keysersoze123

Weekdays Thread (4/17-20)

I mean Mario's success is moreso because it's Mario than because Puss in Boots made animated movies cool. When original animated movies that don't rely on being based off a nostalgic brand make good numbers, then we'll talk.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 3:45 AM, kayumanggi said:

7.40M | THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE

972K | AIR

870K | THE POPE'S EXORCIST

861K | RENFIELD

852K | JOHN WICK IV

806K | DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES

545K | SUZUME

4.82M | THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE

667K | JOHN WICK IV

643K | AIR

591K | THE POPE'S EXORCIST

581K | DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES

541K | RENFIELD

456K | SUZUME

• Thanks 1

I saw a noon showing of Air today. A total of four people were in attendance. The film was excellent. Terrific performances from Damon and Davis while the rest of the cast was great as well. The writing was top notch and Affleck delivers another fine film. If he ever retires from acting, he should definitely direct more films as he has turned out some fine directorial work.

Apart from the cast salaries, the film dumped a lot of money on music licensing as there are a lot of 80s songs in the film, although some of the songs were released after the film's timeframe of 1984. Still, it's always great to hear some Tangerine Dream on the big screen. 

My biggest complaint with the film is it didn't focus much on the actual release of the Air Jordan shoes. I was just kid back then; but the shoes were massively popular and exceptionally difficult to find as they were sold out in many stores despite their hefty price tag at the time. The deal revolutionized sports and superstar marketing and even that's understating it.

If Amazon's slate for the rest of the year is weak, I definitely think they will push this film for Oscar consideration and I wouldn't mind at all. It's worth watching if you don't mind a dialogue heavy film without any special effects or violence or an unknown plot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I am just happy we have potentially the biggest animate film of all time at the box office and Spiderverse looking like it could do damage too. It is borderline miraculous for animation given the state of animation at the BO since covid. 

All of Universal's animated movies since the pandemic have pretty much been keeping animation alive at the BO.

Sing 2, Bad Guys, Minions 2, Puss in Boots 2. Encanto and Sonic 2 were some others that were nice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Austin said:

All of Universal's animated movies since the pandemic have pretty much been keeping animation alive at the BO.

Sing 2, Bad Guys, Minions 2, Puss in Boots 2. Encanto and Sonic 2 were some others that were nice.

Croods 2 was the first one

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Evil Dead Rises Previews final - 48646/148478 758808.98 1003 shows

Sadly walkups were not great. I am thinking ~ 2.5m previews.  

A ratio similar to Scream VI would get it close to $20m, and without as much pent up demand, I could see it picking up. Feels like it has a big disadvantage of not getting a lot of PLF screens.

1 minute ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

A ratio similar to Scream VI would get it close to $20m, and without as much pent up demand, I could see it picking up. Feels like it has a big disadvantage of not getting a lot of PLF screens.

it has almost 3x shows starting tomorrow. It should have good multi. Let us see. 

Anyway I posted it on the wrong thread. Moved it to Tracking one. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

~ 4.55m

I think high 50s feels like the target for this weekend? Would need around a 200% increase on Friday but that should be doable. Think a multiplier around what Bad Guys/Sonic did last year feels way too optimistic.

But I do like using The Jungle Book (2016) as a comp for the remainder of its run a lot, which would put it just over $600m when all is said and done.

Not surprised by Evil Dead having weak walk ups. It is very much a film and franchise that people are either into or not at all, so people undecided are largely going to steer clear thanks to its reputation. 

As for Mario that number is in lime with what was expected, let's see if it lives up to the legendary Sonic comp and gives us another historic weekend.

1 minute ago, superduperm said:

Going to root for a $15M Friday. I know a 230% jump is a lot but Sonic 2 jumped more in back to back weeks so why the heck not for Mario?

A $15M Friday probably gets it to a $60M weekend.

15m Friday would guarantee a 60m+ weekend, no "probably" about it.

1 hour ago, Grebacio said:

Croods 2 was the first one

Oh you're right, I didn't even realize it got a theatrical release. Almost made as much as Lightyear but two years earlier in the pandemic lol.