context of the article being AI in the Arts)

"TV as background noise" has always been a joke of sorts with a grain of truth to it, but sakes alive let's not actually make it a real thing to base how to make shows.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Dear god, we are so fucking fucked. (insert smiley/reaction of choice HERE)

(posted here because of the context of the article being AI in the Arts)

"TV as background noise" has always been a joke of sorts with a grain of truth to it, but sakes alive let's not actually make it a real thing to base how to make shows.

They are also very dumb because they don't realize how often they actually are the primary screen.

• Like 1